Question Alder Lake - Official Thread

Page 57 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
Thread Director and Windows 11 observations with my new rig.

Last night I'm editing some video with Vegas Pro and then rendering using Render+, which is the "Happy Otter" add on for Vegas. It basically allows high quality x264/265 rendering. I notice that when Vegas is "on top" all 20 logical processors are at it but when I move to another apps the Gracemont cores take over. The thing Ian was concerned about.

I think I actually like this behavior. I was watching the UFC fight night on ESPN+ on the computer and also doing some Photoshop work so I had all of the P's at my disposal for Photoshop. The video was rendering just fine in the background and I didn't need it done immediately. Plus it can always be set to batch render.

If I was to fine tune this behavior I would have 4 P's "stay with me" on my current app while the rest stay with background processes.

But this is going to be a subjective thing, which will vary from person-to-person so I think the Thread Director is making the right decision by keeping the P's with the user. Perhaps in the future there could be a setting in Control Panel that allows you to assign P's and E's to foreground/background applications. So if you have 8 P's and 4E's like the 12700K you could select 4 P's as foreground and the rest to background as the OS deems necessary. Or if you really needed the background apps to crank you could select 2 E's for foreground for a little web browing or something?
It sounds like that Vegas Pro and Render+ are using dynamic cpu priority, next time see if priority changes when it goes to the background.

Either that or do you use Processlasso, that can have the same effect, but you can configure it however you want.

Some programs run below normal priority at startup which can sometimes give low cpu % usage, setting priority on these processes to above normal can force high usage.

Last edited:

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
View attachment 53862

What do you suppose would happen if you select Background Services on your system? Would that make all except one P-core tend to background stuff?
A long time ago, I recall reading that it mainly equalizes the priority of background services so that they have a better chance of being scheduled next to run and increasing the time that a thread can run before being thread switched away and therefore increasing throughput at the cost of responsiveness. But this was in the era of a single core systems, you probably wouldn't even notice anything when systems today have so many cores and SMT.

Jul 27, 2020
Question is, would this setting make background rendering faster by assigning more time slices from all cores, or would only E-cores do the background work while the P-cores sit mostly idle waiting to give time slices to foreground tasks as quickly as possible?

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
But this was in the era of a single core systems, you probably wouldn't even notice anything when systems today have so many cores and SMT.

Yeah, it is from era of single core. What it did, was provide the boost to the foreground process and the threads owned by that process. It did so at the cost of "fairness" to the background processes even if they were of same priority class. I don't think i have ever touched it in my career, even on those dual use workstations with Win2000 that also served as DB server for some business app, it was best kept alone.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
It seems for gaming only, the thing to do is turn off the e-cores:
These results are better than what I feared based on the STR initial testing, as long as the small cores are still being used we're still open for further software improvements and also complete chip utilization if some games end up scaling past 8 cores. (think turn based games where AI turn time matters). Turning off the E-cores is a simple solution for now (just like staying on Win10), but in the future I'd like to use the full potential of Intel's flagship chips.

If Intel is doubling down on E-cores with Raptor Lake then they need to keep improving thread allocation and inter-core latency, otherwise turning off 30% of your flagship compute silicon will be quite hard to swallow. As I said before, I expect to see further tuning from them early 2022, when mobile ADL gets launched. Those 2+8 chips better run like proven racetrack engines, not some early funding demo from a "revolutionary" startup.

Reactions: Leeea

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
It seems for gaming only, the thing to do is turn off the e-cores:

I posted that 2 pages back.

Look again at the "I got it wrong" title in the thumbnail. All you need to do, is don't disable your P cores.

There is only a problem here if you disable P cores, and only in Shadows of the Tomb Raider.

So basically ZERO issue in the real world. Zero need to disable e-cores.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I seem to remember the ~20% number for most Intel systems for years(preceding alder lake), and AMD was 30%. So its good that the new Intel's as 30% also.
SMT gains are an indirect measurement of how much of the CPU is sitting idle. It is great to be able to recover that performance for applications that can benefit. But it is also a measure of how overengineered the chips are and not all applications benefit from it. In an ideal world, both Intel and AMD would both be simply 30% faster and not need SMT to recover that lost performance.

When Alder Lake went wider and deeper on many of its components, that meant that there is more excess capacity. More SMT performance is to be expected.

Reactions: controlflow

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I seem to remember the ~20% number for most Intel systems for years(preceding alder lake), and AMD was 30%. So its good that the new Intel's as 30% also.

Here's a HT/No HT test on the 8700K:

the HT provides 29% more performance compared to no HT

More tests: (30% higher for 8700K with HT, 35% higher 7700K):
CB20-p.webp

Reactions: lightmanek

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Here's a HT/No HT test on the 8700K:
One thing to note is that benchmark is about the ideal situation to show off SMT. It will be near the top end of gains. A lot of other software show much more moderate gains. Some rare software has performance losses with SMT.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
It's not a secret that AMD SMT from OG Zen has been extracting more performance from it's wide cores if compared to Intel Skylake based CPUs, this has changed since their new Sony Cove/Cypress Cove wider cores, they are about even now about 30%

Reactions: Markfw

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
One thing to note is that benchmark is about the ideal situation to show off SMT. It will be near the top end of gains. A lot of other software show much more moderate gains. Some rare software has performance losses with SMT.

Well obviously something has to be highly MT to show bigger gains from HT. Techspot tested multiple MT applications, and they got 25%-35%. Which is basically around 30%.

If someone has HT/No HT test for Alder Lake, we can see what it gets and if there is any overlap in the tests.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
It's not a secret that AMD SMT from OG Zen has been extracting more performance from it's wide cores if compared to Intel Skylake based CPUs, this has changed since their new Sony Cove/Cypress Cove wider cores, they are about even now about 30%

The two designs don't use exactly the same SMT. The way they split resources are different.

So I suspect Intel wanted to prioritize for single thread performance by going for a more unified approach(So resources will be split into two with HT) while AMD went for a distributed approach because that'll result in better SMT gains. The "unified vs distributed" design philosophy between the Core team and AMD's team is pervasive. AMD went for a more distributed scheduler design and Intel a unified Int/FP scheduler for example.

Sunny Cove gains weren't as good as AMD's. The consensus is that AMD got greater gains and only with Golden Cove Intel changed that.

Reactions: Markfw

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
I suspect Intel wanted to prioritize for single thread performance by going for a more unified approach(So resources will be split into two with HT) while AMD went for a distributed approach because that'll result in better SMT gains. The "unified vs distributed" design philosophy between the Core team and AMD's team is pervasive. AMD went for a more distributed scheduler design and Intel a unified Int/FP scheduler for example.
Can you Elaborate on this Fascinating Subject? As far as I am aware way back on the old Pentium 4 days, Intel spent 5% die area for a maxium 20% performance uplift, but I am not sure if this has been remain the same all the way to Alder lake.

1638835976831.png

Has AMD disclose how much of the Die Size they are using for SMT?

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
No it's not, just as you yourself mentioned "SMT gains are an indirect measurement of how much of the CPU is sitting idle. " software that uses the least amount of CPU resources would be the most ideal situation, things like games or general windows usage where threads are just made to do what they need instead of software that does all the compute it can get it's hands on.
In games HTT can give as much performance as a real core, but of course if you already have enough real cores to max out a game then HTT won't do anything.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Looks like Intel is going to release a i7 H with 6 big and 4 small, even though the top i5 might have 4 big and 8 small. Also the EU count is cut to 64.

Reactions: nicalandia

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012

R81Z3N1

Jul 15, 2017
Wow, just wonder what cost this will add to folks build. Now that you have to consider a good socket, as well as a good cooler. Not to mention the Win 11 issues with threads and NVME drives.

Reactions: lightmanek