Discussion Alder Lake - Builders Thread

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This thread is for those of us that own or are looking to get an Alder Lake CPU.

Bought mine on release day. 12900K. Memory selection was limited to only Crucial DDR5 4800 at the Micro Center I went to. Bought two 2 x 8GB kits. Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master. I did buy a 360mm Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO. Ended up returning it since the Lian Li Socket 1700 backplate that I bought separately worked well with my NZXT Kraken X73.

46RRrSN.jpg

Last edited:

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I'm running my server on Linux and it's quite snappy for several functions it's performing from routing/switching to video from Plex. Last I checked Linux was still wrapping things up for a TD type scheduler. Right now I'm running 5.17.rc4 for the kernel.
What does your server have as far as specs go?? Any issues with multitasking inside linux??

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
What does your server have as far as specs go?? Any issues with multitasking inside linux??

I've seen no issues other than self induced by kernel updates.

I'm running it as my router/switch/firewall/Plex ota&streaming/several monitoring apps/NAS/raid/dual NVME drives and have seen great performance from it.

Reactions: Justinbaileyman

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Sorry don't know if my post was against the rules, I was jus trying to answer your question. Not trying to point fingers or judge anyone. Just explaining my own crazy thoughts and idea's not that I always make sense.

I'll just clarify it's legally not your problem -

The retailer has no right to charge you for the laptop you didn't order.
They have no right to not send you the product you did order (or a full refund).
They have no right to make you do anything unreasonable or pay any money to send back a product you didn't order. Driving 1 hour or paying any money (especially $75!) is unreasonable.

The FTC has clear strict rules about this. Legally, they were completely in the wrong and legally, you had every right to refuse to return it without them sending you a paid shipping label and you had zero obligation to do anything further. The FTC even states in their rules a consumer has no obligation to return an item in this scenario, at all. They simply suggest a reasonable consumer should be willing to put forth a reasonable amount of effort return the item at no cost to themselves.

They really played you, and you should not be ok with it.

I have had this issue before and retailers act as if you owe them something. Once you clarify to them they are violating the FTC rules and you won't stand for it, they fold immediately. They probably would have sent you a paid return label.

The FTC considers a consumer receiving an item they did not order to be a free gift. This is due to old scams where a company would send you a product you didn't order and then send you a bill, or make you pay to send it back to them.

This is why it's merely a suggestion a reasonable consumer would be willing to put forth a reasonable effort to return it at no cost to themselves, in case it was a legitimate error on the part of the business.

/off soapbox.

Last edited:

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I decided to go with a 5950x and I also got a i5-12400 for some light gaming. Just need a cheapo mobo for the i5-12400. Couldn't pass up the 5950x for $599 and I get to pick it up right from the store no shipping involved this time. With my $125 rewards points it came out to $507 with tax for the 5950x but I had to pay full price for the 12400 unfortunately. Now I feel a bit better because I will get a nice little upgrade with my 5950x and I will get to play with Alderlake even though I kinda cheaped out and will be using a DDR4 mobo with left over parts I have laying around.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Well, the parts came today.... While I was in ER ! Home now. I put the CPU is the socket and the NVME drive in, but I need to recover, so no more building tonight !

Oh, and I screwed up. The cpu I ordered was a 12700F, not a K. Not sure how I missed that. I have a 9800 GT+ (very old) but it works OK. More later...

Edit: Question though, the CPU latching lever seemed to exert a lot of force, way more than socket 2011-3. Is this normal ? And the heatsink I mentioned (Prolimia Megahalems) backplate fits through the motherboard perfectly ! Debating if I should even try to install it, as the downforce of the heatsink could be way off and damage things.

Reactions: Drazick

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Edit: Question though, the CPU latching lever seemed to exert a lot of force, way more than socket 2011-3. Is this normal ? And the heatsink I mentioned (Prolimia Megahalems) backplate fits through the motherboard perfectly ! Debating if I should even try to install it, as the downforce of the heatsink could be way off and damage things.

I don't have any experience with LGA1700 specifically but all intel LGA sockets I've uses were extremely tough to seat the very first time, which beds in the pins. After the CPU has been clamped in a while, subsequent removals/resocketings are significantly less force.

Maybe someone with LGA1700 experience can confirm its still the same deal.

Jul 27, 2020
Jul 27, 2020
I don't have any experience with LGA1700 specifically but all intel LGA sockets I've uses were extremely tough to seat the very first time, which beds in the pins. After the CPU has been clamped in a while, subsequent removals/resocketings are significantly less force.

Maybe someone with LGA1700 experience can confirm its still the same deal.
I can confirm that. I had to exert a lot of force to get the lever down into place and I honestly am surprised that the pins are not getting bent by so much force. I don't know when ZIF (Zero insertion force) went out of fashion :confused:

Jul 27, 2020
And the heatsink I mentioned (Prolimia Megahalems) backplate fits through the motherboard perfectly ! Debating if I should even try to install it, as the downforce of the heatsink could be way off and damage things.
I wouldn't risk it. LGA1700 as a socket isn't the best, judging by some of the more scary reports of IHS getting warped.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Yikes. Blood clots are not fun. If you are blood type A, better take an aspirin daily to keep your blood thin, with the doctor's approval, of course.
I am on blood thinners, for the last 8 years.

Back on topic... Why of the specs on the 12700k so different from the 12700F. The F has no video IGP, so if anything, it should clock higher, but base is 2.1 ?? And max is 4.9 instead of 5.1 ? Trying to decide if its worth the extra $100.....

Jul 27, 2020

Back on topic... Why of the specs on the 12700k so different from the 12700F.
12700F is 65W. It might overclock higher due to the disabled iGPU. Though that would have to be BCLK OC?

And the K series now supports ECC RAM, with a workstation chipset.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
12700F is 65W. It might overclock higher due to the disabled iGPU. Though that would have to be BCLK OC?
By accident, it might have been better for me, since it will run 100% load 24/7.

But question, how can you stand that the factory heatsink is surrounded by plastic, make to look like its part of the aluminum ?? Thats is the cheapest most deceiving thing I have ever seen, even from Intel.

Last edited:

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Are there any b660 mobo's with a clock gen chip for BCLK overclocking?? Or how about the Z690-p Asus prime D4 wifi does that have one?? I dont absolutely need to have it but it would be nice..

Jul 27, 2020
Are there any b660 mobo's with a clock gen chip for BCLK overclocking??

1646712271738.png

Seems Asus mobos have this habit of showing a black screen a bit too long, hence the necessity of that message. Experienced it myself on the Asus H610M. It was a bit unnerving.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Well, the parts came today.... While I was in ER !

Ugh. Sorry you had to go there.

Edit: Question though, the CPU latching lever seemed to exert a lot of force, way more than socket 2011-3. Is this normal ?

There was an issue with LGA1700 motherboards suffering from bent sockets. Your problem might be related, though many users have reported that the issue was mostly overblown.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001

Back on topic... Why of the specs on the 12700k so different from the 12700F. The F has no video IGP, so if anything, it should clock higher, but base is 2.1 ?? And max is 4.9 instead of 5.1 ? Trying to decide if its worth the extra $100.....
Since you put a high importance on energy efficiency, I assume you wouldn't want the higher powered 12700K. The 12900K was the most energy efficient at 75 W. I assume the 12700F will be most energy efficient around that power level as well. But it will be nice to see with actual data since there are not a lot of reviewers of that model. Scroll to the bottom of the last chart: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/...er-lake-tested-at-various-power-limits/8.html

Jul 27, 2020
But question, how can you stand that the factory heatsink is surrounded by plastic, make to look like its part of the aluminum ?? Thats is the cheapest most deceiving thing I have ever seen, even from Intel.
I guess I might feel that way if I paid for an i7. For an i5, I thought the heatsink was okay.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, its assembled. Put I can not get it to boot from USB stick. Whats up ? tried 2 different usb sticks.

Edit: It only works on USB 2.0 ports. My X570 works anywhere. Just have to get used to Intel crap.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
New problem. NO internet. Its plugged in, the port light goes out on the back when I unplug it there or at the switch. Now what ?

So the yellow indicates connected at 10/100/1000 and the blinking green shows activity. So whats wrong ???? Its windows 10 not activated. But would it have to have a network connection to activate ??

WTF ??????

Last edited: