Albums with more than 3 "hit" songs

neomits

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
My buddies and I were having a discussion today trying to think of albums that have come out that have had MORE than 3 "hit" songs. We described a "hit" song as a song that go the number one spot on a billboard or was played quite a bit on the radio. Best of.... and Greatest Hit albums do not count.

What can you come up with. 3 seems to be the magic number with most artists' albums.

SWirth86

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
The reason most albums don't have more than 3 hit songs is because if they did, they would be over-played so much.

Apr 5, 2000
Didn't the Marshall Mathers LP have more than 3? I'm not sure if all of these were #1 but the U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind CD has Beautiful Day, Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out of, Elevation, and Walk On - all popular songs all over the radio (one of those was nominated twice in 2 years for a Grammy)

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
Originally posted by: SWirth86
The reason most albums don't have more than 3 hit songs is because if they did, they would be over-played so much.

Another guess might be that if they put a bunch of good songs on one cd, a bunch of people will buy that cd. If they spread the songs out onto later cds, they'll sell more in the long run.

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Metallica's self-titled comes to mind, as does Guns n' Roses "Appetite For Destruction." One of my current favorites also qualifies, I think: Puddle of Mudd's "Come Clean."

Burnt

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2001
Green Day - Dookie (Basket Case, Longview, When I come around)
Aerosmith - Get a Grip (Cryin', Amazing, Crazy)

and alot more

neomits

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Originally posted by: GuybrushThreepwood
U2: Greatest Hits, also known as Joshua Tree

"Best of.... and Greatest Hit albums do not count."

What are 3 from Puddle of Mudd.... I only know of 3

neomits

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Burnt
Green Day - Dookie (Basket Case, Longview, When I come around)
Aerosmith - Get a Grip (Cryin', Amazing, Crazy)

and alot more

MORE than 3!!!

GT578

Feb 7, 2000
Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

I guess only Wonderwall would be considered a hit here in the U.S. as well as Champagne Supernova ...but Some Might Say and Roll With It were hits in the UK.......as well as the other two mentioned....does that count?

Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: neomits

What he means is that the Joshua Tree album basically is a greatest hits album - it has most of U2's best songs on there and all were new songs when it was released in '87

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Britney Spears - Oops! I Did It Again (Stronger, Lucky, Oops! I Did It Again, Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know)

I think they all hit #1 on the Billboard.

and

Britney Spears - Britney (I'm A Slave For You, Overprotected, I'm not a Girl (Not Yet A Woman) )

That's only three but I am sure there will be more.

: ) Amanda

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Linkin Park still gets lots of playtime, and that came out when...? Like October 2000 or something.

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Puddle of Mudd's current three are Control, Blurry, and Drift and Die. They're going to be releasing She Hates Me soon, though. As far as I'm concerned, just about every song on Come Clean could be a single. One of my favorite albums.

way

Oct 9, 1999
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins

1. Tonight, Tonight
2. 1979
3. Zero
4. Bullet With Butterfly Wings
5. 33

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: way
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins

1. Tonight, Tonight
2. 1979
3. Zero
4. Bullet With Butterfly Wings
5. 33

Definitely one of the greatest albums ever.

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Originally posted by: neomits

What he means is that the Joshua Tree album basically is a greatest hits album - it has most of U2's best songs on there and all were new songs when it was released in '87

Thank you, BITCH

CKDragon

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2001
Nirvana - Nevermind: (Lithium, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Come As You Are, In Bloom)
Hootie and the Blowfish :p - Cracked Rear View: (I Only Want to Be With You, Hold My Hand, Time, Let Her Cry)
Limp Bizkit - Significant Other: (Nookie, re-Arranged, Break Stuff, n 2 gether Now)

I'm sure there's more pop crap that has 4+ songs off of one CD. The boy bands must have 50 singles by now that all sound the same.

CK

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Rush - Moving Pictures? (Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Red Barchetta) dunno how well those songs did but they are always on Rush greatest hits compilations :)

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Nirvana - Nevermind

Smells Like Teen Spirit
Come As You Are
Lithium
In Bloom

This is one of the best albums ever.