Alabama passed a near-total abortion ban with no exceptions for rape or incest

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Reactions: drifter106

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
People can try and take a middle road with abortion but in order to be logically consistent there can only be two positions; abortion is legal and the woman has control over her own body or abortion is murder. There is no logical consistency to those that say a woman has a right to an abortion...except... Just as there is no logical consistency for people who believe that a woman cannot murder a fetus...except...

Women either have control of their body or they don't.

Of course you can view it that way, because you discount the life that is killed. The rights of the child to live.

Are you logically consistent, can a child be killed on the DAY OF their birth, simply because they haven't left the womb yet? The day before? Why not after? They cannot survive without the sacrifice of labor, of time, of vitality TAKEN from the mother. Maybe taking care of a two month old is also done against her will. Let's be consistent here, maybe child support is against the parent's will.

Is a two month preemie not a person, should the medical staff just neglect them and let nature take its course? Try telling a mother that her child is just a clump of cells because they did not reach some magical date. Or you could be consistent and admit that late term abortion is most certainly murder of a child.

So you see, there is PLENTY of grey room between conception and birth.

There is no perfect solution, there's just whatever compromise we can derive in order to keep the peace and satisfy both sides that we avoided the worst possible outcome.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
So now only criminals will get abortions?

I wonder where all the rapey GOP senators and other legislators in Alabama are going to have to go to get their girlfriends' and daughters' abortions?

Is Roy Moore going to have to flee now?
Concierge Abortion Doctors.

The rich and those in power will never have a problem getting an abortion anywhere.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Bottom line, it's on the Alabama women to fix this.

All those assholes have wives, and they should collectively cut them off. The Great American Pokeout.

Give it about a month, they'll get a clue.

Clearly you've never been to Philippines or India.. abortion being illegal and children panhandling as far as the eye can see.

And 8 year old girls selling blowjobs in the alleys. Abortion is illegal in Thailand too. I'm sure Republicants will be hoping to find that a rather happy result for them.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Where you messed up is conflating a family's feels with actual laws that recognize a fetus as a person, there aren't any. Sure there are increased penalties for murdering a woman and her fetus but they are similar to hate crimes penalties and no one thinks hate crime victims get additional rights that non hate crime victims get.

People can try and take a middle road with abortion but in order to be logically consistent there can only be two positions; abortion is legal and the woman has control over her own body or abortion is murder. There is no logical consistency to those that say a woman has a right to an abortion...except... Just as there is no logical consistency for people who believe that a woman cannot murder a fetus...except...

If you believe a fetus is a person, a woman’s control of her body is secondary as she is the host of another life.

The feels very much come into this discussion because there is no societal consensus on when life begins, and I am not even taking religion into account with that statement.

I can’t say with certainty that it happens at conception, nor do I agree with the idea that viability should be the line in the sand.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Please explain the relevance to incels. They'll suddenly be able to get laid?? WTF?

Well, Alabama has effectively decriminalized rape AND incest. Knock up your daughter's sister, they still have to have your kid.

That's something I'm sure Trump can relate to.

1557956180878.jpeg

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Well, Alabama has effectively decriminalizee rape AND incest. Knock up your daughter's sister, they still have to have your kid.

That's something I'm sure Trump can relate to.

View attachment 6363
What kind of hyperbole is this? The previous penalty for rape / incest was allowing the mother to abort the baby? So there's no penalty for rape / incest when it doesn't result in pregnancy? You really believe rapists are all trying to make babies?

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Where you messed up is conflating a family's feels with actual laws that recognize a fetus as a person, there aren't any. Sure there are increased penalties for murdering a woman and her fetus but they are similar to hate crimes penalties and no one thinks hate crime victims get additional rights that non hate crime victims get.

I disagree that there can't be a middle road, at least in terms of the philosophy regarding abortion. On the one hand, I'd say that anyone that feels that the fetus should be treated as equivalent to a person starting from the moment of conception is ludicrous. On the flip side, I'd say that anyone arguing that a fetus the day before birth is of any less moral value than a born baby is equally ludicrous. I would also contend that providing a woman 7 months time to get an abortion provides her with ample opportunity to make decisions regarding her own body. If there really were cases where women waited until the 9th month of pregnancy and then just randomly decided to have an abortion, I would actually oppose her right to do so. Just as I would oppose a woman's right to not feed a newborn child. A person's right to his or her own body does not extend to neglect of a dependent child. I would say that this is a valid argument towards the end of a pregnancy, however not at the beginning of the pregnancy.

However, it basically never happens that women just suddenly decide they don't want the baby for arbitrary reasons during the final trimester. If a woman gets an abortion because the pregnancy is unwanted, she does it as early as possible (no woman wants to go through the physical process of pregnancy). When women get late term abortions, its because either the mother's health or the health of the fetus has problems. And decisions about the appropriate course of action in such cases should be made by the woman and her doctor, not a lawyer in a courtroom.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Being forced to take responsibility for making a baby -- isn't that quite the opposite of being "free to knock-up anyone?"
Forcing the woman to have the baby in no way forces the father to be responsible for said baby.

Reactions: whm1974

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Forcing the woman to have the baby in no way forces the father to be responsible for said baby.

AND in the case of the 11-year-old CHILD that was knocked up, by forcing her to have the baby, they just made an instant "anchor baby" for the father to stay in the country with a green card.

Direct from the School of Unintended Consequences!

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Go small government!

So now we'll have cops interrogating women who miscarry.

Next we'll need government to take on the responsibility for women when they get pregnant, because they can't be trusted to carry the child to term. Pregnancy farms! Then we need to determine the financial value of a miscarriage for the woman when she is under government care, but something still goes wrong. She needs to be compensated for that government failure.

I only have middle fingers for anyone that's anti-choice. This is all horrific bullshit.

Ethics require us to value the rights of a conscious person over something incapable of consciousness.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Please explain the relevance to incels. They'll suddenly be able to get laid?? WTF?

It seems the implication is that incels can't get woman to procreate willingly, so rape is now an alternative to procreation with any woman you like, because she can't terminate the pregnancy.

It really didn't seem that hard to grasp.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
It seems the implication is that incels can't get woman to procreate willingly, so rape is now an alternative to procreation with any woman you like, because she can't terminate the pregnancy.

Incels have a hard time understanding english. And decency.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

Incels aren't choosing not to have sex ("involuntarily celibate"). Also it's a very strange jump to assume most rapists and incels even want to procreate. Most would just want sexual gratification.

Last edited: