Alabama passed a near-total abortion ban with no exceptions for rape or incest

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Because a human life is on the line, at stake in these proceedings. Humans have no right to murder the innocent. And at some point between conception and birth it is barbaric to murder a viable child.
Based on what evidence do you conclude life begins at conception? If you can't conclude that don't you realize others may conclude it, therefore the decision needs to remain with the woman.

Outside interference in these types of decisions usually goes horribly wrong. Doubt that? Google, Terry Schivo.

Nov 8, 2012
Based on what evidence do you conclude life begins at conception? If you can't conclude that don't you realize others may conclude it, therefore the decision needs to remain with the woman.

Outside interference in these types of decisions usually goes horribly wrong. Doubt that? Google, Terry Schivo.

You do realize this will always be a debate, right?

As someone that had their kid born at 26 weeks.... a full fucking trimester before the kid was due I can give you first-hand knowledge... What's in there is definitely alive and well. We met plenty of people in the hospital that had ones as early as 23 if I recall.... And we keep further advancing at how early we can save them.

Personally, I find abortion to be pretty bad from a moral perspective. But hey - I'm not your morals - and folks that get abortions are probably doing the world a favor by keeping their low IQ from spreading so have at it.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002

As someone that had their kid born at 26 weeks.... a full fucking trimester before the kid was due I can give you first-hand knowledge... What's in there is definitely alive and well. We met plenty of people in the hospital that had ones as early as 23 if I recall.... And we keep further advancing at how early we can save them.

Personally, I find abortion to be pretty bad from a moral perspective. But hey - I'm not your morals - and folks that get abortions are probably doing the world a favor by keeping their low IQ from spreading so have at it.
There is a ton of difference between 22, 23, and 26 weeks. Those born at 22/23 weeks are very unlikely to survive even if they're given the best care currently available, and of those that do survive half end up with severe health issues including blindness and mental disabilities. Your kid got lucky, if he was born just 3 weeks earlier chances are you wouldn't be posting this.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Haha, watch Idiocracy again.

Nov 8, 2012
There is a ton of difference between 22, 23, and 26 weeks. Those born at 22/23 weeks are very unlikely to survive even if they're given the best care currently available, and of those that do survive half end up with severe health issues including blindness and mental disabilities. Your kid got lucky, if he was born just 3 weeks earlier chances are you wouldn't be posting this.

I certainly do know this. But... as I said... we keep advancing medically. It used to be if a kid was even born at 30 weeks they wouldn't survive... Actually, it's still that way in a lot of countries.

The point being though is people still advocate to get abortions as late as before the 3rd trimester.

Nov 25, 2013
High IQ folks don't get abortions, they are responsible people in life and don't get pregnant to begin with (majority of time) ;) Nice try.

Educate yourself

"Educational goals are often cited as a reason to delay childbearing, as many individuals wish to complete their schooling and better position themselves economically before having children.21 In 2014, some 9% of abortion patients aged 20 or older had less than a high school degree, and the overwhelming majority—91%—had graduated from high school; more than one in five had a college degree. The proportion of patients aged 20 or older who had not graduated from high school declined significantly over the six-year period (from 12% to 9%).

In 2014, some 24% of all abortion patients were currently attending school, including 72% of minors and 53% of 18–19-year-olds (not shown). Only 14% of those currently in school had not graduated from high school; 66% had some college or a college degree, suggesting that most abortion patients who were students were pursuing postsecondary degrees."

https://www.guttmacher.org/report/characteristics-us-abortion-patients-2014

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
It is kind of funny that when McConnell uses the powers of Congress to deny Obama the ability to appoint a justice that conservatives are fine with it but when liberals talk about using the powers of Congress to add justices that’s somehow a coup or whatever.

Who knows it if will happen but it it does conservatives have simply reaped what they have sown.

Perhaps, but one would think we'd learn the lesson: The SCOTUS is too powerful, and now we're going to turn it into a third legislature as a result.

But to my question: Why not pass a law? Isn't that much more durable than a supreme court decision?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Perhaps, but one would think we'd learn the lesson: The SCOTUS is too powerful, and now we're going to turn it into a third legislature as a result.

But to my question: Why not pass a law? Isn't that much more durable than a supreme court decision?

No, it’s vastly less durable.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

Actually, you proved the point I made earlier. Take it out, put it on the ground. It won't always live, but if it does, it's a human. If it doesn't, that's the biz.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Because a human life is on the line, at stake in these proceedings. Humans have no right to murder the innocent. And at some point between conception and birth it is barbaric to murder a viable child.

And many women are choosing to do this? Abort a viable child? *viable - defined as being able to live outside the womb *

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Don't believe in abortion, don't have one.

Mar 11, 2004
Are all anti abortion controlled governments insane?
Seems major lawsuits could be made for violation of PIIP data.

Er, well, yeah, because inherently to be for total abortion bans is insane. Literally even GOD fucking aborts fetuses all the time (well if actually believe that god's in control of that).

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
High IQ folks don't get abortions, they are responsible people in life and don't get pregnant to begin with (majority of time) ;) Nice try.
I would surmise most practice birth control. Are they the same crowd that push abstinence only sex ed??

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
A law would explicitly name and protect abortion. The Constitution does not.
The 4th, 5th, and 14th protect the right to an abortion by guaranteeing the rights of self-ownership, to due process, and to equal protection of the laws.