Alabama passed a near-total abortion ban with no exceptions for rape or incest

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
None, which is why it rare. We as a society restrict and perceive late term abortions a certain way, partially due to the risk to the mother and partially because it is uncomfortable to fathom or justify terminating a viable child.

A definite scientific establishment of consciousness would set boundaries just as viability does today.

The fact that you have to project nonsense betrays your intellectual honesty.
My point is your characterize people as wanting late term abortion Nobody "wants" it but it is necessary sometimes and must remain legal.

Reactions: Victorian Gray

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
If that were true, then late term abortions would be just as acceptable as first trimester abortions, but they are not.

You would be equivalent to a climate denier if you dismissed conciousness as a choice.
Late term abortions are perfectly acceptable. I don't differentiate between weeks arbitrarily. Some late terms kids have no functional brain, or spine, or have malformed hearts not sustainable with life. I have no problem waiting till the last minute to terminate those pregnancies or any pregnancy. I don't see how as a person I have a right to tell a woman living in another town what to do with her fetus.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
to be fair to GOP legislators, they are always going to be confused about rape and consensual sex because rape is the only way that they have ever understood for sex to occur between a male and a female, and I guess really a male and a male.

trying to explain to them that it doesn't really work that way, over these last many years, has really just confused and angered them. That is why the lash out like this and make spectacular fools of themselves in public.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You responded that abortion is a binary choice for a woman to make decisions about her body. We’ve already established and you acknowledged that SCOTUS would place limitations based on viability, and I expect they would do the same once we scientifically establish the moment of consciousness.

Uh no we didn't establish that. Do you just have a habit of lying to try and make a point?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Uh no we didn't establish that. Do you just have a habit of lying to try and make a point?
I misread your previous post. You said that SCOTUS would rule against laws restricting late term abortions.

We as a society, however, have set a line around viability, even if that line is not a rigid one, and I expect a similar line would form around consciousness.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I misread your previous post. You said that SCOTUS would rule against laws restricting late term abortions.

We as a society, however, have set a line around viability, even if that line is not a rigid one, and I expect a similar line would form around consciousness.

Society may have unwritten rules but society doesn't get to tell me what I can and can't do with my body. Why is that different for a woman. Why does society get to dictate what a woman does to her body? Are there any other laws where similar rules apply?

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
A definite scientific establishment of consciousness would set boundaries just as viability does today.

What makes you think it's even possible for us to come up with a scientific definition of consciousness? At it's heart, that's a philosophical question.

If you mean "sentience", that's still hard to nail down, but IMO, even newborns would likely be excluded.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
What makes you think it's even possible for us to come up with a scientific definition of consciousness? At it's heart, that's a philosophical question.

If you mean "sentience", that's still hard to nail down, but IMO, even newborns would likely be excluded.
Totally agree. The answer has nothing to do with science.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Focus on Republican Rep. Barry Hovis who as linked above, believes rape is no big deal.
Women like it, and asked for it.
That is basically what Barry Hovis is saying which leads one to ask, HEY BARRY HOVIS, HOW MANY WOMEN HAVE YOU RAPE AND BRUSHED IT OFF AS.... "THEY ASKED FOR IT" ???

I mean, just look at the fat fart Hovis.
He looks like the kind of guy that no woman would give a second look, the kind of fat head redneck that could never get a date so he resorted to rape. Then to justify, believes in his mind his victims wanted it.
Because really..... what woman could refuse a stud like Barry Hovis?
Oh I know... ALL OF THEM.

We do not have right wing pro-lifer congressmen writing these strict abortion laws, we have rapist sitting in congress writing these strict abortion laws. And if that doesn't warrant an all out war against these lawmakers and what they are trying to do, well I don't know what would. Women have to get down right mean and fight back.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Society may have unwritten rules but society doesn't get to tell me what I can and can't do with my body. Why is that different for a woman. Why does society get to dictate what a woman does to her body? Are there any other laws where similar rules apply?
Because once the unborn child is conscious of its own existence, her body becomes secondary to the rights of the distinct person she is now responsible for.

A newborn child cannot survive on its own outside of the womb. The legal system tried Scott Peterson for killing his wife and unborn son.

There is a point at which a fetus becomes a person. Our understanding of that inflection point will evolve.

There are no comperable laws because this scenario is unique to pregnancy...and perhaps conjoined twins.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

So when does a person become a person to which we extend Constitutional protection? I don’t consider a religious explanation to be acceptable.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Because once the unborn child is conscious of its own existence, her body becomes secondary to the rights of the distinct person she is now responsible for.

A newborn child cannot survive on its own outside of the womb. The legal system tried Scott Peterson for killing his wife and unborn son.

There is a point at which a fetus becomes a person. Our understanding of that inflection point will evolve.

There are no comperable laws because this scenario is unique to pregnancy...and perhaps conjoined twins.

So a woman doesn't get to have a say with what happens to be body?

Congrats, you are an authoritarian.

To show how horrible your argument is, go ahead an provide us with a scientific definition of consciousness. Even if we use the dictionary definition your test fails as even a new born baby isn't aware of their environment. So what you are doing is a trying to standardize a definition that's not clearly defined in order to subjugate women to your will.

Reactions: MrPickins

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Just wasted my time listening to Kay Ivey attempt to support their religious intrusion into state law. Holy crap is that one dumb peanut farmer. Someone point that dinosaur towards the tar pit, maybe the rest will follow.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
So a woman doesn't get to have a say with what happens to be body?
Not when it impacts the child she is carrying. Many states prosecute mothers for abusing substances that negatively impact the health and development of their unborn children. We’ve tried murderers for the death of both their pregnant victim and her unborn child.

Congrats, you are an authoritarian.
Congrats, you’re being obtuse

To show how horrible your argument is, go ahead an provide us with a scientific definition of consciousness. Even if we use the dictionary definition your test fails as even a new born baby isn't aware of their environment. So what you are doing is a trying to standardize a definition that's not clearly defined in order to subjugate women to your will.
Consciousness or self is a combination of biological function and mental awareness, which manifests itself as the ability to experience or process stimuli such as pain, sound, scent, light, etc.

Even in Row V Wade, SCOTUS acknowledged the balance of the mother’s right relative to those of the child, and did not define a woman’s right as absolute. Initially, trimesters defined this balance. Later, viability. What I am saying is that a better understanding of prenatal consciousness could define the balance even more.

If science could establish that a fetus can experience pain at four weeks, this arguably imposes a suffering on the unborn that by default extends to it Constitutional protections.

Paramedics don’t just give up because a heart stops. We sustain life using machines even after brain activity ceases. We don’t euthanize dementia patients simply because they’ve lost the memories that define who they are.

But you know all of that.

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Cows experience pain but we don’t give them constitutional protections. The ability to react to stimulus does not mean constitutional protections automatically attach. A fetus is not an independent creature capable of living on its own.

But I am sure our 43rd favorite tv character from the 70s knows all these things and chooses to ignore them.

Reactions: DarthKyrie