Ah, you have lunch debt? Only jelly sammies for YOU!!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I think the kids are glad to get any lunch.
You very apparently don't have any kids.

If you're going to insist that it be the same lunch for "shame" reasons you have a couple options:

The school intentionally created a specific meal intended to shame the kids. This is a far cry from just giving them a cheap meal. If you had read the thread you would see that it has been pointed out that the 'shame meal' is not even any cheaper then a normal meal.

May 13, 2009
Just curious why the school is the bad guy here when it's the parents not paying for the lunches? If you have a kid be prepared to provide for it. I'm not sure why that is such a hard concept to grasp for some? The school is providing a valuable lesson to the students. If you want the good shit you have to work hard and pay for it. Its a tough world out there and now is as good a time as any for them to learn.
I had an awful childhood that I wouldn't wish on anyone. It made me stronger in the end though.

May 13, 2009
Yea, but that's not everyone. It's not black and white, like you said.

There are endless scenario's to go over if we wished to. Here's my stance: School Breakfast and Lunch is available to students, no questions. In a country that wastes an estimated 30-40% of our food supply, quibbling over this matter is foolish. Debating it is foolish. Punishing students for it is foolish

https://www.usda.gov/oce/foodwaste/faqs.htm
You're welcome to spend your money however you wish. There are charities out there for feeding people that need assistance. You can donate as much as youd like to whichever charity you desire. I for one pay enough taxes and would like the parents to feed their own children.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You're welcome to spend your money however you wish. There are charities out there for feeding people that need assistance. You can donate as much as youd like to whichever charity you desire. I for one pay enough taxes and would like the parents to feed their own children.

Hah, read the article.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

Both false and irelevant.

The school intentionally created a specific meal intended to shame the kids. This is a far cry from just giving them a cheap meal. If you had read the thread you would see that it has been pointed out that the 'shame meal' is not even any cheaper then a normal meal.

So basically your goal is to protect folks from any sense of shame from not paying your bills and having society need to take care of your basic needs on your behalf? Good luck with that, you might feel better about it but the kids know better. There's hundreds if not thousands of different social markers and behaviors that spotlight kids as poor every day and you're focusing on whether they get a sandwich or some terrible mystery meat soup. How about spending some time and effort on things that actually matters like discipline, and tutors, and parents who actually give a shit and are involved in their kids' lives? How are you going to shield them from the shame when they go home for the day and single Mommy ignores them while spending the family's lunch money on meth?

May 13, 2009

A shame meal? lol. Could you point me to the place I can buy vegetables and meat for the same price as a loaf of bread and pb and jelly? I'd like to shop there. The intention was for the deadbeat parents to pay their debts. Don't pay your taxes or your mortgage and see what happens.