Age is just a number when it comes to objects?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: fleabag
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
Originally posted by: AVAFREAK182
Originally posted by: fleabag
Originally posted by: AVAFREAK182
How long has it been since you've upgraded your PC? I bet you're a Vista hater.

damn right I am!

OP says it all. You're doucherific.

Huh? I think the OP sounds prudent, and I agree with him.

Actually, if you factor in the energy efficiency of the newer appliances VS the cost of running an inefficient appliance, it makes sense to replace many appliances when they start to break down.

I felt the same way, then read a bit in Consumer Reports and saw the math...

That's the thing though, not all appliances are significantly more efficient. As for that 1930s refridgerator.. well if you replaced the interior with better insulation and replaced the electric motor with a newer one, I don't see why it'd perform significantly worse than a newer one as that's all the newer ones really have that make them more "efficient". As for a Stove and oven or anything that makes simple heat, if it's capable of doing self clean, it's about as "efficient" as it gets unless you want to go overboard and just add more insulation yourself. At 1000F, my over was only warm to the touch on the outside and so I'm extremely doubtful a newer oven could offset itself with what ever improved efficiency (if there at all). Electric motors have certainly gotten better but refrigerators haven't really improved their insulation that much.

Anyways these days people are wasting far more electricity with their wasteful electronics that are constantly sapping energy even when they're not being used.

Shens.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by: skace
If I had a 1992 perfect working car, I wouldn't be able to use my ipod in it like I can in my fancy newer car. Sooo... that'd suck.

Weird, I could in my '92 Jeep Cherokee, as well as a USB thumb drive. But I guess putting in a $150 aftermarket head unit makes a lot less sense than dropping $15K+ for a newer car...

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
You do take something for ADD don't you? I'm serious. You either have ADD or Asberger's. And your dad has the patience of a saint, I'd have beaten you into submission by now.

People who have Asperger's generally come up with logical ideas, not ridiculous ones.

ZV

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
You do take something for ADD don't you? I'm serious. You either have ADD or Asberger's. And your dad has the patience of a saint, I'd have beaten you into submission by now.

People who have Asperger's generally come up with logical ideas, not ridiculous ones.

ZV

LOL, notice he's not denied being 14 or taking ADD drugs :laugh:

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
bullshit
sheet metal is way thinner 2 day
fuckin throwaway
everything is fuckin junk.
u ever turn the knobs on an old reciever?>i got a sansui from the 79s and it has machined knobs buttons depressed WITH RIGHTEOUS FIRMNESS
i got a jeep wrangler 92 sahara it asks NOTHIGN of me.it obeys. u wan 34 low spaceman ill hook u up.
im sure some aduiopedofiler willc him in about the sansui..whatever..show ME where u can buy that q reciever for under 1k today?m all plastic SHIT JUNK

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Originally posted by: spaceman
bullshit
fuckin throwaway
u ever turn the knobs on an old reciever?>i got a sansui from the 79s and it has machined knobs buttons depressed WITH RIGHTEOUS FIRMNESS
i got a jeep wrangler 92 sahara it asks NOTHIGN of me.it obeys. u wan 34 low spaceman ill hook u up.
im sure some aduiopedofiler willc him in about the sansui..whatever..show ME where u can buy that q reciever for under 1k today?m all plastic SHIT JUNK

RIGHTEOUS FIRMNESS

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Originally posted by: MotF Bane
bullshit
fuckin throwaway

RIGHTEOUS FIRMNESS

the reciever is a TANK..the knobs move so nice man..and the speaker cabs are made of WALnuts!
like i said..im sur eu can buy this stuff today but @ what cost..it sure is shiat aint the fuckin kenwood shit @ bestbuy..ud have to pay like i dont even know..alot.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I have to agree with the OP. I am driving a few years old vehicle and I am planning to drive it until it dies. I also have a few years old computer too.

For many people, the desire to buy new things to "brag" or to project a "sucessful" image is strong.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Captain Howdy
Weird, I could in my '92 Jeep Cherokee, as well as a USB thumb drive. But I guess putting in a $150 aftermarket head unit makes a lot less sense than dropping $15K+ for a newer car...

That's cool. I had a 1992 dodge colt..... Dropping 15K made sense for a decent looking vehicle with AWD, power everything, hybrid manual/auto, built in ipod functionality, 8 years warranty maintenance and about a million other things.

My point was that there are a lot of things that I wouldn't have gotten out of my old car regardless of how well it ran.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I agree with the OP to a point. People in America are too quick to throw out old items, and get new with little benefit. The fridge example's a little silly, but cars are a good one. People say that older cars nickle and dime you to death. It takes a hell of a lot of nickles and dimes to equal the cost of a new car. If you keep the cancer(rust) in check, you could put a whole new drive train in a vehicle, and have enough money left over for a sweet vacation instead of buying a new car.

I've found perfectly working machines in the dumpster before. I got a high end consumer(low end professional) string trimmer that only needed a string spooler. It still had gas in it, and started first thing taking it out of the dumpster. I found a gas blower the same way. Pulled it out, and it started right up. I don't have much use for a blower, so I'm still using the gas I found it with when I pull it out on occasion :^D

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: MotF Bane
bullshit
fuckin throwaway

RIGHTEOUS FIRMNESS

:thumbsup: The way all tits should be!

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Orsorum
If I had my choice I'd still be driving my 2004 Kia Optima. But, two car accidents later and one BMW 330i later, I'm driving a Mercedes CLK 430. Sometimes events are beyond your control.

You could have purchased another 2004 Kia instead of the two fancy cars. :p