Age is just a number when it comes to objects?

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007
My Dad and people I know have this obsession with buying new shit every few years because their old stuff seems to "go bad" but I feel like people seriously underestimate how important it is to take care of their belongings and to properly maintain their things. It's like he'd almost rather have a poorly maintained 2009 model yr car than a perfectly maintained 1992 model yr car in great condition. Same with the appliances, always wants to buy a new one every time the old one stops working when the real solution is to not let things get into disrepair in the first place by keeping dust from accumulating or not abusing it. Have you guys noticed this? How do you guys treat your things?

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Yes, I have an almost perfectly maintained 1992 Accord with low mileage, and I see no reason to get rid of it until it breaks down/requires expensive repairs.

I generally maintain my stuff well and try to make it last - cheaper and less wasteful in the long run.

If you think about it, the same applies to our own bodies. Eat well, exercise, stay active and minimize stress, and you can look and feel far younger than your chronological age.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
Originally posted by: AVAFREAK182
Originally posted by: fleabag
How long has it been since you've upgraded your PC? I bet you're a Vista hater.

damn right I am!

OP says it all. You're doucherific.

Huh? I think the OP sounds prudent, and I agree with him.

Actually, if you factor in the energy efficiency of the newer appliances VS the cost of running an inefficient appliance, it makes sense to replace many appliances when they start to break down.

I felt the same way, then read a bit in Consumer Reports and saw the math...

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
If I had my choice I'd still be driving my 2004 Kia Optima. But, two car accidents later and one BMW 330i later, I'm driving a Mercedes CLK 430. Sometimes events are beyond your control.

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

damn right I am!

Actually, if you factor in the energy efficiency of the newer appliances VS the cost of running an inefficient appliance, it makes sense to replace many appliances when they start to break down.

That's the thing though, not all appliances are significantly more efficient. As for that 1930s refridgerator.. well if you replaced the interior with better insulation and replaced the electric motor with a newer one, I don't see why it'd perform significantly worse than a newer one as that's all the newer ones really have that make them more "efficient". As for a Stove and oven or anything that makes simple heat, if it's capable of doing self clean, it's about as "efficient" as it gets unless you want to go overboard and just add more insulation yourself. At 1000F, my over was only warm to the touch on the outside and so I'm extremely doubtful a newer oven could offset itself with what ever improved efficiency (if there at all). Electric motors have certainly gotten better but refrigerators haven't really improved their insulation that much.

Anyways these days people are wasting far more electricity with their wasteful electronics that are constantly sapping energy even when they're not being used.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

damn right I am!

That's the thing though, not all appliances are significantly more efficient. As for that 1930s refridgerator.. well if you replaced the interior with better insulation and replaced the electric motor with a newer one, I don't see why it'd perform significantly worse than a newer one as that's all the newer ones really have that make them more "efficient". As for a Stove and oven or anything that makes simple heat, if it's capable of doing self clean, it's about as "efficient" as it gets unless you want to go overboard and just add more insulation yourself. At 1000F, my over was only warm to the touch on the outside and so I'm extremely doubtful a newer oven could offset itself with what ever improved efficiency (if there at all). Electric motors have certainly gotten better but refrigerators haven't really improved their insulation that much.

Anyways these days people are wasting far more electricity with their wasteful electronics that are constantly sapping energy even when they're not being used.

Why do I even bother?

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007

damn right I am!

Why do I even bother?

Replacing those two things would certainly require a lot less energy than buying an entirely new refrigerator.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

damn right I am!

Why do I even bother?

Replacing those two things would certainly require a lot less energy than buying an entirely new refrigerator.

By golly, you're right, time for your Adderall Fleabag.

You do take something for ADD don't you? I'm serious. You either have ADD or Asberger's. And your dad has the patience of a saint, I'd have beaten you into submission by now.

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009

damn right I am!

Why do I even bother?

You do take something for ADD don't you? I'm serious. You either have ADD or Asberger's. And your dad has the patience of a saint, I'd have beaten you into submission by now.

is now a good time to ask, what the hell is a pliable moose?

Oh and flea bag, good luck moving refrigerant with your electric motor.

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Sea Moose

damn right I am!

Why do I even bother?

is now a good time to ask, what the hell is a pliable moose?

Oh and flea bag, good luck moving refrigerant with your electric motor.

Hmm unless I'm missing something, all a compressor is in a refrigerator is an electric motor that moves a working fluid. Replace electric motor or not, you could very likely take the innards from a newer but scrapped fridge and put them into your "ancient" refrigerator.

Lean L

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2009

damn right I am!

Why do I even bother?

failed logic X 1Billion

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009
Hmm unless I'm missing something, all a compressor is in a refrigerator is an electric motor that moves a working fluid. Replace electric motor or not, you could very likely take the innards from a newer but scrapped fridge and put them into your "ancient" refrigerator.

Compressors in fridges are a sealed motor. I suppose the only time you would put new gear in an old fridge was if you were restoring a 1950s style fridge. The cost to refit a fridge for the sake of refitting it would be stupid.

fleabag

Banned
Oct 1, 2007

Compressors in fridges are a sealed motor. I suppose the only time you would put new gear in an old fridge was if you were restoring a 1950s style fridge. The cost to refit a fridge for the sake of refitting it would be stupid.

If you had some skills, taking the internals from a fridge that was dumped and putting it into your existing fridge shouldn't be too daunting of a task, but I wouldn't know as I've yet to try it.

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009

If you had some skills, taking the internals from a fridge that was dumped and putting it into your existing fridge shouldn't be too daunting of a task, but I wouldn't know as I've yet to try it.

good luck running the mullion heater.

Serriously dude, read what i said. If your restoring a retro fridge than you would go through the agony. But you wouldnt to it to yourself.

No warranty, etc etc

I am a refrigeration mechanic so, i kinda know.

also, people dont tend to dump fridges that work.... so fail logic is fail.

Sure if your talking about static items like a couch or a saucepan, but when it comes to complex machines, age is not just a number

After reading your OP, i understand what you mean, it is better to buy your stuff new and look after it, then just replace for the sake of replacing

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
If I had a 1992 perfect working car, I wouldn't be able to use my ipod in it like I can in my fancy newer car. Sooo... that'd suck.