AFP: KURDISH forces captured SADDAM FIRST!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: Czar
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
oh by the way, the yahoo story was filed by a reporter for the Agence France-Presse....
i'm sure they are a fair and balanced news-source..........

they actualy are, they are kinda like Reuters and AP

No, reuters is british and AP is American. Agence France-Presse is French. They (the french) have an agenda. I wouldn't believe it until the former two says it is.

Yeah, there's no way Americans have an agenda.

rolleye.gif

KenGr

Aug 22, 2002
My first reaction is to doubt this story.

If this is true, it marks a very unexpected change in the Kurd's attitudes (given that he's still alive and able to walk).

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Reuters carried the story first with reports from the Kurds that he was captured. Saddams daughter feels 100% that he was drugged as well.

This is interesting imo and worth keeping an eye on.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
If the Kurds had caught him I seriously doubt the Americans would have ever heard about it. The only interesting question would be how long would they keep him alive, I have a feeling elements of the Kurdish population would want him to live a long and very painful life.

I think it's safe to dismiss any part of a story that says the Kurds caught him then left him alone.

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: rahvin
If the Kurds had caught him I seriously doubt the Americans would have ever heard about it. The only interesting question would be how long would they keep him alive, I have a feeling elements of the Kurdish population would want him to live a long and very painful life.

I think it's safe to dismiss any part of a story that says the Kurds caught him then left him alone.

I'm not so sure. If I was the Kurd that had caught Saddam, I'd be on the phone with Paul Bremer asking how much he was worth to him. As much as the Kurds hate him, I'm sure they'd still have their best interests in mind to take precedent over simple revenge. Not that I'm saying I buy this story, but the real question to ask is, would we have a cut a deal to get Saddam alive?

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
A former Iraqi intelligence officer, whom the Express did not name, told the paper that Saddam was held prisoner by a leader of the Kurdish Patriotic Front

Umm yea there is a reliable source. former iraqi intelligence officer translates to(official torturer for Saddams regime). If you guys want to hang your hats on this guys word then be my guest.
rolleye.gif

DoubleL

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2001
The sad part is that Americans can trust neither government nor the press to tell the truth. The most damning aspect is that many Americans are blissfully ignorant . . .

Only the ones that post on AnandTechs Politics and OT, They should just drop both and call it the big cereal bowl and let the fruits flakes and nuts feel at home, Not all, I know a lot of americans come here just for a laugh or two like me

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
oh by the way, the yahoo story was filed by a reporter for the Agence France-Presse....
i'm sure they are a fair and balanced news-source..........

I don't know if there's a thread on p&N that you post in without eventually bashing the french.

Btw, speaking of the french, how many heart valves have you replaced lately without surgery?

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
I don't know if there's a thread on p&N that you post in without eventually bashing the french.Btw, speaking of the french, how many heart valves have you replaced lately without surgery?

another liberal who can't get the facts right:

i didn't bash the french, i questioned the veracity of a story from a wire-service (by the way, any confirmation from another news source yet on such a major story?)
replace a heart valve without surgery? what does that mean?

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I don't know if there's a thread on p&N that you post in without eventually bashing the french.Btw, speaking of the french, how many heart valves have you replaced lately without surgery?

another liberal who can't get the facts right:

i didn't bash the french, i questioned the veracity of a story from a wire-service (by the way, any confirmation from another news source yet on such a major story?)
replace a heart valve without surgery? what does that mean?

haha just a dig from an advancement the evil french made last year.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
and you believe that report as well?

hahahaha

people have been working on percutaneous valve replacement for years...
i don't have any problem with a frenchman trying it on another frenchman (probably an algerian!)
old saying i medicine..don't be the first person to try something new, don't be the last either.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
From a source attributed in Moonie's link:

Saddam Hussein was captured by US troops only after he had been taken prisoner by Kurdish forces, drugged and abandoned ready for American soldiers to recover him, a British tabloid newspaper has reported.

I always had you pegged as the type who believes the "dwarf gives birth to werewolf" reports in the tabloids Moonie. Just goes to show that some people will believe anything to fit their narrowminded bigotry. Nice!

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Another line from Moonie's post . . .

Little attention was paid to a line in Pentagon briefings that some of the Kurdish militia might have been in on what was described as a "joint operation"; or to a statement by Ahmed Chalabi, head of the Iraq National Congress, which said that Qusrat and his PUK forces had provided vital information and more.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Corn

Saddam Hussein was captured by US troops only after he had been taken prisoner by Kurdish forces, drugged and abandoned ready for American soldiers to recover him, a British tabloid newspaper has reported.
I always had you pegged as the type who believes the "dwarf gives birth to werewolf" reports in the tabloids Moonie. Just goes to show that some people will believe anything to fit their narrowminded bigotry. Nice!
Noting that he offers nothing to refute the claim, just an empty personal attack.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Corn

Hehe, Corn, I know way better than to really think you ever thought that. And the bigotry is all urine. I said 'looks like', not 'is'.

I just don't want this story swept under the rug cause it's so fascinating. :D Lets just wait and see and perhaps you'll have to do a role reversal and eat crow. :D

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Noting that he offers nothing to refute the claim.........

You must have missed the part about "British tabloid" then.............. And it's wasn't even the Sun, at least they've got something interesting to look at on page 3.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Shades of Jessica Lynch.

Wait till they find out it's SH's body double.

:)

You can tell we have an election year coming up. The truth is rarer than Paris Hilton going to church. :)

-Robert

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Oh my, not they're saying Saddam spit and the American thumped him with a rifle butt. Goodness, he didn't want to negotiate?

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Nothing has been asked at the daily press conferences at the White House about this.