Afghanistan Story of the week

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
AlienCraft, asshat extraordinaire. :disgust:

freegeeks, I often wonder how you put up with all the sh!t people around here throw at you.

Yes, as if he doesn't deserve any of it. A simple search will show that he usually throws insults at people first.

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: TheBoyBlunder
Fun story, but I'd be surprised if a B-1 was flying close air support instead of an A-10.

Do the AF and Army talk close enough to even do something like this, at least this quickly?

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Bootprint
Fun story, but I'd be surprised if a B-1 was flying close air support instead of an A-10.

Do the AF and Army talk close enough to even do something like this, at least this quickly?

Wow, where have you been? you just come from 1980 or something?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

Yes, they most definitly do. The air force puts a guy on the ground in an Army squad. Hes the forward air controller and calls in strikes like the Army would call in Artillery. Its really a beautiful thing.

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: TallBill

Yes, they most definitly do. The air force puts a guy on the ground in an Army squad. Hes the forward air controller and calls in strikes like the Army would call in Artillery. Its really a beautiful thing.

Okay, it just doesn't sound preplanned, more like the b1b was heading out. 20,000 feet isn't really close air support.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: freegeeks
I seriously doubt that they have B1's flying close air support for ground troops

that a job for an a-10, F-16 etc...

Where are you from... Belgium? kthxbye

TitanDiddly

Dec 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Hammer
Originally posted by: maddogchen
I seriously doubt that they have B1's flying close air support for ground troops

a B-1 has more gas and can loiter around an area longer.

that why you have tankers and mid air refueling

the B1 is a strategic bomber. It doesn't operate from forward air bases. It only operates from US air bases. So you are telling me that they are going to fly a (very expensive) B1 10.000 miles to give close air support to troops while they have different air bases close by with aircraft far more suited for the job. The B1 is a first strike capable bomber and is designed to go in fast and low to crap the hell of heavily defended strategic important targets. IMO they are not going to use it to wander around and if necessary drop a bomb on a Taliban and his mule

just my 0,2 eurocent

nice story but I call shenigans

listen carefully.

wait for it...

STFU!

In operation Enduring Freedom, B-1Bs accounted for 5% of the strike sorties into Afghanistan yet dropped 40% of the total weapons. These aircraft dropped more than 70% of the precision-guided JDAM weapons. The combination of the B-1B and JDAM weapons was so reliable that they were called on to perform close air support for troops on the ground.

Boeing site

0wn3d.

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
freegeeks said:
the B1 is a strategic bomber. It doesn't operate from forward air bases. It only operates from US air bases. So you are telling me that they are going to fly a (very expensive) B1 10.000 miles to give close air support to troops while they have different air bases close by with aircraft far more suited for the job. The B1 is a first strike capable bomber and is designed to go in fast and low to crap the hell of heavily defended strategic important targets. IMO they are not going to use it to wander around and if necessary drop a bomb on a Taliban and his mule

Boeing says:
In operation Enduring Freedom, B-1Bs accounted for 5% of the strike sorties into Afghanistan yet dropped 40% of the total weapons. These aircraft dropped more than 70% of the precision-guided JDAM weapons. The combination of the B-1B and JDAM weapons was so reliable that they were called on to perform close air support for troops on the ground.

Conclusion:
You have no idea what you're taking about, and are talking out of your ass.

Simple enough for you?

He is most definitely not talking out of his ass. The B1 is undeniably a strategic bomber it was not designed for close air support. Although operations in Afghanistan allowed us to employ the B1s in that role (because of JDAMS and more importantly because there lacked an enemy source of air power and air defenses) it is not its conventional role. Lately, close air support is provided by manueverable aircraft that can serve in a fighter/strike capacity (f-18 is a perfect example). However, it was not designed for the sole purpose of close air support. On the other hand, the A-10 is an aircraft built specifically for the role of close air support against enemy troops and tanks.

The Boeing statistic isn't all that convincing either. The amount of sorties flown for close air support likely far surpases those flown for strike warfare (strategic bombing). So, it makes sense that the B1 flew less missions yet dropped larger payloads because the mission called for strategic strikes on fixed targets. Although they no doubt loitered and provided an amazing source of firepower for troops on the ground, this is a new role that was specific to Operation Enduring Freedom. I'd be curious to find out if the B1 was used with as much frequency in Iraq.

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
Whether it is plausible, possible, could have happened or is in fact BS there is one point that stands:

The writing is crap. It's written from the perspective of an immature person with more of an interest in pseudo heroic bravado than any real intention to convey authenticity. It is commonplace. Many a soldier writes home to family and buds with a story to intrigue the uninitiate. We all want to see cool stuff and do great things (and some do) but the writing style of this piece carries with it the realism of a, forum post (was going to say "dime store novel" but that's not fair to the medium). Now, I'm not just basing everything on whether the soldier can put two words together in a compelling way; there are points that beg attention here.

1. "pitch black, crystal clear night". Hmmm, you'd think a trained killer could at least describe the environment in concise, relevant terms.

2. A B-1 Pilot offers to perform a "show of force" even though he asserts there is no one in the area. BTW, the Pilot's authority to perform the maneuver comes from centcom so there would likely need to be a really compelling reason for them to provide approval. "A few shots fired, but no big deal" isn't likely to cut that sandwich.

3. I don't know what anyone else's version of "God just hit you in the head with a hammer" is but breaking the sound barrier at 1000' above your head isn't going to amount to squat. Sure, you're going to hear it - but you're not going to need earplugs much less feel as though any kind of show of force has taken place. Been there done that: Stationed aboard the USS Missouri BB-63 I've seen a few sound barrier flyby's first hand. Impressive to say the least, "Hammer of God" type of impressive... ahhh no. And we're talking less than 200 yards out, so this B-1 pilot would have to have been right over their heads for them to feel it as described. I would hope to think though, a trained killer could tell the difference between 'just over your head' and one thousand feet (1000').

4. B-1, flying supersonic "stands it straight up" and blah blah blah... I'll let the physics and Jane's aficianado's address that one.

5. Soldier's referring to themselves as trained killers... I have quite a few friends and family in theater, two of which are Airborne. They just plain don't talk like that or refer to themselves that way much less write home of their grandiose exploits in such a fashion. Perhaps my family/friends are just a different sort of person. It strikes me as being odd is all.

6. Supposedly the pilot asks two questions which are replied to with "Stupid question. Of course we tell him yes." and "Very stupid question". There are just too many issues with that. One, let's say the questions were asked. My money is on the likelyhood that the Pilot is just a wee bit more intellectually capable than the ground troops (not a slam, just an IQ probability being that all we know of these particular soldiers is that they're "trained killers) and likely have a very good reason for asking questions to specify a manner or type of maneuver. To refer to the pilot as having asked a very stupid question in light of a very obvious answer - well, I'd say that particular trooper really isn't trained well at anything, much less killing.

I've spent hundreds of hours in the Combat Information Center (CIC) of the battleships and destroyer I've served on (Gulf War I inclusive) and communication is clear and concise for a reason. Strategic calls, no matter how plain Jane and "Obvious" to all involved are double checked and verified before executing. There is nothing "Priceless" about assuming the intentions of a joint military maneuver.

I'm not saying a "show of force" didn't happen or doesn't happen or that it isn't worth or exciting to write home about. I'm saying that it didn't happen the way the post portrays, if in this story it happened at all.

BTW, for the google inclined there is plenty of test footage of military planes performing sound barrier runs - much of it within 100' of audio/video recording; so one can judge for themselves, even if poor quality whether a "Hammer of God" effect would be experienced anywhere near 1000'. I've been there done that - so I call BS.

Cheers

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Not believe in the least to me, but cool nonetheless. Things like this really make me want to join up.

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Sketcher
Whether it is plausible, possible, could have happened or is in fact BS there is one point that stands:

The writing is crap. It's written from the perspective of an immature person with more of an interest in pseudo heroic bravado than any real intention to convey authenticity. It is commonplace. Many a soldier writes home to family and buds with a story to intrigue the uninitiate. We all want to see cool stuff and do great things (and some do) but the writing style of this piece carries with it the realism of a, forum post (was going to say "dime store novel" but that's not fair to the medium). Now, I'm not just basing everything on whether the soldier can put two words together in a compelling way; there are points that beg attention here.

1. "pitch black, crystal clear night". Hmmm, you'd think a trained killer could at least describe the environment in concise, relevant terms.

2. A B-1 Pilot offers to perform a "show of force" even though he asserts there is no one in the area. BTW, the Pilot's authority to perform the maneuver comes from centcom so there would likely need to be a really compelling reason for them to provide approval. "A few shots fired, but no big deal" isn't likely to cut that sandwich.

3. I don't know what anyone else's version of "God just hit you in the head with a hammer" is but breaking the sound barrier at 1000' above your head isn't going to amount to squat. Sure, you're going to hear it - but you're not going to need earplugs much less feel as though any kind of show of force has taken place. Been there done that: Stationed aboard the USS Missouri BB-63 I've seen a few sound barrier flyby's first hand. Impressive to say the least, "Hammer of God" type of impressive... ahhh no. And we're talking less than 200 yards out, so this B-1 pilot would have to have been right over their heads for them to feel it as described. I would hope to think though, a trained killer could tell the difference between 'just over your head' and one thousand feet (1000').

4. B-1, flying supersonic "stands it straight up" and blah blah blah... I'll let the physics and Jane's aficianado's address that one.

5. Soldier's referring to themselves as trained killers... I have quite a few friends and family in theater, two of which are Airborne. They just plain don't talk like that or refer to themselves that way much less write home of their grandiose exploits in such a fashion. Perhaps my family/friends are just a different sort of person. It strikes me as being odd is all.

6. Supposedly the pilot asks two questions which are referred to as "Stupid question. Of course we tell him yes." and "Very stupid question". There are just too many issues with that. One, let's say the questions were asked. My money is on the likelyhood that the Pilot is just a wee bit more intellectually capable than the ground troops (not a slam, just an IQ probability being that all we know of these particular soldiers is that their "trained killers) and likely have a very good reason for asking questions to specify a manner or type of maneuver. To refer to the pilot as having asked a very stupid question in light of a very obvious answer - well, I'd say that particular trooper really isn't trained well at anything, much less killing.

I've spent hundreds of hours in the Combat Information Center (CIC) of the battleships and destroyer I've served on (Gulf War I inclusive) and communication is clear and concise for a reason. Strategic calls, no matter how plain Jane and "Obvious" to all involved are double checked and verified before executing. There is nothing "Priceless" about assuming the intentions of a joint military maneuver.

I'm not saying a "show of force" didn't happen. I'm saying that it didn't happen the way the post portrays, if it happened at all.

BTW, for the google inclined there is plenty of test footage of military planes performing sound barrier runs - much of it within 100' of audio/video recording; so one can judge for themselves, even if poor quality whether a "Hammer of God" effect would be experienced anywhere near 1000'. I've been there done that - so I call BS.

Cheers

To further this call, I have a friend who was actually IN Afghanistan and guess what, worked at Baghram AFB. He called BS as soon as I showed this "story" to him. He worked directly with the pilots and men and women on the ground all the time, coordinating their arrival and departure on all manner of aircraft at the base. He said that it is VERY highly unlikely that a B-1B would fly this mission at all, that it most likely would have been an A-10 flying cover for these guys. In fact, here he is, signing a 500lb. bomb on an A-10 prior to it's departure to fly air support of a ground operation.

A-10

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

6. Supposedly the pilot asks two questions which are replied to with "Stupid question. Of course we tell him yes." and "Very stupid question". There are just too many issues with that. One, let's say the questions were asked. My money is on the likelyhood that the Pilot is just a wee bit more intellectually capable than the ground troops (not a slam, just an IQ probability being that all we know of these particular soldiers is that their "trained killers) and likely have a very good reason for asking questions to specify a manner or type of maneuver. To refer to the pilot as having asked a very stupid question in light of a very obvious answer - well, I'd say that particular trooper really isn't trained well at anything, much less killing.

I'm not saying a "show of force" didn't happen or doesn't happen or that it isn't worth or exciting to write home about. I'm saying that it didn't happen the way the post portrays, if in this story it happened at all.

Cheers

well damn someone must've got owned by that...

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

Ummm from what I remember when i was in the USAF. Yes they do. The B-1 is a multi-platform aircraft that is suited for many different missions. CAS in Afghanistan is perfect for the B-1 for dropping many 500 laser guided 500 pounders into a cave.

Since there is no real threat against our aircraft in afghanistan i would suspect this story is plausable.

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
For those of you who don't know what a ring side seat to a sound barrier fly by looks or sounds like:

-------> Right-Click/Save Less than 75' from flyby.

Now, in that one clip - you certainly hear a significant "Bang", but you're talking less than 100', prolly between 50 and 75'. Your ears might ring a little after that, but no "God-Like" hammers here. Do some googling if ya want more. There's everything from Military tests, to Sea trials, to Airshow exhibitions showing the breaking of the sound barrier.

Segue from the argument of coulda shoulda woulda use a B-1 for this or that, in Afghanistan or Disneyland - so what, it could have been used and might very well have been used. Does the availability of less expensive, less expensive to fly, easier to equip for the purpose planes have any bearing on whether some commander wants to take a joy ride in a B-1 for a "show of force"!? Yes, I'm being sarcastic; but the argument is whether the OP is relevant, not whether Janes, war reports or in-service proves the usefulness of the B-1.

Sheeesh, now I'm sidetracked. S'pose I should get to bed before I go on another bent.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: halik

6. Supposedly the pilot asks two questions which are replied to with "Stupid question. Of course we tell him yes." and "Very stupid question". There are just too many issues with that. One, let's say the questions were asked. My money is on the likelyhood that the Pilot is just a wee bit more intellectually capable than the ground troops (not a slam, just an IQ probability being that all we know of these particular soldiers is that their "trained killers) and likely have a very good reason for asking questions to specify a manner or type of maneuver. To refer to the pilot as having asked a very stupid question in light of a very obvious answer - well, I'd say that particular trooper really isn't trained well at anything, much less killing.

Cheers

well damn someone must've got owned by that...

I'm not sure WHO to say owned to anymore :(

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose

freegeeks, I often wonder how you put up with all the sh!t people around here throw at you.

Yes, as if he doesn't deserve any of it. A simple search will show that he usually throws insults at people first.

great, my cyberstalker is back

Aug 14, 2001

great, my cyberstalker is back

Great, the troll is back.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
I reread my first couple of posts and I did not attack anyone or started about politics or whatever
if you hate Eurotrash because an Italian macho ran away with your gf, I can't help it, it also happened to me :p

the fact that the B1 also is suited for close air support doesn't mean that the story is true isn't it.
I have no problems at all admitting that the link that Hammer gave is new info to me and that the B1 was also used in that role in Afghanistan.
That being said, I still don't believe the story. If you have links or other sources to backup the story POST them. Is that clear now for all the idiots attacking me.

so spare me the morally superior European armchair general bs. You can impress your 12 year old cousin with your e-thug behavior (or maybe you are only 12 years old, that is also possible) but it doesn't work on me.

capice??

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: MacBaine

Where are you from....West Lafayette, Indiana? kthxbye

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

I bet there's a B1 closer to him than there is to you.... The point being, you must not know anything about B1s if your country doesn't have them. Now, if a waffle thread gets started, you're the boss.

Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor

I bet there's a B1 closer to him than there is to you.... The point being, you must not know anything about B1s if your country doesn't have them. Now, if a waffle thread gets started, you're the boss.

Now freegeeks is kind of annoying and sometimes provides me with much amusement, but your statement makes no sense. I certainly live closer to B1s than certain Europeans, but I know almost nothing about them.

You can read up a lot about B1s, even if your country doesn't have them. It's not as if most people here have actually been involved in the design or strategic use of them.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Nebor

Now freegeeks is kind of annoying and sometimes provides me with much amusement, but your statement makes no sense. I certainly live closer to B1s than certain Europeans, but I know almost nothing about them.

You can read up a lot about B1s, even if your country doesn't have them. It's not as if most people here have actually been involved in the design or strategic use of them.

On the contrary, I believe most americans have done some kind of maintenance, construction, design or cleaning on a b1. I like bolting on the outer skin!

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: abracadabra1
freegeeks said:

Boeing says:

Conclusion:
You have no idea what you're taking about, and are talking out of your ass.

Simple enough for you?

He is most definitely not talking out of his ass. The B1 is undeniably a strategic bomber it was not designed for close air support. Although operations in Afghanistan allowed us to employ the B1s in that role (because of JDAMS and more importantly because there lacked an enemy source of air power and air defenses) it is not its conventional role. Lately, close air support is provided by manueverable aircraft that can serve in a fighter/strike capacity (f-18 is a perfect example). However, it was not designed for the sole purpose of close air support. On the other hand, the A-10 is an aircraft built specifically for the role of close air support against enemy troops and tanks.

The Boeing statistic isn't all that convincing either. The amount of sorties flown for close air support likely far surpases those flown for strike warfare (strategic bombing). So, it makes sense that the B1 flew less missions yet dropped larger payloads because the mission called for strategic strikes on fixed targets. Although they no doubt loitered and provided an amazing source of firepower for troops on the ground, this is a new role that was specific to Operation Enduring Freedom. I'd be curious to find out if the B1 was used with as much frequency in Iraq.

did you look at the boeing link?

here it is again.

the b1 WAS "a strategic bomber it was not designed for close air support".

As the cold war began to thaw, the B-1B was transitioned out of its nuclear mission. The last B-1B stood its last nuclear alert in 1997. In June 1994 the B-1B began an Operational Readiness assessment that marked the beginning of the Conventional Munitions Upgrade program.

there's more on that boeing page. i suggest you read the whole thing before you reply.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001

I'm also in the US Army.... pretty sure you aren't. kthxbyekillyourself