Affirmative Action Sends Blacks To Schools Too Advanced For Them

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
So what is your point here? You bring up anecdotes trying to prove what narrative? Just come out and say it and be done with it so we can ignore you.

Did you bother to read the last sentence of my last post? :\

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
So you think blacks can't control themselves because of a few stories you can dig up?

Read the last sentence of that post. Is it true or not? Don't put YOUR words in my mouth. Nice try.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
No, the assumption is that colleges, in their desire to create diversity and better representation of all groups in the student body, will end up admitting people that are less qualified and will struggle as a result. That's good for neither the under qualified students who might be better off at another school, nor the other students at the institution.

It's a very difficult situation, because I think there's tremendous value in having a very diverse student body. I just don't think using racial discrimination (or preferential treatment based on race) is an acceptable way to accomplish that goal.

So the white plaintiff is suing to stop AA for the benefit of black students?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Just last week, friends in Dallas sent me this link about the incident in Mesquite (just outside of Dallas). Numerous mob fights second year in a row at the annual family Christmas light festival. It happened last year, it happened again this year, who says it will not happen again next year? Multiple fights at a family religious gathering for all? Seriously?

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/12/07/...at-the-park-brings-criticism-to-city-leaders/

Self-inflicted problems and not from racism/evil whiteys/other excuses. What's that old saying? Something about if you want others to respect you, you must respect yourself and behave properly first.

What is the underlying cause?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Looking it up it fairly consistently places in the top 50 US schools with 41-52 being the range across 4 ranking sites.

Thats pretty good

I guess I am just used to the top 10 as being advanced. Top 50 is only advanced for a provincial university.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
so you hate texans thinking they are dumb and you have an issue with catholics. you seem like a pretty hate filled person, especially for a flaming liberal.

By that logic, you have an issue with black people, and are a hate filled racist.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Read the last sentence of that post. Is it true or not? Don't put YOUR words in my mouth. Nice try.

Yes, you said they don't "behave properly" and they have "self-inflicted" wounds. Blacks have had enormous struggles in American history and nearly all were certainly not "self-inflicted."

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
What affirmative action is that? Are you saying unqualified Catholics become supreme court justices because someone has decided more Catholics are needed on the court? Do you even understand what affirmative action is?

You don't think there are justices far more qualified than Clarence Thomas or Antonin Scalia? But they don't pass the pro life litmus test that Republicans apply to those positions.
Affirmative action seeks to create a certain composition of a body by means of preferences given to some groups of candidates. Republicans give a religious preference to Catholics when picking Supreme Court justices. You are going to tell me it's purely merit based?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
You don't think there are justices far more qualified than Clarence Thomas or Antonin Scalia? But they don't pass the pro life litmus test that Republicans apply to those positions.
Affirmative action seeks to create a certain composition of a body by means of preferences given to some groups of candidates. Republicans give a religious preference to Catholics when picking Supreme Court justices. You are going to tell me it's purely merit based?
And Bush picked who?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
You don't think there are justices far more qualified than Clarence Thomas or Antonin Scalia?

There was but you Borked him. Your side has no standing whatsoever to complain about qualifications after that.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
a persons color should NEVER be a reason to accept (or deny) a person a job or education. Anytime you say you need more of one color then it's racism. It's also a disservice to those that earn the spot with hard work.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
a persons color should NEVER be a reason to accept (or deny) a person a job or education. Anytime you say you need more of one color then it's racism. It's also a disservice to those that earn the spot with hard work.
dafuq who want's to do that? ......participant trophy.:|

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
Wow really?

Let's think about what this supposedly right-wing ultra-conservative Supreme Court has ruled on recently.

6-3 they supported Obamacare

6-4 they supported gay marriage

They upheld an Obama legal notion that proof of bias in housing discrimination lawsuits was not necessary, requiring only that harm to minorities was caused.

And the title of this thread is extremely misleading. Scalia was asking about the validity of a brief concerning the case, it doesn't mean he believes it.

I guess the Supreme Court can't ask questions anymore now?

Once again, Political Correctness run amok. Fortunately, the Supreme Court is a life job so they don't give a flip what the press or politicians say.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
The problem with affirmative action is you have monolithic categories (Asian > White > Hispanic > Black) and yet all of these groups have extreme diversity. For example within the government definition of whites it includes both Askenazim Jews (with a mean group IQ of 115) as well as Egyptians (with a mean group IQ of the mid 90s). So you have certain groups that are "unfairly" both over and under-represented under affirmative action due to monolithic racial categories that actually go against the intended purpose of affirmative action, as some lower performing groups are arbitrarily placed on a higher group category.

Last edited:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
In other words Affirmative Action selects people based on the color of their skin and not their qualifications.
That's not what Scalia said by any stretch of the imagination. What he clearly said is that people of a certain color are less likely to be qualified (and thus less deserving of public investment even if potentially qualified).

I'm opposed to affirmative action, but that's bullshit. It's not just the racism that makes statements like these politically incorrect, it's also the fact that they're lies.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Wow really?

Let's think about what this supposedly right-wing ultra-conservative Supreme Court has ruled on recently.

6-3 they supported Obamacare

6-4 they supported gay marriage

They upheld an Obama legal notion that proof of bias in housing discrimination lawsuits was not necessary, requiring only that harm to minorities was caused.

And the title of this thread is extremely misleading. Scalia was asking about the validity of a brief concerning the case, it doesn't mean he believes it.

I guess the Supreme Court can't ask questions anymore now?

Once again, Political Correctness run amok. Fortunately, the Supreme Court is a life job so they don't give a flip what the press or politicians say.
Yeah well, the Constitution is a liberal document, and being required to explain their decisions within its framework does tend to temper any extremism among the individual justices.

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Yes, you said they don't "behave properly" and they have "self-inflicted" wounds. Blacks have had enormous struggles in American history and nearly all were certainly not "self-inflicted."

I said what? Again, you are PUTTING YOUR own words into MY mouth.

This is what I said.
What's that old saying? Something about if you want others to respect you, you must respect yourself and behave properly first.

You want to try again? Try to quote my exact words instead make your words become mine.

What is the underlying cause?

Cause? You have to ask the participants to be sure. I know that when I was in middle school, I and my parents/family members did not go school to fight with others or fight at family theme events two years in a row. That's just wrong, regardless of race, creed, background, etc.

Last edited:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The problem with affirmative action is you have monolithic categories (Asian > White > Hispanic > Black) and yet all of these groups have extreme diversity. For example within the government definition of whites it includes both Askenazim Jews (with a mean group IQ of 115) as well as Egyptians (with a mean group IQ of the mid 90s). So you have certain groups that are "unfairly" both over and under-represented under affirmative action due to monolithic racial categories that actually go against the intended purpose of affirmative action, as some lower performing groups are arbitrarily placed on a higher group category.
Non-white groups are even more diverse. That's one reason why racism is so stupid. People will make inane comments like "blacks are more likely to commit crimes," or "blacks are less likely to be qualified" seemingly without realizing that they're saying that about the most genetically diverse group of humans on the planet.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
That's not what Scalia said by any stretch of the imagination. What he clearly said is that people of a certain color are less likely to be qualified (and thus less deserving of public investment even if potentially qualified).

That's an outright lie, else you're ignorant.

Here's what Scalia *postulated* based on an amicus brief - which is a "friend of the court" providing information - that brief was provided by the US Government :

“There are those who contend that it does not benefit African-Americans to get them into the University of Texas, where they do not do well — as opposed to having them go to a less advanced school, a slower-track school where they do well,” Scalia said from the bench. “One of the briefs pointed out that most of the black scientists in this country don’t come from schools like the University of Texas. They come from lesser schools where they do not feel that they’re being pushed ahead in classes that are too fast for them.”

Scalia appeared to be referencing an amicus brief filed by Gail Heriot of the United States Commission on Civil Rights. In her brief, Heriot points to a study that shows minority students are less likely to major in science or engineering if their test scores and grade point averages put them in the bottom half of the admitting class at their institution. Heriot says that if UT actually wanted to help minorities, it would find black students who were admitted to MIT and convince them that their chances of succeeding at UT, which is less selective, are higher. The brief also points out that one-third of blacks who received a doctorate in science or engineering in 2006 got their degrees from historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs). These colleges, on average, have lower admissions standards than UT.

The amicus was filed by the USCCR which is a Government agency formed by the Civil Rights Act of 1957.

From their website :

Mission
The Civil Rights Act of 1957 created the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights. Since then, Congress has reauthorized or extended the legislation creating the Commission several times; the last reauthorization was in 1994 by the Civil Rights Commission Amendments Act of 1994.
Established as an independent, bipartisan, fact-finding federal agency, our mission is to inform the development of national civil rights policy and enhance enforcement of federal civil rights laws. We pursue this mission by studying alleged deprivations of voting rights and alleged discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, or national origin, or in the administration of justice. We play a vital role in advancing civil rights through objective and comprehensive investigation, research, and analysis on issues of fundamental concern to the federal government and the public.