affirmative action and hispanics

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Kilim
As a mexican-american, seeing a bunch of asians at a university makes me happy, showing as it does that hard work is still rewarded.

Ditto, I'll be damned if I'm given a hand-out do to my race or background. I paid full price for my degree and got my job on my own merit, and never bitched once for being hispanic.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
People always hating on the Latin Americans these days. They're the new black man.

Yeah it sucks, but we have no one to blame but ourselves.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
People always hating on the Latin Americans these days. They're the new black man.

It's true. :D

I'm not latino, but I'm of Spanish descent so I have a Spanish last name. People probably assume I'm latino if they haven't met me. I'm as white as they come!

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: classy
Originally posted by: KK
can whitey get in on some of this AA action too?

whiteys do get in on some that action. I know a young white woman who got a 4 year free ride to college because she had a possible 1/32 of Indian blood. Yea right.

How does that work? There's a good chance I'm 1/16 Nativa American..I thought I had read that you have to be a part of a tribe in order to get scholarships.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: homercles337
Originally posted by: goku
I believe there shouldn't be affirmative action where a minority group in the scope of the county is a majority. For example, if you go to berkely campus, you'll see that asians are the majority yet affirmative action still applies and that is unfair.

Um, yes asians are the majority at Berkeley (noet teh speeling). But they have not practised AA for years now. It was smacked down the year before i went to grad school there (1997).

BTW, all this white mans burden, reverse discrimination stuff is absolute and utter crap. When i was in grad school berkeley high was considered one of the most integrated schools in the nation. Yet, graduation rates were ~95% for whites and asians and ~10% for blacks and hispanics. This is a socioeconomic issue. Like it or not this country was founded by the rich white male for the rich white male. One only needs to look at the current "leader" of this nation to see this. Also, pelosi is the FIRST female speaker of the house. Up to now they have ALL been rich white males. If youre a rich white male and cant make a go of this edumakation thing youre a looser and always will be.

Stop whining with your liberal Berkeley leftist politics.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
I think in this politically correct day and age, people are afraid to admit that there really are differences among races. It's not a matter of just trying hard, it's a matter of capability.

There will always be exceptions to any rule, but the majority of cases is what really matters.

SAT scores, for instance, correlate very closely with IQ. You can argue that if you want, but the numbers don't lie. The races which have higher average IQs have higher average test scores.

I'm sure people will want to bash me for pointing out the obvious, but just look at the numbers, and don't kill the messenger.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Auryg

whiteys do get in on some that action. I know a young white woman who got a 4 year free ride to college because she had a possible 1/32 of Indian blood. Yea right.

How does that work? There's a good chance I'm 1/16 Nativa American..I thought I had read that you have to be a part of a tribe in order to get scholarships.

Hes pulling sh!t out of his ass. Most places require proof that one is 1/8-1/4 (the federal standard is 1/4, some states only require 1/8) native american, and it can pay up to full tution but doesnt give a "full ride". Fedearl Aid and most state aid requires you to be a registered member of a particular tribe. It also require financial need. Independent scholarships are quite similar to the federal and state standards, ie: having to belong to a tribe, financial need, 1/4-1/8 native american etc.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Pandamonium
I'm not for affirmative action. Not now, at least. I'm of the opinion that AA programs have been in effect for long enough.

My understanding was that AA was to give minority groups that were systematically disadvantaged by the government a level playing ground. So because slavery, blacks deserve AA, while native americans are given AA because of the colonial times.

I don't agree with how japanese-americans (or asians in general) don't get a break for internment camps or cheap labor during the railroad construction. I understand that this demographic seems successful enough to not "need" AA, but I view need and deserving as two distinct categories.

What I don't understand AT ALL though, is why hispanics get AA. When did the government deprive hispanics of essential liberties or effectively import hispanics for cheap labor? Either I'm having a huge senior moment and am blanking on a major portion of US History, or something is seriously wrong with today's AA.

dude you are all over the map. you can not compare black slavery to asians working on the railroads then to internment camps in WWII. also where does AA rules say that because your Native American you can apply because we stole your land in the during the 17 & 1800's? Isnt AA for all minorities?

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: Auryg

Hes pulling sh!t out of his ass. Most places require proof that one is 1/8-1/4 (the federal standard is 1/4, some states only require 1/8) native american, and it can pay up to full tution but doesnt give a "full ride". Fedearl Aid and most state aid requires you to be a registered member of a particular tribe. It also require financial need. Independent scholarships are quite similar to the federal and state standards, ie: having to belong to a tribe, financial need, 1/4-1/8 native american etc.

Thank you.

And darn :) You always dislike something until it could work for you.

Montano

Lifer
Jan 26, 2002
'U'r in America now....... speak Spanish!!'

Here in Cali, the Hispanics do all the jobs that 'the man' is too good to do. The Mexican laborers are needed so badly for farm labor, that 'the man' turns a blind eye on illegals. That is, until all the crops are gone to market. Then they round 'em up and send them packing.

Pandamonium

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
dude you are all over the map. you can not compare black slavery to asians working on the railroads then to internment camps in WWII. also where does AA rules say that because your Native American you can apply because we stole your land in the during the 17 & 1800's? Isnt AA for all minorities?

Do you honestly think that native americans don't get special treatment? If you're a native american seeking admission to any university, you've practically got it made. The native american population is small, universities want to buff their diversity statistics, and scholarships funding (or financial aid, the source is really irrelevant) is easy to obtain.

I'm not saying slavery is equal to railroads and internment camps. I just always thought the reason that AA existed was to make ammends for past sins. Railroad labor and internment camps seem like a past sin to me. In that sense, they are similar.

Originally posted by: 91TTZ
I think in this politically correct day and age, people are afraid to admit that there really are differences among races. It's not a matter of just trying hard, it's a matter of capability.

There will always be exceptions to any rule, but the majority of cases is what really matters.

SAT scores, for instance, correlate very closely with IQ. You can argue that if you want, but the numbers don't lie. The races which have higher average IQs have higher average test scores.

I'm sure people will want to bash me for pointing out the obvious, but just look at the numbers, and don't kill the messenger.

You assume that the SAT (and IQ, for that matter) accurately measures intelligence. If a test taker comes from a background similar to that of a test writer, the test taker will do better. It's a cultural thing. Genetic studies have shown that environment is a far better predictor of standardized "tests." If people get up in arms about the source of these studies, I'll go look them up in my notes. For now, you can just take my word for it. =P

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Pandamonium

You assume that the SAT (and IQ, for that matter) accurately measures intelligence. If a test taker comes from a background similar to that of a test writer, the test taker will do better. It's a cultural thing. Genetic studies have shown that environment is a far better predictor of standardized "tests." If people get up in arms about the source of these studies, I'll go look them up in my notes. For now, you can just take my word for it. =P

No, it's not a cultural thing.

People straight off the boat from Asia still do better than black and whites (who presumably wrote the tests).

It's not even an environmental thing. Kids from poor Asian families still score better than kids from wealthy black families. The scores travel tightly along racial lines. The test scores correlate more closely with race than by economic status or location.

Also, of course they accurately measure intelligence. If someone was more intelligent, why would they score *worse* on the test?