Advice on where to live in Los Angeles

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
I currently live an hour north of LA, and I've been offered a job in Redondo Beach. It's near the Rosecrans Avenue exit off the I-405 if you know the area.

I've often sat on the 405 many a time, and I know I won't last long commuting from where I live (if I take the job).

Anyone have suggestions on what city, area, or even a specific apartment complex if I don't want to drive more than 30 minutes to work each way? Would a Culver City to Redondo Beach commute be suicide?

I'm looking for a one bedroom place under $1400 with a washer and dryer in the unit. That's what I need for it to be.

I'd prefer not to drive more than 15 minutes to work. I'd prefer to live in a nice place with decent neighbors. I'd prefer to have a private garage. If not garage, then I'd prefer a gated place or a place with a shared garage with a gate.

I've hit up apartments.com, rent.com, and apartmentreviews.com. I suppose I'll need to just go there and drive around a bit. I thought I'd ask ATOT in case anyone here has some place they absolutely love.

Thanks!

PS - Although I think it'd be fun to live in Inglewood, my family isn't cool with it at all.

Jul 12, 2001
I have 2 friends who do the Culver City to close to Redondo beach, he doesnt mind it too much, not sure exactly how long it takes him though

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Rumpltzer
I currently live an hour north of LA, and I've been offered a job in Redondo Beach. It's near the Rosecrans Avenue exit off the I-405 if you know the area.

I've often sat on the 405 many a time, and I know I won't last long commuting from where I live (if I take the job).

Anyone have suggestions on what city, area, or even a specific apartment complex if I don't want to drive more than 30 minutes to work each way? Would a Culver City to Redondo Beach commute be suicide?

I'm looking for a one bedroom place under $1400 with a washer and dryer in the unit. That's what I need for it to be.

I'd prefer not to drive more than 15 minutes to work. I'd prefer to live in a nice place with decent neighbors. I'd prefer to have a private garage. If not garage, then I'd prefer a gated place or a place with a shared garage with a gate.

I've hit up apartments.com, rent.com, and apartmentreviews.com. I suppose I'll need to just go there and drive around a bit. I thought I'd ask ATOT in case anyone here has some place they absolutely love.

Thanks!

PS - Although I think it'd be fun to live in Inglewood, my fiancee isn't cool with it at all.

Are you working for Northrop Grumman? PM me if you are...

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002

Thanks!

PS - Although I think it'd be fun to live in Inglewood, my fiancee isn't cool with it at all.

Schizoid lives right near there. :)

I live about 5 minutes away from Culver City, and if you were to commute to Redondo in the morning... it would really, REALLY suck. I'd say AT LEAST an hour commute, each way.

I love the apartment complex I'm in right now, my fiance and I pay about $1500/month (that includes all utilities) for a 1 bd/1 ba, shared gated garage, pool, workout room, etc. Still, it's a VERY long commute.

masterxfob

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
there's a two bed, one bath apartment a block from me that's $1150/month in the N. Redondo area.

it's more like a townhouse :)

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: TomatoSchizoid lives right near there. :)

I live about 5 minutes away from Culver City, and if you were to commute to Redondo in the morning... it would really, REALLY suck. I'd say AT LEAST an hour commute, each way.

I love the apartment complex I'm in right now, my fiance and I pay about $1500/month (that includes all utilities) for a 1 bd/1 ba, shared gated garage, pool, workout room, etc. Still, it's a VERY long commute.
Ghuh! I can't deal with an hour commute. I'm guessing I need to be south of the Santa Monica interchange?

Does a company manage your apartment complex? If so, which one (you can PM me if you want)?

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
One bedroom for $1400? Wowza. And I thought bay area was expensive. I got a nice place 1br 2ba here with a garage and WD hookup for $885 :)
There goes my notion that LA was cheaper than bay area :D Then again, in 2000, when I moved here, I rented a small room in a house for $800, so it has really come down since then.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
My friend lives in an apartment building on Inglewood and Aviation in redondo beach. It's kinda run down, but it's huge 2 story apartment, and he gets low income housing assistance, so it's pretty sweet deal.
I think he is paying some pittance like $500 for it. Gotta love section 8 :D

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: SuperTool
One bedroom for $1400? Wowza. And I thought bay area was expensive. I got a nice place 1br 2ba here with a garage and WD hookup for $885 :)
There goes my notion that LA was cheaper than bay area :D Then again, in 2000, when I moved here, I rented a small room in a house for $800, so it has really come down since then.
I was under the same impression.

My ex had a one bedroom place in Santa Clara for $1500. It had a gated parking lot, gas fireplace, washer/dryer, and a pool.

The place I have now (in Oxnard, yo-yo!) is $1360 including a private garage. It's nice and I'm fifteen minutes from work.

If I lived five minutes from work, I'd have to pay $1550 for a comparable place... or live in a craphole if I want to only pay $1200 and live closer to work.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I worked at TRW in Lawndale for many years. Lived in Torrance right on the Redondo border. Nice place to live.

JohnAn2112

Diamond Member
May 8, 2003

OMG where in the bay area is that? That's not a bad price at all.

imported_Tomato

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: TomatoSchizoid lives right near there. :)

Ghuh! I can't deal with an hour commute. I'm guessing I need to be south of the Santa Monica interchange?

Does a company manage your apartment complex? If so, which one (you can PM me if you want)?

Yes, a company manages our apartment complex... it was honestly the nicest of the 20+ we took a look at, and it's a little pricier but worth it (nice neighbors, great facilities, very clean, etc.). You've got PM.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I can't stand LA traffic. And the drivers are pompous showoffs too, especially in Hollywood. Here I am at work in 5 min on freeway, 20 min by bike. LA, you never know how long it's gonna take. Maybe 10 mins, maybe half an hour.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I used to drive their all the time from Culver City on weekends, that is the Fry's exit! :) Took about 30 minutes on weekends. Getting past LAX is the killer spot.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: ZePHyRaNTHeS

OMG where in the bay area is that? That's not a bad price at all.

Sunnyvale. You gotta look carefully to find these gems :) I moved 5 times in 3 years before I settled on this place.

bUnMaNGo

Feb 9, 2000
heh, I work off of Rosecrans and the 405 too (Marine and Sepulveda to be exact) I commute 45mi each way from Diamond Bar to Manhattan Beach... 60w -> 605s -> 105w -> 405s, or 57s -> 91w -> 110s -> 405n plus driving to client's houses around the area. You might want to consider Playa Del Rey or Marina Del Rey

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Orange County

:p

There are some really nice areas in Redondo. What I do when looking to move into a new area is cruise the neighborhood on Saturday night around 10pm. You'll get an idea if it's truly a nice neighborhood, or if the baddies come out to play...

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jadinolf
I worked at TRW in Lawndale for many years. Lived in Torrance right on the Redondo border. Nice place to live.

My father worked at TRW for nearly 20 years. We lived in Granada Hills.

He did a rideshare van.

Though, the traffic in LA is quite a bit worse now than it was in the 70s and 80s.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Amused

He did a rideshare van.

Though, the traffic in LA is quite a bit worse now than it was in the 70s and 80s.

I'll bet the traffic is worse. I left there in 1977.

oog

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2002
start from somewhere near or south of marina del rey. it's even better if you can start south of LAX. if you're trying to get to redondo from the 405, you're going to spend at least 5-10 minutes on local roads after you're off the 405, so i don't think there is much hope of a 15 minute commute.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

In California, if you don't want to drive more than 30 minutes to work, live under your desk.

pancho619

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2000
I live on Prairie & Marine (Lawndale), there's a lot of nice apartments on Prairie Ave. between Manhattan Beach Blvd. & 190th, you might want to check out that area. After reading this thread, I had no idea we had so many AT members in the South Bay, we should have a gathering :D

-- pancho

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
traffic.tann.net is your friend.

I live very close to pancho. between Rosecrans and Marine, and Yukon and Prarie.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused

He did a rideshare van.

I'll bet the traffic is worse. I left there in 1977.

Oh, it is. I visit the area 3-4 times a year and the traffic no longer has any real rush hours. It is one solid traffic jam from 6AM to 9PM. There is NO good time to come up the 405 from the airport to the valley. You'll hit stop and go traffic at ALL times of the day.