News 'Adata Switches to Slower Controller, NAND on SX8200 Pro' - @ Tom's (Update Feb 2021: More changes in components)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-controller-change
A recent Reddit post called attention to the issue, pointing out that the company is swapping out the original SSD controller, an SMI SM2262EN, for the slower-clocked SM2262G, but without informing the public of the changes. This is the first time we’re aware of a company swapping out a controller on an SSD without changing the product name/branding, but Adata left itself some wiggle room by not actually listing the specific controller model on its spec sheet in the first place, stating only that the drive uses an "SMI" controller, which is still true.

Not the best move IMO for Adata, since they already have so many different models out there. and could have simply released another model. It will be interesting to see if this hardware lowers their performance (and if so, how much). They were the ones that also sent out SX8100 drives to customers when they ran out of the 8200 PRO, thinking that the performance was close enough to justify doing so.

Dec 1, 2020 Update: Update with a detailed review of three variations of the drive:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-and-other-ssd-makers-swapping-parts

After reading this review (and seeing at least three variations of this particular drive), IMO it has gone from considering buying it if the price was right, to a do not buy product.

Feb 17, 2021 Update:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-switches-nand-on-sx8200-pro-ssd-performance-impacted

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranulf

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
This is the first time we’re aware of a company swapping out a controller on an SSD without changing the product name/branding...

It's not the first time, Silicon Power S55 did this at least twice but nobody cares about that model because it was a low end tierd product.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It's not the first time, Silicon Power S55 did this at least twice but nobody cares about that model because it was a low end tierd product.
Kingston has gotten caught doing it before as well.

I personally don't have an issue with manufacturers using different components over the life of a product. However, if when changing the component offers slower or inferior performance compared to what it was before, I think that's not cool.

Adata (at least to me) seems really tone deaf when they initially get caught doing something. While it's just an early comparison of the two different versions of the drive, there is a noticeable difference in performance (at least with synthetic testing):
The above are results from my current early sample 1TB Adata XPG SX8200 Pro on the left and ServeTheHome’s recent sample results on the right. As you can see, at the 64MB block size, our read and write rates were 23 and 31 percent faster than theirs. The performance gaps are similar at different block sizes.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Why all the "hate" for Adata, when Samsung has changed NAND generations several times on the same product. (Granted, the detailed product code may be different, but most retailers don't show the detailed product code for Samsung SSDs.)

I'm just glad that Adata didn't suddenly switch to using RealTek controllers on their top model lineup, LOL. Count your blessings.

Also, was the component change a supplier issue, like SMI changed-out their lineup, because they were no longer offering the SMI 2262EN or whatever the controller model was?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Why all the "hate" for Adata, when Samsung has changed NAND generations several times on the same product. (Granted, the detailed product code may be different, but most retailers don't show the detailed product code for Samsung SSDs.)
Samsung didn't put inferior components into their products, and a controller change is usually a bigger difference than NAND at the same density.
There's no "hate" for Adata, I just think they have done a few crappy things over the last few years, and it makes me lose confident in their products (and what I will receive it buying something like one of their highest performance SSDs).

Also, was the component change a supplier issue, like SMI changed-out their lineup, because they were no longer offering the SMI 2262EN or whatever the controller model was?
Because the other SSDs that are pretty much the same hardware weren't changed. And if Adata needed to change it for supply reasons, they shouldn't have replaced it with an inferior option. It's not like there is a slight performance difference, the Tom's article stated preliminarily that there was a performance loss of 21% - 31% in the synthetic benchmarks. That a pretty big difference, and could result in the drive going from being one of the best (at almost every hardware review site) to being one being beat by cheaper models.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I personally don't have an issue with manufacturers using different components over the life of a product. However, if when changing the component offers slower or inferior performance compared to what it was before, I think that's not cool.

I agree completely, but this has always been a risk when buying 3rd party gear. It's simply the nature of 3rd party assembly that components can vary, depending on what can be sourced. But after all, you're buying something based on defined specs, reducing those specs or the performance baseline is simply not okay.

Occasionally, paying the 1st party tax is worth it, just so you're sure what you're getting.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Occasionally, paying the 1st party tax is worth it, just so you're sure what you're getting.
This. I don't recall Intel or Micron ever pulling these sorts of shenanigans. OTOH, it seems par for the course for companies based out of Taiwan.

Nov 1, 2020
I didn't know that between the various revisions of Silicon Motion controllers, there was this difference. I thought it was actually just commercial, but apparently not.
I'm curious to know if the same concept also applies to the other controllers, for example the 2258 which is a single core, quad channel with LDPC d 1
kb (it also has several revisions, for example SM2258H, SM2258G, SM2258 etc.)

NewMaxx

Aug 11, 2007
Definitely not uncommon in the industry, although when Sabrent made changes to the Rocket they were quick to amend their specifications. SP also swapped hardware on the P34A80, many drives can be SM2263XT or E13T depending on region, etc.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Does anyone know if there's been reports of the S11 Pro having the same change?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Updated OP with review of SSD.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-and-other-ssd-makers-swapping-parts
The slower performance is not just disappointing to see, but because of the pairing and firmware configurations, the newer revisions would not have likely made it onto our list of the best SSDs. Or if they landed there, they wouldn't have remained as long as the original model did. And for those buying the drive now based on our original review, there's no real way of knowing whether you're buying version one, v2, or v3.

adata_na

Dec 29, 2020
Dear members of the forum,
XPG is made of members of our gaming community just like you. Therefore, we strive to see our products perform the way you expect them to, and thus we test every product to ensure that real-life performance is not impacted.
We have heard your concerns and opinions. Please reach out to us directly through Service_USA@adata.com or at https://www.xpg.com/us/support/ if you think the performance does not meet your expectations, and we will handle the rest.
As we hear concerns on how the industry provides performance data, we are open to dialogue with component providers and competitors in an open forum to discuss how to represent performance better and avoid confusion in the future.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Dear members of the forum,
XPG is made of members of our gaming community just like you. Therefore, we strive to see our products perform the way you expect them to, and thus we test every product to ensure that real-life performance is not impacted.

I just bought two SSDs within the last week, and despite the 8200 PRO (and XPG Gammix S11 PRO) being around the same price as the ones I purchased, I specifically ruled out both of the Adata drives because of the hardware changes.

In fact, until Adata stops this kind of nonsense, I will not consider their products period.

Feb 4, 2009
I just bought two SSDs within the last week, and despite the 8200 PRO (and XPG Gammix S11 PRO) being around the same price as the ones I purchased, I specifically ruled out both of the Adata drives because of the hardware changes.

In fact, until Adata stops this kind of nonsense, I will not consider their products period.

Same here, I thought about getting an 8200 PRO because it was $15 or $20 less expensive but decided on a WD Black 750, just because:
a) I know there will be minimum shenanigan's
b) at least there is a hope it is not made in China.

Totally worth the trivial amount of money.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
What did Samsung do and did it practically impact performance or endurance? It would be nice to know just to be on guard for future products.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
What did Samsung do and did it practically impact performance or endurance? It would be nice to know just to be on guard for future products.
Since Samsung makes the entire SSD in-house, they often upgrade their products over their lifetime. It might be things like NAND density or an updated controller, however what they don't do is release a SSD and then lesson it's performance with less expensive components (like Adata did recently).

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
seems like an apple move... lol...

watch them come out with a uber platnium line costing more but going back to original specs.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Funny thing with the response from an (apparent) Adata employee in this thread yesterday, was an external hard drive enclosure I bought for my son arrived today. I forgot that it was one from Adata, and I bought it specifically because it was one of the more rugged options I saw.

It's this one for the purpose of this post, and is listed as being USB 3.1. I honestly like the build quality of the enclosure, I just hope I don't find out that Adata quietly downgraded it and it is actually only rated for USB 2.0 speeds now. ;) :p

Feb 4, 2009
I get why & that all vendors make modifications for cost or assembly or availability reasons. Honestly it is fine most of the time.
Adata seems to have a bad habit of doing it for financial reasons and those changes tend to bring lower performance.
Not a good combo if IMO.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I get why & that all vendors make modifications for cost or assembly or availability reasons. Honestly it is fine most of the time.
Adata seems to have a bad habit of doing it for financial reasons and those changes tend to bring lower performance.
Not a good combo if IMO.

if they been up front, told the people we are changing the controller to keep cost competitive for the buyer, they would of gotten such a better feedback, as when people are looking for bottom dollar ssd's ultimately its the price ratio as primary, then speed secondary.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's kind of like your GF cheating on you. You know, she knows you know, but she won't admit it...

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-switches-nand-on-sx8200-pro-ssd-performance-impacted

It looks like Adata still didn't learn from (or possibly even care) about the blowback they received the first time around by swapping in lower performing parts.
A report has emerged that Adata has altered its XPG SX8200 Pro again by swapping in SK Hynix flash, making this the fourth known SSD configuration. According to the report, the latest revision is purportedly 23.6% percent slower in sequential read speed than the previous revision, and it also takes a 14.3% haircut in sequential write performance. As before, Adata ships this drive with the same model number as the original SSD.

Last edited:

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
It looks like Adata still didn't learn from (or possibly even care) about the blowback they received the first time around by swapping in lower performing parts.
We still need to see controlled testing on this before we throw them under the bus. Not looking good for Adata either way though, as the published specs for their drives are no longer worth much.

On a side note, I find it a bit ironic that people in that Reddit thread are recommending Western Digital SSDs, considering WDs recent practice with SMR platters :p. (if they did it with platters, they'll do it with NAND as well)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
We still need to see controlled testing on this before we throw them under the bus. Not looking good for Adata either way though, as the published specs for their drives are no longer worth much.

On a side note, I find it a bit ironic that people in that Reddit thread are recommending Western Digital SSDs, considering WDs recent practice with SMR platters :p. (if they did it with platters, they'll do it with NAND as well)
Tom's did testing on three variants of the drive (the link is in the OP).

Western Digital, while initially being defiant when caught, quickly changed their naming scheme for the SMR/CMR drives. Since October 2020 when it was first brought to light that Adata was swapping in lower-performing components, Adata has simply given consumers the middle finger while continuing to swap in inferior components.