Discussion Ada/'Lovelace'? Next gen Nvidia gaming architecture speculation

Page 85 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Um I think it was pretty clear I was saying to take it with a grain of salt when I posted Then again, source is WCCFTech quoting Moore's Law is Dead.

Actions speak loudly, as you then went on to come up with theories why the $750 MSRP is a real thing, instead of just dismissing it as the nonsense it is.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Quote from the MLID video:

"I think there's a very good chance this could end up being the price of the 4070, as silly as it sounds. But because it sounds silly, I want to be extra clear about exactly what I'm leaking today, alright?

What I'm leaking today is that right now, today, March 14th, Nvidia has communicated to their partners, in writing, that they plan to charge $749.99 right now, and that they're doing extra efforts to ensure that AIBs don't charge more than around 10% above MSRP. Whereas if you remember back to the 4070 Ti, a lot of those models to this day were 20 or 30% above MSRP. And so it seems like Nvidia's attempting to keep the average price of this card about 10% below the 4070 Ti, even if the starting price isn't even 10% cheaper.

But you know speaking of the 4070 Ti, don't forget that although my sources are sure this is the plan right now, that they also think that the price could be changed, and if you remember what I leaked about the 4070 Ti. On December 27th I communicated that it seemed like AIBs were preparing to charge basically the same price they were already planning to charge for a 4080 12 GB. Around $900. But then just a day later, I got confirmation that Nvidia had made a last minute decision to lower the MSRP to $800. And a lot of AIB models had their pricing adjusted down as well. And I could totally see that happening again. "

So take it with a grain of salt but in today's gpu market? I would not be surprised by Nvidia doing this.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
That I really don't like garbage rumor click bait.

Don't know why you take such offense to the idea that companies leak info out, often BS info. Also don't know why you have a real hard-on for people here who don't like Nvidia jacking up the price of cards this gen.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Don't know why you take such offense to the idea that companies leak info out, often BS info. Also don't know why you have a real hard-on for people here who don't like Nvidia jacking up the price of cards this gen.

I've yet to see any evidence of company sponsored leaks. Lots of conspiracy theory type nonsense though. These companies have barely coherent actual marketing. To think they are playing some kind of 4D chess, backchannel marketing to the sub 1% of nerds that actually care about these kinds of rumors is absurd.

What I take offense from is treating clickbaiters like MLID as credible, even when the nonsense is obviously garbage. I remember some histrionics before Ampere launch when MLID claimed NVidia was going to put DLSS in it's drivers so it would just work in all games (without game developer work), then force it on, to cheat benchmarks. Anyone with a brain could figure out that this was impossible, but yet a bunch of people treat that as credible and get angry like it's really going to happen. When it doesn't happen, they don't seem to realize that MLID just spews clickbait garbage, and wait for the next MLID garbage to treat as credible.

I dislike GPU inflation as much as the next guy. But it's hardly NVidia only phenomena. AMD is essentially doing the same thing. Outside of last generation clearance cards, they keep just slightly better than than NVidia perf/$ generation after generation. I only question the histrionics around it. None of these companies are your buddy, and they will all charge as much as the market will bear.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Quote from the MLID video:

"I think there's a very good chance this could end up being the price of the 4070, as silly as it sounds. But because it sounds silly, I want to be extra clear about exactly what I'm leaking today, alright?

What I'm leaking today is that right now, today, March 14th, Nvidia has communicated to their partners, in writing, that they plan to charge $749.99 right now, and that they're doing extra efforts to ensure that AIBs don't charge more than around 10% above MSRP. Whereas if you remember back to the 4070 Ti, a lot of those models to this day were 20 or 30% above MSRP. And so it seems like Nvidia's attempting to keep the average price of this card about 10% below the 4070 Ti, even if the starting price isn't even 10% cheaper.

But you know speaking of the 4070 Ti, don't forget that although my sources are sure this is the plan right now, that they also think that the price could be changed, and if you remember what I leaked about the 4070 Ti. On December 27th I communicated that it seemed like AIBs were preparing to charge basically the same price they were already planning to charge for a 4080 12 GB. Around $900. But then just a day later, I got confirmation that Nvidia had made a last minute decision to lower the MSRP to $800. And a lot of AIB models had their pricing adjusted down as well. And I could totally see that happening again. "

So take it with a grain of salt but in today's gpu market? I would not be surprised by Nvidia doing this.

Here's how I read this:

I'm making up a price that I think Nvidia will target. I don't have any solid sources on this but it sounds reasonable. Since I'm not really sure, I'll give a decent range for margin and then if I was really wrong on the price, I'll still claim that I was right all along and that Nvidia just changed their mind at the last minute.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
AMD is essentially doing the same thing. Outside of last generation clearance cards, they keep just slightly better than than NVidia perf/$ generation after generation.
Yes and no, 6900XT had a MSRP @ $999 at release and 7900XTX had a MSRP @ $999 at release. Same tier card, same price, and better price/performance looking at release MSRP's. The problem is that in last generation the 6800XT and 6800 was also Navi 21 and had much better price/performance ratio than the 6900XT and the 6800XT was pretty close in performance. And with current pricing of the Navi 21 cards, the price/performance is slightly worse for the Navi31 cards, but that is normal for the top cards. So the 7900XTX is better value than the 6900XT was at launch, compared to the lower tier cards, but that says most about the value of the 6900XT.

Reactions: psolord

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Hence the Then again, source is WCCFTech quoting Moore's Law is Dead I posted

And again, that's just a meaningless generic disclaimer.

Did you then dismiss it as unlikely, or treat it as credible and come up with theories how it could be true?

You did the latter.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
What I take offense from is treating clickbaiters like MLID as credible, even when the nonsense is obviously garbage.

I agree that MLID is highly unreliable, as he clearly makes stuff up and then deletes his video's when he gets things egregiously wrong. However, I don't see how this rumor is obviously garbage with how Nvidia has been pricing the 4000-series so far. It's definitely on the edge of what is plausible, though.

Reactions: Ranulf

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
I am way more upset at the pricing of mobile cards, lol. 4090, 4080 mobile are priced as high as their desktop counterparts, with much lower specs, and this is only partially offset by the (supposedly) better binning and mobile form factor.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
And again, that's just a meaningless generic disclaimer.

Did you then dismiss it as unlikely, or treat it as credible and come up with theories how it could be true?

You did the latter.

All I said was maybe Nvidia was floating a high number so they could look like heroes when they dropped the price, which is what they did with the RTX 4070 Ti.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
All I said was maybe Nvidia was floating a high number so they could look like heroes when they dropped the price, which is what they did with the RTX 4070 Ti.

No, they really didn't. That wasn't some kind of secret leak floating a number. They publicly released actual naming and pricing for it, got massively ridiculed (beyond anything I have seen before) for both. They backtracked and changed the name and slightly reduced the price and came off looking like out of touch buffoons, not heroes.

That they are purposefully leaking something aimed at some irrelevant fraction of the market that is absorbed in the rumor space doesn't hold much water. I'd bet most buyers weren't even aware of the whole 4080 12GB fiasco, and that was official public info that was massively covered, and ridiculed.

Also if you remember what EVGA said was so maddening dealing with NVidia is that they often didn't know pricing themselves until NVidia did an official product release. Pricing is among the tightest held info at NVidia.

This card will likely be around 20% slower (if not worse) than a 4070Ti, so should be at least 20% cheaper to not get a negative responses. So should be around $650 or less. I could see NVidia pushing to $700, but getting a lot of ridicule. $750 response would/should be even worse than the original 4080 12GB response.

I give zero credibility to MLID. I'd bet on the ~$650 MSRP enforced day one reviews, to make it look not so terrible. Though even there it really won't have better perf/$ than 4070 Ti, but that will depend on exact pricing, and performance.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
No, they really didn't. That wasn't some kind of secret leak floating a number. They publicly released actual naming and pricing for it, got massively ridiculed (beyond anything I have seen before) for both. They backtracked and changed the name and slightly reduced the price and came off looking like out of touch buffoons, not heroes.

That they are purposefully leaking something aimed at some irrelevant fraction of the market that is absorbed in the rumor space doesn't hold much water. I'd bet most buyers weren't even aware of the whole 4080 12GB fiasco, and that was official public info that was massively covered, and ridiculed.

Also if you remember what EVGA said was so maddening dealing with NVidia is that they often didn't know pricing themselves until NVidia did an official product release. Pricing is among the tightest held info at NVidia.

This card will likely be around 20% slower (if not worse) than a 4070Ti, so should be at least 20% cheaper to not get a negative responses. So should be around $650 or less. I could see NVidia pushing to $700, but getting a lot of ridicule. $750 response would/should be even worse than the original 4080 12GB response.

I give zero credibility to MLID. I'd bet on the ~$650 MSRP enforced day one reviews, to make it look not so terrible. Though even there it really won't have better perf/$ than 4070 Ti, but that will depend on exact pricing, and performance.

The gaming press all talked about how good it was Nvidia dropped the MSRP $100 which softened the blow of it being a terribly priced card. You're getting on me for conjecture when you say the same price I said I expected it to be haha.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
The gaming press all talked about how good it was Nvidia dropped the MSRP $100 which softened the blow of it being a terribly priced card. You're getting on me for conjecture when you say the same price I said I expected it to be haha.

I remember 3 stages to the Fiasco:

Stage one: Launch: Name and price met with Massive outrage.

Stage two: Unlaunching: Ridicule for unlaunching.

Stage three: Relaunch and reviews: Which weren't very positive:

Far from looking like heroes, they managed to look like buffoons and end with mediocre reviews. This isn't something they would ever want to repeat.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Far from looking like heroes, they managed to look like buffoons and end with mediocre reviews. This isn't something they would ever want to repeat.

Nvidia proves with every release event that they definitely do want to repeat that, with their constant lies and deceptions. No one forced them to lie that the 4070 Ti is 12 times faster than a 1080 Ti, yet they did. No one forced them to cherry pick so they could deceptively claim that it is faster than a 3090 Ti.

Where do you get this perception from that they care about mediocre reviews?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
$750 MSRP makes zero sense, even for Nvidia. It's not like 4070 Tis have been particularly hard to find at the $800 MSRP, and this card is going to be noticeably slower for only a $50 savings? MLID is just pulling it out of where the sun doesn't shine again.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are OC models at $749. But MSRP, no.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
So apparently Gigabyte confirmed the 4060 will be 8GB with their control center. Gross, that'll probably be a $400 card too when they can sell crap 3050 for $280.

TESKATLIPOKA

Platinum Member
May 1, 2020
So apparently Gigabyte confirmed the 4060 will be 8GB with their control center. Gross, that'll probably be a $400 card too when they can sell crap 3050 for $280.

And the funniest thins is that It could be either Ada106 or Ada107. At least If It was Ada106, then It would be faster, but buying a $400 with only 8GB Vram is not the best decision.