Discussion Ada/'Lovelace'? Next gen Nvidia gaming architecture speculation

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
I disagree. The monolithic die is just because that is more efficient for a small chip.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The fact that we're seeing 3 different Navi dies, one of which is monolithic would seem to suggest to me that there are still some kinks to be worked out when it comes to designing MCM GPUs. Otherwise AMD would have just created a single Navi chiplet that could be used in any number necessary to hit a particular performance level.

Keeping relevant to this thread (heh), it's almost certainly N5 wafer costs and maybe on some level availability.

It does make me wonder if AD106 and AD107 are on N6 or some other node that's not N5.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I don't know. It's certainly possible that NVidia could split up the product line across multiple nodes, but it does mean a lot of additional design work since you can't just create a single design for N5 that will magically work if back-ported to N6 without some tweaking. If they were going to do that it would only be because they made a decision similar to the one during Turing where some of the lineup didn't have RT hardware. Of course that doesn't seem likely because they'd be walking back what they did with Ampere where it was included across the lineup, even in chips that would never use it due to performance concerns.

The more likely outcome would be using a single node and just having a staggered release schedule with smaller dies launching later in the product cycle. There were some rumors that they'd continue producing Ampere on Samsung for a while after the Lovelace launch, which makes sense if they'll only have their big dies available for the first several months. It took over 5 months for GA-106 to hit the market and GA-107 only came out another 3 months after that.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I don't know. It's certainly possible that NVidia could split up the product line across multiple nodes, but it does mean a lot of additional design work since you can't just create a single design for N5 that will magically work if back-ported to N6 without some tweaking.

It is only a measly 20% SM increase. Crazy as it sounds you shouldn't rule out some Samsung node either.

Karnak

Jan 5, 2017
Because 'in the beginning' would mean something like back in 2020. I like him, but at this point he is just guessing.

Ada from now is most likely the same it has been since the whole of 2021. There were now special changes or secret sauce stuff like 10 months ago which means Ada is now more than just an Ampere refresh. That's just nonsense tbh.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
No, that is NOT what he means, at all ;).

Its just wording, but the sense of chronological order suggests that there were vast changes to the architecture.

Those changes may be the reason why the power went through the roof.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
There is a substantial lead time, so I don't see much room for a full redesign, although they might have increased the number of cores.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Why nobody mentioned this?

"I must clarify that the current AD102 is NOT the original AD102. Ada Lovelace is no longer a simple Ampere refresh, although it was like this in the beginning."

I like how he's covering for his initial mistake. I suspect all along Ada Lovelace was a new architecture. He may have been fed bad info. Take what he says with a grain of salt.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
I agree that this is probably just to cover up a mistake on his part. It's very plausible that Nvidia also worked on a refresh, like AMD is releasing with the 6x50 cards, but that they didn't deem it necessary.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I like how he's covering for his initial mistake. I suspect all along Ada Lovelace was a new architecture. He may have been fed bad info. Take what he says with a grain of salt.

Guess there's a fine line between a "new architecture" and a "simple refresh". If they went to 192 cores/SM plus the extra L2, is that really a new architecture? Maybe if they beefed up the RT engine?

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Guess there's a fine line between a "new architecture" and a "simple refresh". If they went to 192 cores/SM plus the extra L2, is that really a new architecture? Maybe if they beefed up the RT engine?
Hard to say, right? Nvidia called Pascal a new architecture but under the hood, it was more or less an updated Maxwell on a newer node, with higher clocks, better memory compression, and some added features for VR. No IPC gains or a revamp of the SM.

With Lovelace, I think we'll get updated tensor and RT cores, which warrants calling it a new architecture. The enlarged L2 cache and whatever capabilities it permits also warrants calling it a new architecture too, in my opinion.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
NV, not content to be beaten on any front by AMD, is now hellbent in building its own faster, sleeker, RTX On hype train

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010

I am not sure what is he covering for. 11 months ago he posted that thing about Lovelace being 2,2x as fast as Ampere, RDNA 2,5x and Hopper 3x (since it was supposed to be chiplet-based). Was the "low" 2,2x estimation meant to imply Lovelace being only Ampere "refresh"? Cause i certainly did not read it that way.
And does this all mean now we shall expect higher performance jump than 2,2x?

SmokSmog

Oct 2, 2020
He told that
Lovelace 2,2x of GA102 and Navi31 2,5x of Navi21

But GA102 is at least 10% faster than Navi21 at 4K

So
2,2*1,1=2,42
So
Navi21 = 1x
GA102 = 1,1x
AD102 = 2,42x
Navi31 = 2,5x

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
He told that
Lovelace 2,2x of GA102 and Navi31 2,5x of Navi21

But GA102 is at least 10% faster than Navi21 at 4K

So
2,2*1,1=2,42
So
Navi21 = 1x
GA102 = 1,1x
AD102 = 2,42x
Navi31 = 2,5x

It'd be way too early for either to finalize clock speeds. I wouldn't read much into that statement.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Apparently RDNA3 might have 3+GHz and 92TFlops. If thats the case, i am pretty sure Nvidia will be shooting for similar numbers with AD102. Those cca 18000+ cores at 2,5GHz would give similar TFlops after all.

Since 3090 with its 36TFlops is pretty much almost 2x as fast as 2080Ti with 18TFlops at rendering, i am salivating at proposition of a card with almost 3x higher TFlops.

xpea

Feb 14, 2014
No, that is NOT what he means, at all ;).

Its just wording, but the sense of chronological order suggests that there were vast changes to the architecture.

Those changes may be the reason why the power went through the roof.
Kopite has good source but what he says is non sense. Lovelace architecture was frozen 10 months ago and nothing has changed since. It's not a trivial task to get these multi billion transistors dies and you can't update a design in the middle of the road, unless you want to delay the product by several months. So once frozen, you have to do algorithm validation, circuit design, xtor floor plan, AI optimization, RTL generation / tape out. AD102 Silicon came back 3 weeks ago. Another 4-6 months of debugging and qualification, and AD102 HVM should be ready for back to school launch

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Is it possible that NV was running a couple different archs teams against each other, the leaks are from Arch team A, but NV will be going with Arch team B's more moonshot design or something?

A company with as much to spend on R&D as NV must have their fingers in a bunch of pies, and we know they design variations on their arch for different markets.

Changing the arch name is like the simplest thing to do.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Is it possible that NV was running a couple different archs teams against each other, the leaks are from Arch team A, but NV will be going with Arch team B's more moonshot design or something?

A company with as much to spend on R&D as NV must have their fingers in a bunch of pies, and we know they design variations on their arch for different markets.

Changing the arch name is like the simplest thing to do.
Or simply heavily OC'ed silicon, which is why the power went from 450W to 600W, for halo SKU, but standard version.

102 TFLOPs equals to 2.75 GHz on 18452 CUDA cores.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
They should just quit messing around and charge between 5 and 10 grand for the entire lineup. Let's get these endless price hikes and product stack changes to their logical conclusion already.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Or simply heavily OC'ed silicon, which is why the power went from 450W to 600W, for halo SKU, but standard version.

102 TFLOPs equals to 2.75 GHz on 18452 CUDA cores.

I am seriously doubting most of the rumors regarding clocks and TDPs.

My FTW3 3090 already has a large, unwieldily cooler. To add a 50% larger heat sink on top of that? To say nothing of lost slots, a GPU support bracket would be absolutely required and not every case supports the use of said brackets.

A 900W TDP? No way.

What I expect we will see is 2-2.2 Ghz tops unless NVIDIA has made huge efficiency gains. The possible mhz increase from the shrink from Samsung 8n to TSMC N5 will be offset by a much larger die.

If NVIDIA has made breakthroughs in power management or cooling, then maybe, but something tells me these GPUs aren’t going to be as fast as people think. The top tier may be 40-60% faster than a 3090. That is my guess.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
I expect that water cooling will become common for the 4090.