[Action RPG] Path of Exile

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Are people still playing this game?

I'm just curious because I feel like I've already moved on (excellent game, no fault, I just played it to death), and I don't know anyone playing them.

They said this game has a 10-year plan. I just don't see the game having that much longevity.

I'm still playing it and very much enjoying it.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
yeah saw that.
this week improvement to duelist tree.
next week improvement to melee in general.

plus a new skill: inferno
easy to make it overpowered- stick it in a spell totem. since spell totems dont move, that inferno will be doing MAJOR fire dmg near the end of the totem's life

Last edited:

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Personally I think that it is shameful that Diablo 3 and PoE have such a lack of item diversity. I mean, the set items in Diablo 3 were untouchable for most of the population, and there aren't even any sets in PoE...

However, the orb system in PoE is actually fantastic. To combine currency with crafting was a brilliant decision by the developers. It truly adds a lot of depth, and a way to keep inflation slightly in check.

Also even though the endgame of both these releases sucks, PoE has its races. So far the races have been a fantastic addition for me and really extended my interest. I've been researching and practicing a game. This is a rare and treasured thing.

Sets and item diversity are two conflicting ideas to me. Sets limit both item and build diversity by shoehorning people into a specific build with a specific set of gear.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Are people still playing this game?

I'm just curious because I feel like I've already moved on (excellent game, no fault, I just played it to death), and I don't know anyone playing them.

They said this game has a 10-year plan. I just don't see the game having that much longevity.

I play it every day. I even cancelled a couple game preorders cause of it.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The GGG (Path of Exile) team is attempting to release a small patch each week that will include at least one new skill and three new uniques, as well as tweaks.

Every week.

That's awesome!

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Its a fun game, but repetitive. I play it for a hour or so at a time. The drops don't seem to be very diverse. I'm level 38 or 40 i forget and have same items as level 10. Nothing else out there unless you get orange. But more often than not even rare drops are not for you.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Hit 73 on my default Witch last night. Pretty much using her as a farmer, running maps with 189% rarity on gear, and negative resists. I die once in awhile, when I get a bad rare, but otherwise the lack of resists isn't too much of an issue.

Word to the wise, if you get the map mod with enemies shoot 4 extra projectiles... alt that map. I didn't die, but man was that hard, especially considering they were all archers, vipers, and even those poison guys from A3 sewers... imagine them with GMP.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Its a fun game, but repetitive. I play it for a hour or so at a time. The drops don't seem to be very diverse. I'm level 38 or 40 i forget and have same items as level 10. Nothing else out there unless you get orange. But more often than not even rare drops are not for you.

yeah i know what u mean about repetitive, especially Act 1.

in the beginning i've run so many different toons thru act1 just for the gems.

now i'm Merciless act1 and i cant get the motivation to do more than 1 waypoint at a sitting. come back a couple of hrs later and do another waypoint. just got the prison/warden waypoint.
now to do something else...

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I can't think of any game that isn't repetitive.

I do get frustrated when my characters die, but instead of feeling bored about going through the early game again it's more of a refreshing feeling, because it's nice to breeze through the easy parts before getting to the (slightly) more stressful game at cruel difficulty. The repetition is also diminished because each time I play through I play a different sort of character. A summoner witch plays different from a frost nova witch plays different from a fire templar plays different from an evasion bow ranger. It's never really the same even when I am going through the same levels again, unless I want it to be the same.

However, I do have a minor complaint, it's that vaal seems to be unfairly punishing towards melee. Unless you crazy stack resist, armor, and hp, he can simply one shot you with his crush. It's avoidable, yes. But it's a long fight and there is a lot going on and it's a little bit too punishing IMO to kill a character because of one mistake, when a ranged character can make numerous mistakes without ever dying, because the threats that ranged characters deal with don't instantly kill them.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Is there any death penalty in this game? I died 3-4 times for now and can't see how it affects my toon...

It sure gets repetitve especially since most items look the same...which I find a bit boring. Sure i'm only level 18 and starting Act 2 with my 2H Marauder, which is pretty fun to play, but i'd like to see more diversity.

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
I just started this game this weekend. First thing that sticks out is no quest log? I got some quests I took but can't find where to open a quest log book. It seems fun for now.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Sets and item diversity are two conflicting ideas to me. Sets limit both item and build diversity by shoehorning people into a specific build with a specific set of gear.

This just isn't the case unless they do a poor job of it. Diablo 3 made individual set items best in slot items... This killed diversity as you mentioned. Diablo 2 had tons of sets, and they were used end game by many people but they were not the best end game. There are a couple tricks to sets. One is to back-load the bonuses so you only get them when you equip most or all of the pieces. Another is to give the sets their own artwork/visual effects. I think GGG would go for the latter as they already implemented new unique artwork for this season's rewards.

Good item diversity means lots of choices. If you balance sets correctly or give them non-game-breaking bonuses there should be no problem. Plus it gives people more items to collect!

...and to the people who are burnt out on the game. Try the races! They are awesome!

Nov 7, 2000
I just started this game this weekend. First thing that sticks out is no quest log? I got some quests I took but can't find where to open a quest log book. It seems fun for now.
World map, shortcut is U

The quests are represented with icons under the map.

Nov 7, 2000
Is there any death penalty in this game? I died 3-4 times for now and can't see how it affects my toon...

It sure gets repetitve especially since most items look the same...which I find a bit boring. Sure i'm only level 18 and starting Act 2 with my 2H Marauder, which is pretty fun to play, but i'd like to see more diversity.
Standard leagues
Upon character death in a Standard league, the character suffers a loss of experience. The amount of experience lost is equal to a percentage of the experience nessecary to progress from the character's current level to the next higher level. This percentage varies depending on the difficulty in which the character died:

Hard Difficulty: 0%
Cruel Difficulty: 7%
Merciless: 15%

Experience lost in this way will never cause a character to drop down a level. If a chacter has not earned any experience towards the next level (or has lost it all), death effectively has no penalty until that character earns some experience.

Nov 7, 2000
ran into Marceus the Defaced last night and he whooped me. i should have gone and watched TV with the wife like I said i was going to do, but i needed revenge. went back and killed him, and he dropped my second unique - Wondertrap Boots. woot

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Anyone got any rare maps they want to trade?

I have a few that are suited to high leech (cannot regen life or mana), and one with 75% monster resistance to fire (but I'm a fire witch). All of them are around 50%+ quantity, looking to trade for maps that might have bad mods for your class, but not for mine.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
However, I do have a minor complaint, it's that vaal seems to be unfairly punishing towards melee. Unless you crazy stack resist, armor, and hp, he can simply one shot you with his crush. It's avoidable, yes. But it's a long fight and there is a lot going on and it's a little bit too punishing IMO to kill a character because of one mistake, when a ranged character can make numerous mistakes without ever dying, because the threats that ranged characters deal with don't instantly kill them.

Remember I shared I went pure defensive lifestealing Marauder? (after getting sick of pure DPS Ranger that was scared of its own shadow)

I purposely wanted to see if I could survive Vaal's big donkey punch. I was amazed to see I lived with 20% hp, taking that head-on. That was normal.

Also I lived again with 15%~ at Merciless. I was appropriately weaker at that level, but when I quit at Act 3 Merciless, he looked like this:

My current all-tank Marauder at level 46:

1600 hp, 2164 armor
21% evasion (IMO, an additional layer of 21% evasion better than Iron Reflexes giving +8% more reduction)
5 endurance charges = 75% physical reduction total
85% physical reduction if Flaming Shield is on (another 600 armor), but it blows up very quickly
All resist maxed at 75%
530 DPS for single target (Bash) with effective 16% lifesteal per swing
236 DPS for Cleave with effective 25%~ lifesteal per swing (dat life-on-hit gem is great)
All skill points spent on life

All my points focused on life points (most important stat in the game over dodge/evade/armor).

I didn't have any special items and my level was same as map's level. Also, you have to be asking for it to get hit by Vaal's melee. It has a very slow & predictable wind-up.

That marauder hit a wall at Merciless Act 3. That's when I enjoyed the game enough and quit altogether.

Last edited:

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
BTW, great informative thread, very useful for gamers like me that don't play that often.
Thanks guys!

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
needed to upgrade my 4L bow.

someone was selling a bow with double the base dps of my bow, but it only had 1 socket. but he was selling it cheap... 1 chaos

i figured w/the $ i saved, i'd use some jewerlers orbs to get 4L.
well, went thru all 43 jewerlers. best was 3L 4socket and that was on the 2nd try.

ARRGG! bangs head on wall.

Bow is lvl63 so i should have seen at least a 5socket once going thru all those jewelers?
sigh..

oh.. and by poe exhange rates, all the jewerlers i wasted were worth 5chaos.
altho i dont consider them currency at all since noone trades in jewerlers.

Last edited:

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Fusings are sold by the merchant chick for 4 jewelers orbs, and a fusing equals an alchemy orb, so yea, you spent about 5 chaos.

Traded 60 fusings (all from jewelers at merch) for 60 alchemy orbs yesterday... used about 15 so far on ilvl 68+ white items I found on maps, but that is pretty much my extent of using orbs on items now.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Fusings are sold by the merchant chick for 4 jewelers orbs, and a fusing equals an alchemy orb, so yea, you spent about 5 chaos.

Traded 60 fusings (all from jewelers at merch) for 60 alchemy orbs yesterday... used about 15 so far on ilvl 68+ white items I found on maps, but that is pretty much my extent of using orbs on items now.

waoh.. so jewerlers at the vendor is market price?!
could have bought a much nicer bow for 6 chaos (5 from jewerlers and 1 to buy the bow). thats 2 GCP.
fvck me!

what else at the vendor is market price?

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Remember I shared I went pure defensive lifestealing Marauder? (after getting sick of pure DPS Ranger that was scared of its own shadow)

I purposely wanted to see if I could survive Vaal's big donkey punch. I was amazed to see I lived with 20% hp, taking that head-on. That was normal.

Also I lived again with 15%~ at Merciless.

Good to know. I guess it's just annoying because it's a several hour time investment to get to Vaal, so in hardcore the "testing" process and seeing if you can survive a hit or not is very time consuming.

Also, you have to be asking for it to get hit by Vaal's melee. It has a very slow & predictable wind-up.

Maybe, but my point was that as a ranged you never had to worry about anything like this. For example, Vaal's lightning shot needs to hit you 3 times in a row to really do the dangerous sort of damage that could kill you in one hit, and even then I don't think it will if you have resists. Throughout most of the game you can make a mistake and live. This is nearly the only place I have ever died in a single attack*.

And when I died, it was after vaal disappeared and re-emerged, it sure didn't seem like there was much time to move away. Afterwards I've heard that he will always do a crush immediately following the emerge, and you just need to hang back until then, but I didn't know it at the time.

*Although, there was one other similar instant-death case. A summoner witch I was building (not my main though) with a bit less hp than usual died instantly. There are mobs in the aqueducts which gain power charges and can discharge them all at once for massive damage when a significant number are stacked. That itself is annoying, but they ALSO have blink strike. A rare version of that mob type used blink strike on my witch and instantly discharged with no time to react and I was dead.

However, I didn't feel as cheated in that case, because I figured it was my fault for running around with low resists and low max hp/energy shield. And most importantly, the attack was something that would hurt melee and ranged the same. The annoying part of vaal is that I've killed him dozens of times and never had a problem as ranged, yet as melee there is this extra thing to worry about.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
waoh.. so jewerlers at the vendor is market price?!
could have bought a much nicer bow for 6 chaos (5 from jewerlers and 1 to buy the bow). thats 2 GCP.
fvck me!

what else at the vendor is market price?

Fusings seem to the best for 4 jewelers, but you can trade up trans to aug to alt to jeweler if you have tons of those.

Personally, I use alot of alts on maps, so I don't trade them for jewelers unless I have 100+. Trans and Augs I don't use much, so I will trade them up to alts when I have 2 stacks on reserve.

Just don't make the mistake I did, and trade up any extra Wisdom Scrolls to trans (wis to portal to trans). Now that I'm doing maps and item runs, I've shelled out a few gcp overall for wisdom scrolls.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Fusings seem to the best for 4 jewelers, but you can trade up trans to aug to alt to jeweler if you have tons of those.

Personally, I use alot of alts on maps, so I don't trade them for jewelers unless I have 100+. Trans and Augs I don't use much, so I will trade them up to alts when I have 2 stacks on reserve.

Just don't make the mistake I did, and trade up any extra Wisdom Scrolls to trans (wis to portal to trans). Now that I'm doing maps and item runs, I've shelled out a few gcp overall for wisdom scrolls.

How do you get so many wisdom scrolls?

i keep selling trans and whetstones to get wisdoms to ID stuff