ACT tomorrow morning. *update: got my scores back*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: PsychoAndy
You should try again if it's your first time. I took it twice and got a 29 and a 31. Science Reasoning is really easy, so if you get a 36 on reading and science, you might hit 35, or even 36. Also, colleges would go insane for a 35. Hell, most schools would go insane for a 34, since both scores would be somewhere in the mid-high 1500s on the SAT scale. Assuming you have the GPA and extracurriculars to back it up, you could probably get into a bunch of schools with a bunch of scholarships. And yes, you could just put down your highest score.
I definately have the GPA but not much extracurricular. What should I get involved in? .. hmmm. And I already had my scores sent to the colleges I am thinking about. If I did this again, would they see both ACT scores when they pulled up my info or just the highest?

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: FallenHero
Originally posted by: shrinertech I got a 28 on my ACT... :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( I didn't get much sleep the night before, was extremely tired, about to fall asleep, etc. I really need to take it again. Andrew
whats wrong with a 28? What college you want to get into?

Well I personally thought that 28 was rather good, but after seeing some of the scores on here, and people wanting to be even higher, that changed my opinion :confused:

Andrew

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Deslocke
You should try again if it's your first time. I took it twice and got a 29 and a 31. Science Reasoning is really easy, so if you get a 36 on reading and science, you might hit 35, or even 36. Also, colleges would go insane for a 35. Hell, most schools would go insane for a 34, since both scores would be somewhere in the mid-high 1500s on the SAT scale. Assuming you have the GPA and extracurriculars to back it up, you could probably get into a bunch of schools with a bunch of scholarships. And yes, you could just put down your highest score.
I definately have the GPA but not much extracurricular. What should I get involved in? .. hmmm. And I already had my scores sent to the colleges I am thinking about. If I did this again, would they see both ACT scores when they pulled up my info or just the highest?

They'd see both scores. If you managed to get a lower score, they'd still take in consideration your highest score.

Just join clubs you like, clubs that take the least amount of work, or make your own.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Just join clubs you like, clubs that take the least amount of work, or make your own.
Can I consider teaching myself PHP, MySQL, *NIX stuff, etc. to be "extracurricular" activities? Does 4-H count, too?

fizmeister

Oct 29, 2002
Well I took the test. I think I did really well on the English and math sections but had to rush through the last part of the reading section and my mind was completely shot when I got to the science reasoning section .. I had to read a question about 3 times for it to actually make sense. I did end up finishing though (barely). I think it was a bit harder than the practice exam so probably get a 33 or below (hopefully not too far below). We shall see .. it's good to have it out of the way anyway.
I finally got my scores today and actually did worse on the English and math then the reading and science. Well anyway, here's my score:

Composite: 34
English: 33
Math: 33
Reading: 36
Science: 34

I am wondering if I should try again because I know I can do better on the math and possibly the English. But then again I think I got lucky on reading and science. If I did manage to get a 35, would it make any difference for getting into colleges, getting scholarships, etc. And if I got a lower score would they just take the highest?

Some colleges will go insane. Scores don't get you into top schools. My friend missed 1 on the ACT the first time he took it and got rejected from Princeton, Harvard, Stanford and Rice. He's at UVa.

Also, I think the ACT is a bit easier than the SAT, and the conversions are stupid, because they're completely different tests.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: jliechty
Can I consider teaching myself PHP, MySQL, *NIX stuff, etc. to be "extracurricular" activities? Does 4-H count, too?
I don't think teaching yourself stuff would be considered extracurricular but there is probably somewhere to put stuff like that when applying for colleges. I'm pretty sure 4-H does count as extracurricular.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I decided i didnt want to wake up the day i was supposed to take them.

So i signed up for another SAT the next month and upped my score another 200pts :)

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: fizmeister
Some colleges will go insane. Scores don't get you into top schools. My friend missed 1 on the ACT the first time he took it and got rejected from Princeton, Harvard, Stanford and Rice. He's at UVa.

Also, I think the ACT is a bit easier than the SAT, and the conversions are stupid, because they're completely different tests.
I'm not planning to go to an Ivy League school or anything, but I am hoping for a good scholarship at the school I do go to. The colleges I'm considering are all in the west so do I even need to take the SAT? Oh, and why did your friend get rejected? GPA, extracurricular, bad score on the SAT ???

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: fizmeister

I'm not planning to go to an Ivy League school or anything, but I am hoping for a good scholarship at the school I do go to. The colleges I'm considering are all in the west so do I even need to take the SAT? Oh, and why did your friend get rejected? GPA, extracurricular, bad score on the SAT ???

It's because they're Princeton, Harvard, and Stanford. You can have a 1600, 4.0, and billions of extracurriculars, and not get accepted. You'd have to devote your life to that.

What school are you looking at?

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by: DeafeningSilence
Congrats.

Anything 31 and above is top 1%. I got a 35, and was one question away from a 36. But I felt as you do, that I got lucky on some parts. It's possible that 1 or two points higher would help you get scholarship $$$, but if you happened to not do quite as well, it would tarnish your record a bit. I decided against re-testing, and have no regrets.

I'd just be happy with my 34 if I were you. :)

How do you know that you're "one question away from a 36?" Do they tell you what you missed?

FrancesBeansRevenge

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2001
I got a 28 on my ACT.

I dropped out of high school early in 10th grade and had NEVER taken a real algebra class before then (it was too hard for me).
As a result I am horribly math stupid and I scored a 17 on the math section. But I had 30+ in English and Reading.

I think I must have burnt out the math capable part of my brain with massive amounts of chemicals..... mmmmm chemicals.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: McPhreak
Originally posted by: DeafeningSilence
Congrats.

Anything 31 and above is top 1%. I got a 35, and was one question away from a 36. But I felt as you do, that I got lucky on some parts. It's possible that 1 or two points higher would help you get scholarship $$$, but if you happened to not do quite as well, it would tarnish your record a bit. I decided against re-testing, and have no regrets.

I'd just be happy with my 34 if I were you. :)

How do you know that you're "one question away from a 36?" Do they tell you what you missed?
You can have your answers and booklet sent to you for an extra cost.

EDIT: Actually I think that may have been the PSAT. I tried reregistering and didn't see the option.