ACT tomorrow morning. *update: got my scores back*

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
I'm taking the ACT tomorrow and wondering if anyone has some last-minue tips. I have really only had today for prep, but I took one of the "real" practice tests on ACTive Prep and scored a 33 .. hopefully these are fairly accurate. I would be perfectly happy with that score, but then again, I wouldn't mind a 36 :)

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Yeah I was planning to but I'm used to staying up until 1 or so. Actifed usually puts me to sleep ..

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I went into it late, hungover, and with about 3 hours of sleep. There was a big party I couldn't miss the night before.

My advice would be not to do that. But then again I ended up with a 32 so maybe it worked out.

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
SATs were last week. Good thing I'm .ca and SATs and ACTs aren't needed, but I took them anyways :D

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Funny how Canadians take American tests. You might as well not even be have your own nation :). Then again, as Ant302 has taught me, nations are imaginary.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Is the ACT worth taking (for an American student)? I'm in 10th grade, have already taken my PSAT earlier this year, and will take my SAT the spring of the next, 2003 (and probably the next two years after that as well). My mom thinks I need to take the ACT also, but I don't know if she's right or not. ;)

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jliechty
Is the ACT worth taking (for an American student)?

I think it all depends on what schools you're going to apply for.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Good luck!!

I took both and I think the ACT is a much better test than the SAT. Of course I did better on the ACT, but that is not why.

cjsh

Jan 29, 2001
Originally posted by: flavio
Originally posted by: jliechty
Is the ACT worth taking (for an American student)?

I think it all depends on what schools you're going to apply for.

For Brown and Yale, you don't need SAT II if you take ACT. Otherwise, you need 3 SAT II tests addition to SAT I.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Well I took the test. I think I did really well on the English and math sections but had to rush through the last part of the reading section and my mind was completely shot when I got to the science reasoning section .. I had to read a question about 3 times for it to actually make sense. I did end up finishing though (barely). I think it was a bit harder than the practice exam so probably get a 33 or below (hopefully not too far below). We shall see .. it's good to have it out of the way anyway.

The reason I took the ACT is because I am planning on going to a school in the west. They tend to look at the ACT more than the SAT, correct?

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Deslocke
Well I took the test. I think I did really well on the English and math sections but had to rush through the last part of the reading section and my mind was completely shot when I got to the science reasoning section .. I had to read a question about 3 times for it to actually make sense. I did end up finishing though (barely). I think it was a bit harder than the practice exam so probably get a 33 or below (hopefully not too far below). We shall see .. it's good to have it out of the way anyway.
I finally got my scores today and actually did worse on the English and math then the reading and science. Well anyway, here's my score:

Composite: 34
English: 33
Math: 33
Reading: 36
Science: 34

I am wondering if I should try again because I know I can do better on the math and possibly the English. But then again I think I got lucky on reading and science. If I did manage to get a 35, would it make any difference for getting into colleges, getting scholarships, etc. And if I got a lower score would they just take the highest?

DeafeningSilence

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2002
Congrats.

Anything 31 and above is top 1%. I got a 35, and was one question away from a 36. But I felt as you do, that I got lucky on some parts. It's possible that 1 or two points higher would help you get scholarship $$$, but if you happened to not do quite as well, it would tarnish your record a bit. I decided against re-testing, and have no regrets.

I'd just be happy with my 34 if I were you. :)

Darein

Platinum Member
Nov 14, 2000
I did much better on the ACT, I wouldn't sweat it, especially if you have taken trig.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: DeafeningSilence
Congrats.

Anything 31 and above is top 1%. I got a 35, and was one question away from a 36. But I felt as you do, that I got lucky on some parts. It's possible that 1 or two points higher would help you get scholarship $$$, but if you happened to not do quite as well, it would tarnish your record a bit. I decided against re-testing, and have no regrets.

I'd just be happy with my 34 if I were you. :)
I probably will stick with my score. At least I beat the family record by 2 points ;)

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Darein
I did much better on the ACT, I wouldn't sweat it, especially if you have taken trig.
You did much better on the ACT than on the SAT .. or than me .. ??? I am in trig now but I think geometry was my low area anyway.

DeafeningSilence

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2002
You did much better on the ACT than on the SAT .. or than me .. ??? I am in trig now but I think geometry was my low area anyway.

I'm pretty sure he was replying to an earlier part of the thread, and had no idea that you updated it with your scores. :)

edjam

Golden Member
May 3, 2001
I'm from the UK and don't really understand how these exams work, but it sounds like you've done well congratulations:)

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
I got a 32... of course, I took both my SAT's and ACT's after working five or six hours the night before, and going off of four hours of sleep or so.

Darein

Platinum Member
Nov 14, 2000

I did better on the ACT than the SAT, my own scores. Your scores all beat mine. I got a 31 or 30 when I took it a few years ago.

Edit: Yeah, I don't look at dates in threads, and read some really fast. Sorry about that, I don't want to seem like a jerk or anything.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I got a 28 on my ACT... :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I didn't get much sleep the night before, was extremely tired, about to fall asleep, etc. I really need to take it again.

Andrew

Originally posted by: shrinertech
I got a 28 on my ACT... :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I didn't get much sleep the night before, was extremely tired, about to fall asleep, etc. I really need to take it again.

Andrew

whats wrong with a 28? What college you want to get into?

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
I finally got my scores today and actually did worse on the English and math then the reading and science. Well anyway, here's my score:

Composite: 34
English: 33
Math: 33
Reading: 36
Science: 34

I am wondering if I should try again because I know I can do better on the math and possibly the English. But then again I think I got lucky on reading and science. If I did manage to get a 35, would it make any difference for getting into colleges, getting scholarships, etc. And if I got a lower score would they just take the highest?

You should try again if it's your first time. I took it twice and got a 29 and a 31. Science Reasoning is really easy, so if you get a 36 on reading and science, you might hit 35, or even 36. Also, colleges would go insane for a 35. Hell, most schools would go insane for a 34, since both scores would be somewhere in the mid-high 1500s on the SAT scale. Assuming you have the GPA and extracurriculars to back it up, you could probably get into a bunch of schools with a bunch of scholarships. And yes, you could just put down your highest score.