ACA increases IN Insurance costs 78%

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Outsourcing has been happening for decades as corporate taxes have gone down. How long will you continue being the corporate apologist? Until all jobs are out sourced and the rich account for 90% of the wealth ownership?

Will there ever be a time when you side with the American worker over big businesses?
So how do you propose we stop outsourcing? By making it more expensive to hire workers here in the USA?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I didn't offer "the Rich" but rather "the most affluent". Families in the $200-250K income range & up are definitely the most affluent. American families at the Median, ~$50K, often consider such people to be "Rich", even if I don't.

How hard will you be getting screwed by what you just claimed, anyway? put it in numbers.

So only the most affluent get sick. Thanks for that. It seems that in reality many people who are neither rich or affluent are going to get pay more and/or get less under this "affordable" system.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
So how do you propose we stop outsourcing? By making it more expensive to hire workers here in the USA?

Weren't you one of the people who was saying high CEO pay was to attract the best talent? Why not invest in new technologies and our own people to make them worth that higher pay?

America has the opportunity to be at the forefront of alternative energy and should be creating an infrastructure to support that movement. You can't outsource infrastructure jobs;)

If companies want to leave the market instead of paying our workers more then the cost of doing business in the US should be higher to allow those who stay and pay better wages to be able to compete. Hell! China does that! If you want access to china then you have to play by their rules, why are we not doing something similar? I couldnt care less where a company was created. If china has a company that wants to do business in the US and they are willing to play by our rules I'm all for it. American corporations can kiss my ass. If there is a demand for something someone will fill the gap. High wages don't kill companies, stupid management does.

Your opinion is that by not allowing companies to make the most profit they can that they will leave and they might but someone is always willing to step up to the plate and fill a gap.

Last edited:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Weren't you one of the people who was saying high CEO pay was to attract the best talent? Why not invest in new technologies and our own people to make them worth that higher pay?

America has the opportunity to be at the forefront of alternative energy and should be creating an infrastructure to support that movement. You can't outsource infrastructure jobs;)

If companies want to leave the market instead of paying our workers more then the cost of doing business in the US should be higher to allow those who stay and pay better wages to be able to compete. Hell! China does that! If you want access to china then you have to play by their rules, why are we not doing something similar? I couldnt care less where a company was created. If china has a company that wants to do business in the US and they are willing to play by our rules I'm all for it. American corporations can kiss my ass. If there is a demand for something someone will fill the gap. High wages don't kill companies, stupid management does.

Your opinion is that by not allowing companies to make the most profit they can that they will leave and they might but someone is always will to step up to the plate.

Just total fail. Now you know how a company should invest it's money better than they do? China is destroying us on alternative energies and I do not understand how making the cost of doing business in the US higher is going to make us better able to compete.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Ok so you're admitting that raising cost on labor here won't do a damn thing to help stop outsourcing? Will it cause more outsourcing? Or less?

How the fuck is this a strawman? Does your proposed ideas increase labor costs or decrease them? If they increase them how will this help fight against outsourcing?

Heh. Still avoiding the question, I see.

Let's put it the other way- do you claim that depressing the price of labor in this country can make American workers competitive with Chinese labor? That doing so wouldn't destroy the economy?

It's impossible for American workers to support our financial elite on Chinese wages & benefits. It's also impossible for American capitalists to fulfill their side of the bargain while claiming that we need to do so, to be "competitive". It's the doublespeak of having it both ways, something that's been happening for decades. We've reached the end of the extension of credit being able to sustain that deception, and it shows.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Heh. Still avoiding the question, I see.

Let's put it the other way- do you claim that depressing the price of labor in this country can make American workers competitive with Chinese labor? That doing so wouldn't destroy the economy?
The market should take care of the price of labor. You're ideas inflate the cost of labor. I'm not talking about deflating the cost to compete with chinese workers. There are some advantages to not outsourcing but artificially increasing labor cost makes them less attractive which will lead to MORE outsourcing than there otherwise would be.
It's impossible for American workers to support our financial elite on Chinese wages & benefits.
On the flip side, eventually China labor will get more expensive as their workers demand higher wages. Same thing happened here. Manufacturers will find China less attractive in the future.

But this China wages for American workers is a canard. That isn't the situation and it isn't what I'm trying to create. I'm trying to get your filthy liberal hands out of the labor market. I'm pointing out that artificially creating higher labor costs is going to have negative effects on the working man. Those lucky enough to keep a job will benefit but the ones who can't get in will enjoy another ass raping by you progressive pricks. When are you idiots going to realize that price controls don't work? Let the market work for once.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Just total fail. Now you know how a company should invest it's money better than they do? China is destroying us on alternative energies and I do not understand how making the cost of doing business in the US higher is going to make us better able to compete.
That's because you have a brain.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The market should take care of the price of labor. You're ideas inflate the cost of labor. I'm not talking about deflating the cost to compete with chinese workers. There are some advantages to not outsourcing but artificially increasing labor cost makes them less attractive which will lead to MORE outsourcing than there otherwise would be.
On the flip side, eventually China labor will get more expensive as their workers demand higher wages. Same thing happened here. Manufacturers will find China less attractive in the future.

But this China wages for American workers is a canard. That isn't the situation and it isn't what I'm trying to create. I'm trying to get your filthy liberal hands out of the labor market. I'm pointing out that artificially creating higher labor costs is going to have negative effects on the working man. Those lucky enough to keep a job will benefit but the ones who can't get in will enjoy another ass raping by you progressive pricks. When are you idiots going to realize that price controls don't work? Let the market work for once.

Heh. Yeh, the labor market worked great about the time of the Ludlow massacre, huh? Yeh, labor unions, when strong, really hurt the working man. So did SS, the 40 hr work week, workmen's comp, unemployment insurance, safety standards, & non discrimination wrt race, gender & age.

You're just reading from memory now, spouting the Company line, reciting what you believe as if you'd ever actually applied any thought to it at all. Obviously you haven't.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Money & corporations exist at the bidding of the Government of the People, at least in this country. We allow corporations to exist to benefit the people, make no mistake about that. Not just the executives & ownership, but all the people. We protect & nurture them at home & abroad to serve our interests. It is entirely reasonable that we make some demands in return for that, and we have for ~100 years with varying degrees of success. When corporate entities fail to provide, to live up to the promises they make, the deal we have with them, then we need to change the deal so that all Americans receive benefit.

None of the usual Libertopian suspects would like the economic landscape they propose, simply because we'd all end up as bugs on the windshield of deregulated financialized Capitalism.

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.

Which won't even faze your irrational faith in the slightest.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Heh. Yeh, the labor market worked great about the time of the Ludlow massacre, huh? Yeh, labor unions, when strong, really hurt the working man. So did SS, the 40 hr work week, workmen's comp, unemployment insurance, safety standards, & non discrimination wrt race, gender & age.

You're just reading from memory now, spouting the Company line, reciting what you believe as if you'd ever actually applied any thought to it at all. Obviously you haven't.
You still haven't given one shred of an argument how increasing labor costs in this country will keep companies from outsourcing.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
You still haven't given one shred of an argument how increasing labor costs in this country will keep companies from outsourcing.

And he won't be able to. Is his magical world businesses can be regulated out the wazoo, pay everyone $100k/year and still be able to compete againt Chinese mase crap.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Raising taxes at the top doesn't increase labor costs at all. It actually taxes returns on non-American labor, too.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
And he won't be able to. Is his magical world businesses can be regulated out the wazoo, pay everyone $100k/year and still be able to compete againt Chinese mase crap.
Please explain how this circle has 4 corners. Same thing. I don't envy him for having to defend that stupid shit.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

When argument fails, create a strawman, argue against that. Around here, a chorus will come up behind you.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
choices bitch. ever hear of them? if I'm health and want nothing but catastrophic coverage why cant I get that? oh because your sick fatty otherwise couldn't afford insurance. boo hoo.

Because you fall down a flight of stairs and suddenly uncle sam has to pay the bill.

Responsibility, ever heard of it?

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Ok so you're admitting that raising cost on labor here won't do a damn thing to help stop outsourcing? Will it cause more outsourcing? Or less?

How the fuck is this a strawman? Does your proposed ideas increase labor costs or decrease them? If they increase them how will this help fight against outsourcing?

It won't change outsourcing at all. If the job can be outsourced, it will.