Dec 27, 2001
i thought in space, theres no sound?
i still hear banging and noises at 3:20

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000

The boosters never make it into space, if they did they would burn up upon re-entry and not be reusable. Awesome find OP!..

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001

I didn't listen to the audio, but even in deep space there would be "sound" on a recording like this. The reason is because the camera's mic is physically attached to the camera, which is physically attached to the booster, which is rattling and vibrating around.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I didn't listen to the audio, but even in deep space there would be "sound" on a recording like this. The reason is because the camera's mic is physically attached to the camera, which is physically attached to the booster, which is rattling and vibrating around.

I still don't think there would be sound. Sound is produced when the air waves resonate. With no air, there would be no sound. Just because you bang on a piece of metal, it should make no noise with no air to vibrate.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
The boosters never make it into space, if they did they would burn up upon re-entry and not be reusable. Awesome find OP!..

I'm not sure about this but I think the SRBs do make it most of the way into space. What they do not do is achieve orbital velocity which is why they fall back down. If you look at a plot of a shuttle's trajectory during launch it shoots upward initially then goes almost horizontal later on in order to build up speed.

Edit: SRB separation takes place around 150,000 feet and the boosters keep going to around 220,000 feet before they fall back down.

Last edited:

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
I still don't think there would be sound. Sound is produced when the air waves resonate. With no air, there would be no sound. Just because you bang on a piece of metal, it should make no noise with no air to vibrate.

Think about how a microphone works. You shake the diaphragm on the mic and it detects that as sound, even if there's no air.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

Sound needs a medium to travel through. That medium doesn't have to be air. It can travel through the metal.

Easy example to demonstrate this is true: is there sound under water? (Yes)

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
at 28 miles high where the boosters are jettisoned... you still are not in space.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I'm not sure about this but I think the SRBs do make it most of the way into space. What they do not do is achieve orbital velocity which is why they fall back down. If you look at a plot of a shuttle's trajectory during launch it shoots upward initially then goes almost horizontal later on in order to build up speed.

Edit: SRB separation takes place around 150,000 feet and the boosters keep going to around 220,000 feet before they fall back down.

You can see SRB's separate during launch, occasional a night launch would take a northern trajectory close to us (Daytona), it was cool as hell to see the SRB's still glowing and tumbling long after separation.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010

D:

D:

D:

D:

:thumbsdown:

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
That's as close to space as America will ever get again too. :(

Yeah, a sad reminder of when our country used to do great things. Watching documentaries about the Apollo program always sends me into a spiral of depression.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
Those videos are always cool.

As for the sound, I think he was saying that the metal is vibrating and since the mic is attached to it your hear the sound through the metal( has nothing to do with air vibrating or not. ) And yes you won't hear sound in space as there is no air to vibrate.