Aborted babies incinerated to heat UK hospitals

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I advocate they be treated the way normal dead humans are treated.

...you guys are seriously going to defend this practice?

Yep, totally. It's no different from cremation, except it is more energy efficient.

As I said before, my only problem with it is if parents aren't been given the choice regarding what happens to the body.

Extreme? Using human remains for heating a building is pretty damned extreme.

But you're fine with the remains of other life forms being used?

What world do you live in where you are blind to genocide?

How can society condemn throwing a dead jew in an incinerator, but an aborted child is ok?

Aaand you've just invoked Godwin's Law. Skip the hyperbole, and while you're at it, stick to the topic. AFAIK the OP wasn't expressing any issue with regard to abortion.

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
It was not murder to exterminate 7+ million jews either. It was perfectly legal.

Or did you sleep through history class?

These murdered children who are being incinerated fit the definition of genocide.

We have a defenseless class of people who are being legally murdered and then incinerated. If that is not genocide, then what is?
Let's see if I understand this: Texashiker thinks the Holocaust was perfectly fine but thinks abortion is wrong and doesn't understand the difference between abortion and genocide.

correct?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Fixed. Results would be different for, say, a fetus only developed to halfway through the second trimester.

I agree but I couldn't find any input data. Likely the water content would be higher and the fat content would be lower for a second trimester fetus. Overall, it would be like trying to heat your house by burning a Big Mac and a coke.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
The callousness with which some treat a child is amazing to me. Have we sunk so low morally that our instinct to protect a child is gone? Replaced instead with a discussion over the convenience and efficacy over heating using the remains of a child?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I agree but I couldn't find any input data. Likely the water content would be higher and the fat content would be lower for a second trimester fetus. Overall, it would be like trying to heat your house by burning a Big Mac and a coke.
That is my backup fuel when a cord of dead babies goes above $200

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
It was not murder to exterminate 7+ million jews either. It was perfectly legal.

These aborted fetuses that are being incinerated do not fit the definition of genocide.

We have an abundance of aborted fetuses that are being legally incinerated. Since that is not genocide, then I'm not sure why I posted this.

FTFY

You can call me crazy, but facts are facts.

Just as the nazis justified the slaughter of millions of jews, so we justify the slaughter of millions of unborn children.

Civilized societies should protect the civil rights of all citizens, and not just a select few.

A fetus is not a citizen. Citizens are born.

Last edited:

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Well, there are several issues.

The first is that we're killing babies.

The second is that we're killing babies then using them as fuel.

The third is that liberals in this thread see no problem with it so far.

The fourth is that parents had no knowledge of the horrific method of disposal of a child they elected to destroy.

Well you did get one statement correct. Care to try again?

Feb 6, 2007

Did your history class get up to the spring of 1945 and then abruptly end? Thousands of Nazis were tried for war crimes and hundreds were executed for their role in the holocaust. The difference between genocide and abortion is that abortion is actually legal and has been defended as such at the highest levels of Western government whereas genocide has expressly been a war crime since the Geneva convention.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Let's see if I understand this: Texashiker thinks the Holocaust was perfectly fine but thinks abortion is wrong and doesn't understand the difference between abortion and genocide.

correct?

Wrong.

The difference between genocide and abortion is that abortion is actually legal and has been defended as such at the highest levels of Western government whereas genocide has expressly been a war crime since the Geneva convention.

You do know that slavery and forced sterilization was also upheld by the supreme court,,, right?

Just because something is legal/illegal does not make it right or wrong.

Just as murdering millions of jews, gypsies and other unwanted people by the nazis was wrong, so is abortion.

You justify your bigotry behind the shield of legality.

Feb 6, 2007
Just because something is legal/illegal does not make it right or wrong.

Just as murdering millions of jews, gypsies and other unwanted people by the nazis was wrong, so is abortion.

You justify your bigotry behind the shield of legality.

I'm sorry, what brand of "bigotry" is being in favor of legalized abortion? Am I "fetalphobic?"

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
They're not using the bodies for fuel. At best they're recapturing the otherwise wasted heat they'd be generating anyway from running an incinerator. From the hospital's perspective it's all medical waste. But even if they treat the fetuses as little humans, would you complain about a crematorium recapturing the heat they're already generating?

This.

It's a modest attempt to recover energy spent incinerating medical waste. There is no possible way the whole system is a energy positive system, the recovery just reduces how much energy is wasted.

Atreus, you may find the below story of a crematory heat recovery horrifying.

http://www.psmag.com/environment/new-life-for-crematories-waste-heat-31501/

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I favor cremation over wasting space in the ground.

Same here. It's unpleasant, sure- especially to people who everything has to be dumbed down for. "These aren't dead babies, they're just.... pixie dust!"

The whole process of abortion is unpleasant if really looked at for what it is, and talked about in stark realistic terms. Yeah, we're sucking babies out of women, killing them and tossing dead babies and dead baby parts into incinerators and trash heaps and whatever else you do with thousands of dead babies. So? Did anyone think something else because some dumbed-down 'feel good' terms were applied to the process, rather than just spelling it out?

So if you're going to be doing all that anyway (which we are, and I'm not even arguing against it since I don't really care about the abortion issue really- it's other people's choices, not mine) then really, what's the big deal over what way the dead bodies are disposed of afterwards? Why not just be brutally efficient and use that discarded material for energy, heat, or whatever else, rather than just wasting it?

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Hysterical denunciation on a mistaken premise. Does anyone else remember the early S N L skit (news opinion diatribe) about "violins in the street?"

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I'm sorry, what brand of "bigotry" is being in favor of legalized abortion? Am I "fetalphobic?"

The same kind of bigotry that allowed:

Millions of jews to be murdered,
millions of blacks to be kept as slaves,
tens of thousands of people to be sterilized by force,
and tens of thousands of Japanese-Americans to be held against their will.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
What happens the unborn is irrelevant, they are gone, medical waste and seems like a solid method of disposal to me.
What happened to the Jews was murder and then the cremations were to try and conceal the crimes they had committed from the world.
No Crime currently has been committed here and the hospitals seem to be following a reasonable waste protocol.

If you want to be Pro-Life about all this that's a different topic

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
There was no crime when a slave owner would beat his slaves to death.

Hiding behind the law is no excuse for crimes against humanity.

1st brain activity occurs at 8 weeks. Pior to this point, the mass of cells being terminated is completely INCAPABLE of suffering or pain. Each fetus not aborted will endure a lifetime of pain and suffering with the full knowledge of the gaping maw of nothingness swiftly approaching. They will then die a long painful death under extreme fear and duress. Some would say that LIFE itself is a crime against humanity, and that the aborted fetuses have been granted a dispensation of sorts.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
That was the currently part, its your opinion its a crime against humanity not a legal one.
I do understand why people are passionate about the unborn but as a women's rights issue I'll defer to their opinion

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Mad cuz they burned the little mush puddles? Please. Don't mess with God's plan. Its working great.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
An aborted fetus is considered medical waste in the US and many states require that the medical waste be incinerated. Waste to energy plants are required by the EPA to maintain a furnace temperature above a certain temperature to ensure no toxins are released to the atmosphere. Based on this requirement any medical waste brought to a waste to energy plant will be incinerated in accordance with the law.

Yep and the headline of the OP is very misleading. Makes it sound like fully formed babies are being thrown in a trash pile for burning. That is not the case. Most of it looks like placenta and tissue and blood. It isn't recognizable as babies.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Yep and the headline of the OP is very misleading. Makes it sound like fully formed babies are being thrown in a trash pile for burning. That is not the case. Most of it looks like placenta and tissue and blood. It isn't recognizable as babies.

Stop trying to bring logic into this, the OP and TH won't stand for it. ;)