***ABIT BE7 i845pe***

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
hehe, so does that mean if MSI put out a rockin board, you wouldn't buy it? :p:D
I would, but it would be a first for them. They consistently fall short in performance/stability/overclocking features. I see on the new MSI GB board they STILL don't have a PCI/AGP lock!

Mikki

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2002
One of my buddies just bought one against my recommendation, jeez is he having problems....;):)

jpetermann

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
Originally posted by: THUGSROOK
the problem is that we never know if a board really is good til one of us gets one :(
i mean who would be concidering this board if not for this thread?

Totally correct Thugs. I woul have never even considered and Abit until this. Not that I "don't" like them, just never had them. I am not stuck on any brand, but I have generally stuck with Asus and Gigglybyte.

PJ

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
who would be concidering this board if not for this thread?
Me! (If I were looking for a PE board). Asus, Abit and Epox are the "usual suspects" for a new board. I'll be honest. I like to let the other guys be the guinea pigs :). Once the dust settles, then I pick one. Some of the things I watch for beside the obvious overclockability features are the little gotchas. Things like cold boot problems (Gigabyte and Abit have had this issue), USB problems when overclocking (Asus), memory slot compatibility issues (all 845G boards). Basically, any oddities that are side effects of overclocking. From what I have seen, all the PE boards look pretty decent so far (except MSI) ;).

Mikki

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: THUGSROOK
the problem is that we never know if a board really is good til one of us gets one :(
i mean who would be concidering this board if not for this thread?

Who would consider this board? well, YOU for one!! :D Someone's gotta be the guinea pig, and frankly, I had no interest (well, okay, mild interest) in this chipset/board until now. So if it wasn't for you, I'd be waiting for GB...;)

jpetermann

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
Ok Thugs,

Newegg won. I even got a nifty Abit/Newegg T-shirt with my order. So, pm me your settings when you are finished. I want to see if I can match them! :D
I hope my 2.4b c1 will get to 3.0! If not, at least I will be rid of the Asus overvolt!

Looks like my Thanksgiving day is planned! Put new motherboard in on THursday, hit the Black Friday deals on Friday. What a week!

PJ

THUGSROOK

Elite Member
Feb 3, 2001
neato ~ thats 2 ppl already getting this board.
would be really nice to see them like it as much as i do :)

memtest86
160fsb 3:4 c2522 is the best it can do

ill see how much further it can go using lamer cas settings just out of curiosity. (i already know that 166 is a no-boot so im not gonna make it that far)

Exec

Oct 8, 2002
Got the board today. Did yours lack the CCMOS jumper btw.? Aren't there supposed to be jumpers 3 with the board?

SupermanCK

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2000
LOL...beware of the THUGSROOK effect...
first is was the P4B266-C...
then the P4B533
and now the ABIT Be7...
lol

jpetermann

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
IF HE BUILDS IT... WE WILL BUY IT....

PJ

;):D

Mikki

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2002
SCK, I'm sure there were alot more before the -C!

pastorjay, actually, it's IF HE BUY'S IT, WE WILL BUY IT....hehe ;)

Sharpedge

Jun 19, 2000
I just want to say thank you for the thread and taking the time to post the various tests you are performing. Almost anticipating the question I but only have to read and find the solution.

Thanks very much

Highly considering this board over the Asus.

mikeg

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Ok I got one of the boards. No raid version. It runs fine. I can OC just as good with it as the Asus, Epox & Gigabyte. One thing thats bugs me is the CPU voltage it only gives you 3 choices to set it to other than the default. Other than that I would recommend this board. Just my 2 cents
Mike

Bobbyeyes

Jun 3, 2002
check out this read here
about the release of Abits d-ddr

if true, this may also explain why the TYAN version of the board was in the >comming soon section< on the TYAN site, and now it is not there....hmm

jpetermann

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
I had also heard rumors about Asus not producing it, but we all now know that they are. Hopefully Abit will follow suit. Maybe Evan will be able to tell us.

PJ

Originally posted by: Bobbyeyes
check out this read here
about the release of Abits d-ddr

if true, this may also explain why the TYAN version of the board was in the >comming soon section< on the TYAN site, and now it is not there....hmm

THUGSROOK

Elite Member
Feb 3, 2001
beware of the THUGSROOK effect...
hehe you guys are too funny :D

Exec ~ yes you are missing a jumper cap (it only needs the cap to clear to bios tho ~ the 3rd "pin" is just a "holder")

SuperCK ~ my 1st Anandtech forum review was the P4S333 in FEB 02. thats when i met Duvie and when we started posting the "serious" information like the P4S533 bios hack.

mikeg ~ the voltage options didnt bother me. i am actually happier with the less options. most of us are just gonna set it on +15% and forget about it anyways ;)

BobbyEyes ~ thx for the linkage :)

...and a big "YOU'RE VERY WELCOME" to everyone that appreciates this thread :D

THUGSROOK

Elite Member
Feb 3, 2001
lol ~ anyone notice how we all "temporarily" abandoned the CPU/OC forum :Q ;)

(sorry!)

REQUEST
if anybody has found any info on modded bios files for the BE7 please post a linky! -thx :)

StarsCupChmps99

Nov 7, 2002
I know that there have been a lot of "cold boot" issues with Abit boards of late. Have you experienced any of these problems or have you shut off the computer long enough for it to get cold yet? I was also thinking about one of these boards or possibly the P4PE. Have you tried to run it with two dimms populated yet?

THUGSROOK

Elite Member
Feb 3, 2001
the only boot problem i get is at 166fsb ~ and concidering thats where my cpu maxes out i cant comment on if its a boot problem or not.

my system gets turned off once a day ~ it boots np.

this board is very "tight" tho.
like i said earlier ~ if it boots at X fsb it will be close to 100% stable at X fsb.
those ppl may be confusing their no boot problem with instability ;)

cold boot test
1) run P95 for 15mins
2) quickly shut down all programs and reboot
3) did it boot up?

if it did ~ repeat the test, but this time shut down the puter and boot it back up w/in 10secs

:)

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Very informative thread, looks like Thugs is having a good time!
All I can say is WOW.
;)
Looks like Abit's got a solid board here, if Christmas wasn't so soon I think I'd be buying my first ABIT intel platform based mobo.