Abit AX8 Motherboard, Its nice.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tvdang7

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2005
every one uses a 3000 or 3200............anyone tried a 3700?........san deigo or clawhammer?......if so what yall o/c that to?...that what im getting ...it will work right?.....please respond guys ima buy within the day .............and im hearing alot about 24 pins stuff...i have a x-connect psu 500watts .....20 pin will it work good?......crash?,.....burn?...

Edysmf

Jun 24, 2005
i dismounted the cooler,cleared all paste ,put another high termal one ,mounted again the cooler and steel 55-60C CPU temerature,nothing changed:(
i think this mainboard is destined for lower CPUs than 3500+ if the temperature is so high with the recommended cooler by AMD )With same CPU and cooler on an ECS Mainboard the temperature in not higher than 40-45C so that means that I have to upgrade my MB or downgrade the CPU :S seems the first option is better because i want to advance no to go back to lower CPU.
By the way those options in uGuru in BIOS still don't wants to change...is that a bug of bios anyway?
Anybody with some problems resoved them in a way or other?
With an artic cooling cooler tcl 64 is the temperature lower? Can I change that damn settings in uGuru bios at CPU temperature monitorin to make beep warning at 60C and shut down at 65C to prevent CPU damage?

Holy Smoke

Apr 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Edysmf
i dismounted the cooler,cleared all paste ,put another high termal one ,mounted again the cooler and steel 55-60C CPU temerature,nothing changed:(
i think this mainboard is destined for lower CPUs than 3500+ if the temperature is so high with the recommended cooler by AMD )With same CPU and cooler on an ECS Mainboard the temperature in not higher than 40-45C so that means that I have to upgrade my MB or downgrade the CPU :S seems the first option is better because i want to advance no to go back to lower CPU.
A cpu doesn't run warmer or cooler on different motherboards. The motherboards just report different temperatures.

furballi

Banned
Apr 6, 2005
20 pin will work. Just make sure you connect the 4 pin CPU plug and molex connector at the bottom of the motherboard.

Need to update the BIOS and reset CMOS. This may help with the temp. Both of the AX8 systems that I've built did not exhibit the high temp problem. You can check the CPU temp first thing in the morning IMMEDIATELY after a cold boot. It should NOT exceed room temp by 6C, assuming you're not overclocking the CPU.

Edysmf

Jun 24, 2005
Is summer in the room with this PC are about 22-23C I don't thik I must have a colder room for my PC becuse maybe I will be ill soon myself:),I had previous PC sistems and they worked fine in this room,I dont think that is the problem is not to hot even.Maybe is the stock processor to low for it,can this be the cause? is someone tested SILENCER TCL ultra 64 from arctic cooling with this motherboard ?Can someone tell how many degrees is the temperature lower with this kind of cooler compared with stock coller?If this cooler can low my temperature with 10-15 C it will be mine soon...if not tell me what cooler can but one little and powerfuul because I want to use the cooled processor and first dimm slot in the same time
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=52&disc=

furballi

Banned
Apr 6, 2005
You have NOT reflashed to the latest BIOS and reset the BIOS to default. Also, you have not posted the CPU temp IMMEDIATELY after a cold AM boot. Therefore, I have no more solution.

The stock cooler is good enough for your CPU if properly installed. If opening the case will allow the CPU temp to drop by more than 3C, then you also have a case ventilation issue.

tvdang7

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2005
i heard on a thread that via chipsets dont work well with ati cards is that tru?...i was planning on getting an x800 xl for this mobo any other have problems with it?

TheRealThing

Jun 28, 2005
Hi everyone...I'm new here.

Nice to find a quality thread about the ax8.

Can you help

I have the latest Bios for the ax8 and have cleared my CMOS.
Have raised the FSB to 250 with no problems, but cpu-z, and Everest report only the standard core speed of 2247MHZ. Is this because they don't yet support this board correctly or am I doing something wrong?
Post screen only shows 2244MHz
Bios shows 2750MHz (what I would expect from a FSB of 250)
I have not run Uguru since clearing the CMOS as some of you think it can cause problems, but previously this has shown the core speed I would expect.
Can any of you help???

furballi

Banned
Apr 6, 2005
I would reflash the BIOS (1.1) and reset CMOS. Reboot PC and confirm that your BIOS is showing 2200 MHz (at 11x multiplier). Recheck with CPUz. Now go back to BIOS and bump FSB to 220MHz. Confirm the new speed with BIOS and CPUz.

I've seen similar problem when I use uGURU. Clearing CMOS does not fix the problem. You have to reflash the BIOS. ALWAYS overclock from the BIOS.

TheRealThing

Jun 28, 2005
Thanks for the quick reply.
I am going to uninstall the uguru software, and then re-flash the bios. I can then be sure that it's not getting in the way.
Going to do it now....watch this space

TheRealThing

Jun 28, 2005
Ok, I have removed uguru clock
I have re-flashed the bios 1.1
cleared CMOS
but no matter what I do with the fsb it still show as 204Mhz in post and CPU-Z (ver 1.29)

furballi

Banned
Apr 6, 2005
Did you hit F10 to save the setting to CMOS? Remove CPUz and download CPUz again from the web. My version is 1.28.6. You should expect to see 204MHz at the default setting. Bump up the FSB to 210MHz and recheck CPUz.

Did you enabled Cool n Quiet in the BIOS and under Power setting of DISPLAY PROPERTIES?

Right click on My Computer\Properties. What do you see for the speed of the CPU?

tvdang7

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2005
ok guys...im building with a AX8 a 3700 newcastle (yes i know ther is no such thing but i have one im not lying LINK to my cpu) a x-connect 500 watts psu a hitachi 160 sata HD and 2 X256 of ballstix ram...and last but not least a x800 xl....i hope it goes smoothly....but im seeing alot of SATA problems...and this being my first build...im nervous....i might need yalls help and advice... thanks for reading

TheRealThing

Jun 28, 2005
OK

Yes, I did save the settings, I whish it was so simple. When I go into the bios screen everything shows correctly, but not on post, or in CPUz (which I have re-downloaded).

I have set my external clock to 200 (not 204 the default) and multiplier x 11

I did not have Cool n Quiet enabled, but when I did enable it, it did not make any difference. I would expect CPUz to show a multiplier of 5, it still showed 11 and a external clock of 204!!

I then dropped the multiplier to 10, external clock still 200, and when I re-tested with CPU-z Cool n Quiet had done its stuff as it reported a multiplier of 5, but the external clock still reports 204. Re-setting it back to 11 then forces it back to 11 even with Cool n Quiet enabled.

Right clicking on My Computer\Properties shows 225GHz

The other thing I have noticed is that the post code display shows ff until I run CPUz, as soon as I run it, it changes to 2.1.

Just to give you some extra info the may be relevant, I only have a sys fan connected to the mobo, CPU and others are connected to my fan controller, this is why I normally have Cool n Quiet disabled.

I am going to flash my bios again clear the CMOS with the power supply disconnected, I don't think this will make a difference, as the CMOS cleared OK last time, but I am getting a bit desperate now.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Stop Press

Eureka!

I've got it working.

Flashed the bios from a floppy, rather than using the util. Removed all power connectors, cleared the CMOS with the jumper and hay presto it's all working now.

Thanks for your help, I can now start overclocking. Running at 2477Mhz at the moment, so I expect to start getting problems as I push it higher. This is the first time I have attempted an overclock by going further than just increasing the fsb, wish me luck.

Any hints or tips on oc'ing this 3500 winnie would be greatly appreciated.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

furballi

Banned
Apr 6, 2005
I thought you were using the floppy instead of the uGURU software to flash the BIOS. Again, avoid the use of the uGURU software.

TheRealThing

Jun 28, 2005
Yes sorry, I only uninstalled the uguru clock doh! I have uninstalled it all now, it will never darken my door again.
Thanks for your help furballi it is much appreciated, I Have been building my own systems for years but never tried a serious overclock, I will try not to be so much of a noob in future.

A few more questions if you don't mind
What utils do you use for temps, voltage etc.
I have never used Cool n Quiet before. My multiplier is set to 11 and Cool n Quiet is enabled. Should I see the multiplier reduced in CPUz and then step up as the system comes under load?
What does the setting "system Bios Cacheable" do?

furballi

Banned
Apr 6, 2005
system Bios Cacheable
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/set/advchSystem-c.html

You can install the uGURU utility and go to MSCONFIG to uncheck the uGURU clock from the STARTUP list. Use the ABIT EQ ONLY to monitor temp, voltage, and fan rpm. Do not mess around with the other stuffs like OC GURU, BLACKBOX, and FLASHMENU.

Cool n Quiet will automatically drop your multiplier from 11x to 5x or 4x when the CPU load is not running at 100%. Simply enable this feature in BIOS, boot into Windows, right click an empty area on desktop, select PROPERTIES\SCREEN SAVER\POWER, and MINIMAL POWER MANAGEMENT under POWER SCHEMES. Hit APPLY\OK.

The CPU voltage will also drop at the lowered multiplier setting. I like CnQ because it allows my CPU to run much cooler, most of the time. You should see the Core Speed and Multiplier in CPUz change as you place a heavy load (Super Pi or Prime95 max heat mode) on the system.

furballi

Banned
Apr 6, 2005
Post back and let us know how far you can overclock this CPU.

Don't forget to connect the power plug to the molex connector at the base of the motherboard. I had a shutdown issue, but that was resolved with the via 4 in 1 driver.

TheRealThing

Jun 28, 2005
OK will do, not sure if I know exactly what what I should do when It becomes unstable, but I will have a look around the forums to see what methods other people have employed

furballi

Banned
Apr 6, 2005
Your original 250MHz FSB is a good place to start. Use 4x LDT. Set RAM at DDR333 if your Corsair cannot run DDR400 at 250MHz. You may want to bump CPU Vcore from 1.400V to 1.425 or 1.450.

I like to keep the CPU Vcore between 1.475 and 1.500V. RAM speed at DDR333. Then gradually increase the FSB by 1MHz increment and test for stability with Prime95 (10 min at max heat setting). When the system fails Prime95, backoff by 3MHz FSB and retest with Prime95. You may need to lower the LDT to 3x if you're running above 260MHz FSB speed.

Pay attention to the CPU temp when you're running Prime95. It should remain below 55C at normal room temp. You can use the ABIT EQ to monitor the CPU temp.

TheRealThing

Jun 28, 2005
4xLDT is that the multiplier?

The best I can manage at the moment is 231 x 11 = 2544MHz (1.475 Core voltage) a 16% increase. definitely a boost, but was hoping for a little more. I have heard that the 3500 winnie is maxed out at about 2500.
If I drop the multiplier to 10 It seems to stick at x5! And does not step up when loaded with Prime95???
I tried the Ram at DDR333 but this makes no difference, anyway the Ram should be good for 275MHz
Temps Ok, just getting to 50C in Prime95

Time for bed, will continue tomorrow.