ABC finds "Wiretap Secrets: "Saddam declared the war was over because President Bush had ordered a cease-fire"

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
"Even I admit" the Iraq War has gone "unbelievably" well (for almost everyone) . . . but it's not hard for me to make that "admission" since it has been my long-declared "hope".

However, it's interesting to look at the possible reasons why. ;)

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeriko
Um... Ya'll do realize that the communique to his security forces was probably just a face-saving measure on Saddam's part to excuse his high-tailing out of town, right? You all are taking it WAY too seriously.

As for deals with Republican Guard commanders, Rumsfeld and others had said for weeks that there were negotiations ongoing with people of importance in the Iraqi military. Not exactly news if you bother listening to the press conferences.

-J
This is what I tend to think. Given that the military command faded away as well as the government officials and media handlers, I think that news got out in one way or another, and they all bailed on a collapsed regime. Whether the deal struck with the Baghdad Republican Guard commander included a deal for Saddam's safe passage or not, makes no difference to me. The US was pushing for deals prior to the start of the war so what matter is it when they ocurred.

The bottom line is the arrival to a quick conclusion to the war with the outcome being the removal of Saddam from power.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
I know Baghdad fell easy from your perspective, but you were not part of the republican guard who was subjected to 7 days of intense air atrikes.

Don't forget the last strike at Saddam, Baghdad streets were free of policemen and soldiers the next day, maybe the orders stopped coming. The US forces didn't look like they felt there was a cease fire ordered.

I think the ones left just went home, we found tons of deserted positions, clothing, weapons. Don't forget the Fedayeen running bown the bank of the river trying to strip out of their black jammies.

The whole country save Nasiriya and Basra fell pretty quickly, most of the towns the citizens welcomed our forces.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Alistar7
I know Baghdad fell easy from your perspective, but you were not part of the republican guard who was subjected to 7 days of intense air atrikes.

Don't forget the last strike at Saddam, Baghdad streets were free of policemen and soldiers the next day, maybe the orders stopped coming. The US forces didn't look like they felt there was a cease fire ordered.

I think the ones left just went home, we found tons of deserted positions, clothing, weapons. Don't forget the Fedayeen running bown the bank of the river trying to strip out of their black jammies.

The whole country save Nasiriya and Basra fell pretty quickly, most of the towns the citizens welcomed our forces.
Actually it fell "easily" from everyone's perspective. Even the US troops seemed surprised.

IF this is true - Bush would never need to "order" a cease fire. The Troops would still find themselves in a position to fire at the Jordanian "volunteers" who never heard the order from Saddam. And if the Secret Police were ordered by Saddam to stop the hostilities, the Troops simply wouldn't find them or "organized" resistance.

Again, this is "conspiricy thinking". Since it is based on "speculation" I really don't give it that much creedence.

HOWEVER, I really DO enjoy playing "devil's advocate" to see some of you guys - that take this WAY too seriously - get all riled up. Unfortunately, I have to go to work and will miss your silly comments for a few hours. :p

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: Alistar7

Actually it fell "easily" from everyone's perspective. Even the US troops seemed surprised.

IF this is true - Bush would never need to "order" a cease fire. The Troops would still find themselves in a position to fire at the Jordanian "volunteers" who never heard the order from Saddam. And if the Secret Police were ordered by Saddam to stop the hostilities, the Troops simply wouldn't find them or "organized" resistance.

Again, this is "conspiricy thinking". Since it is based on "speculation" I really don't give it that much creedence.

HOWEVER, I really DO enjoy playing "devil's advocate" to see some of you guys - that take this WAY too seriously - get all riled up. Unfortunately, I have to go to work and will miss your silly comments for a few hours. :p

Maybe the ease in which they gained control had something to do with the small force on hand to control looting. Don't forget in one entire quarter the night before Baghdad fell armed residents drove out Iraqi paramilitary, they still control yet another. I don't think there was a deal made, I think we did some serious damage in the last attack on Saddam to C&C, the people took care of what remained. We just walked in the next day and never knew it happened. I don't blame US forces for not trying to intervene in initial lootings and celebrations, they did not have sufficient force to control the situation, they also probably did not want to turn citizens feelings around again, had to be a major relief for the forces to not have to fight as was expected in Baghdad.

Who labeled me a conservative? Please don't assume that based on my support for this war. I also think drugs should be legalized and social spending should be increased, how conservative is that?
BTW way I am not a liberal either.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Anyone see any more about this? Has it been reported elsewhere? I agree it's pretty speculative, but it would be a major plot twist if true.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I think this is "it".

ABC informed the US Military of their "find" and no doubt it is being examined by them . . . I seriousl doubt we'd EVER find out if there was a "deal" cut between Bush and Saddam during the war.

Number One - it really isn't that important.

Number Two - it won't ever get "official confirmation" unless it suits those officials.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest . . . ;)

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Bush is a good man to minimize the bloodshed if this is true. I heard Condelisa arranged with Putin, for Saddam and his cohorts to go out on those Russain airliners. Anyway you hear lots of theories, not doubt this should be kept secret because our cowboy wannabe president has an though image to uphold. Nevertheless I admire backdoor deal if it's true.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Carbonyl
Bush is a good man to minimize the bloodshed if this is true. I heard Condelisa arranged with Putin, for Saddam and his cohorts to go out on those Russain airliners. Anyway you hear lots of theories, not doubt this should be kept secret because our cowboy wannabe president has an though image to uphold. Nevertheless I admire backdoor deal if it's true.

I agree. If we cut a deal to save lives - and it didn't compromise American interests - I say kudos to Bush. I don't like the man, but I try to be open-minded enough to recognize when he does something good.