ABC finds "Wiretap Secrets: "Saddam declared the war was over because President Bush had ordered a cease-fire"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: apoppin

Interesting.

So tell me, did the iraqi commander get to sit in the pilots lap or the gunners lap?
Even if we did cut a deal, why is that such a problem, did you want more iraqi dead?
Well since you didn't bother to read my links that I posted, I won't waste further time with a ridiculer. :p

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
Originally posted by: MadRat
There is no cease-fire.
Not that we know of.

;)

However, ONLY the FOREIGN Arab fighters continued to attack the troops . . . in fact they complained that they were deserted by the Iraqi Army and Republican Guard and left to fight ALONE. There was NO defense of Baghdad. :Q

Might want to tell that to marines who were shot at while entering Baghdad.....

That was a weak resistance. Something fishy went on. How can a city like Basra take a few weeks to capture but Baghdad took 1 day? One surprising thing is that all of his palaces were empty of furniture. What happened to it? According to sources, Saddam slept at different palaces every night so there would be no reason for them to be empty of furniture.

Because by the time we got to Baghdad there was little command and control left. Even the most blind commanders could see defeat was unavoidable.

What makes you think that there wouldn't have been a blood bath with snipers shooting from a variety of buildings? Arabs aren't the French. They fight until death.

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001

So tell me, did the iraqi commander get to sit in the pilots lap or the gunners lap?
Even if we did cut a deal, why is that such a problem, did you want more iraqi dead?

Well since you didn't bother to read my links that I posted, I won't waste further time with a ridiculer. :p

He brings up an interesting point. Where did the guy sit?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Interesting.

I read the articles, i even saved the repost bit....
But feel free to answer my questions, but I know you wont.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
There is no cease-fire.
Not that we know of.

;)

However, ONLY the FOREIGN Arab fighters continued to attack the troops . . . in fact they complained that they were deserted by the Iraqi Army and Republican Guard and left to fight ALONE. There was NO defense of Baghdad. :Q

That was a weak resistance. Something fishy went on. How can a city like Basra take a few weeks to capture but Baghdad took 1 day? One surprising thing is that all of his palaces were empty of furniture. What happened to it? According to sources, Saddam slept at different palaces every night so there would be no reason for them to be empty of furniture.

Because by the time we got to Baghdad there was little command and control left. Even the most blind commanders could see defeat was unavoidable.

What makes you think that there wouldn't have been a blood bath with snipers shooting from a variety of buildings? Arabs aren't the French. They fight until death.

Why do we have several thousand pows now?
Why did the iraqi army have very high desertion?
Why did we have ~90,000 pows in gulf war 1?

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Here is another interesting article for the open minded people to read that brings up a lot of excellent points. Link

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Here is another interesting article for the open minded people to read that brings up a lot of excellent points. Link

Interesting spin, but no real facts only conjecture.

But let me ask again. What is the problem if a deal was struck with commanders to hand over Baghdad? Were you wanting a blood bath there?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Interesting.

I read the articles, i even saved the repost bit....
But feel free to answer my questions, but I know you wont.
I simply don't believe that - in the four minutes between the time I posted links to TWO articles and the time YOU replied that you even skimmed them - let alone read them or considered them and formulated a thoughtful reply.

You are a ridiculer. You don't give my posts ANY thought. Why should I bother with your ridiculous views?
(I won't)

:p

rolleye.gif

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001

But let me ask again. What is the problem if a deal was struck with commanders to hand over Baghdad? Were you wanting a blood bath there?

The problem is that Bush alleged that Saddam was a war criminal and now he's letting him go. It sounds very hypocritical to me.

Spyro

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2001

I'm thinking that the point here is that the public should have known that this deal was taking place.

EDIT: In other words this is what I think that the original poster meant.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Hey here's a thought:Q

Maybe Baghdad fell so easily cuz WE BOMBED THE S#!T OUT OF IT!!! Now I'm not saying that we didn't or couldn't have struck a deal or two along the way, infact I hope we did do just that as that would have saved us lives(Iraqi and our Soldiers). But I'm going to act the part of the sceptic just like you guys do in the WMD threads..."until there is independantly verifiable PROOF..." ;)

CkG

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
I simply don't believe that - in the four minutes between the time I posted links to TWO articles and the time YOU replied that you even skimmed them - let alone read them or considered them and formulated a thoughtful reply.

I had read the article before. I also wondered then why an Apache. I still wonder. Any idea?

Spyro

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2001

The problem is that Bush alleged that Saddam was a war criminal and now he's letting him go. It sounds very hypocritical to me.

Is he letting him go? As far as I'm concerned there is no proof of this yet.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Spyro

I'm thining that the point here is that the public should have known that this deal was taking place.

Why? Cripes - you guys and your "We want to know..." whining. You need to get over that fact that our government has a need to keep some things confidential.

CkG

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
There is no cease-fire.
Not that we know of.

;)

Why do we have several thousand pows now?
Why did the iraqi army have very high desertion?
Why did we have ~90,000 pows in gulf war 1?

Yeah, several thousand more died fighting
Many in the Iraqi Army were conscripts forced to fight, or face retribution, not true soldiers
There were an estimated 100,000 Iraqi soldiers killed during the Gulf War and even then many of the "soldiers" were conscripts

Say what you want about the Arabs, even with all our weaponry, they still put up a valiant, if ultimately futile, fight. Forget the French, how many Americans would be willing to strap dinamite to themselves to kill an enemy soldier?

Spyro

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

I'm thining that the point here is that the public should have known that this deal was taking place.

Why? Cripes - you guys and your "We want to know..." whining. You need to get over that fact that our government has a need to keep some things confidential.

CkG

When I said that I was thinking that the point here is I was referring to the original poster, sheesh
rolleye.gif

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Maybe Baghdad fell so easily cuz WE BOMBED THE S#!T OUT OF IT!!! Now I'm not saying that we didn't or couldn't have struck a deal or two along the way, infact I hope we did do just that as that would have saved us lives(Iraqi and our Soldiers). But I'm going to act the part of the sceptic just like you guys do in the WMD threads..."until there is independantly verifiable PROOF..." ;)

CkG

I hope you do remain skeptical and keep your own view.

I am certainly not sure what to believe. But - as I have repeated - it's very interesting.

The Jordanian "freedom fighters" sure think a "deal" was struck at the highest levels. The French are picking up on it.

I'd actually have a better opinion of Bush if he did "strike a deal" with the devil, Saddam to "save" Baghdad and especially our troops. At least, we'd have "assurances" the WMD would be found and the Iraq government changed with minimal bloodshed. ;)

But I fear we shall never know for sure.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

When I said that I was thinking that the point here is I was referring to the original poster, sheesh
rolleye.gif

My point is still valid whether or not you actually agree with what you posted. :)

CkG

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001

CkG

Because it's going to make the US look bad? I don't see how national security would be effected if this information was released.

Spyro

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2001

CkG

I hope you do remain skeptical and keep your own view.

I am certainly not sure what to believe. But - as I have repeated - it's very interesting.

The Jordanian "freedom fighters" sure think a "deal" was struck at the highest levels. The French are picking up on it.

I'd actually have a better opinion of Bush if he did "strike a deal" with the devil, Saddam to "save" Baghdad and especially our troops. At least, we'd have "assurances" the WMD would be found and the Iraq government changed with minimal bloodshed. ;)

But I fear we shall never know for sure.

Until this has been verified. I'm not really going to buy into it myself, but, yes, the idea is actually quite intruiging, in some ways it even seems to make sense. However I don't think that it will blow over well with the American public anyway, so in other words, unless some kind of clever spin is put on it we porbably won't ever know for sure.

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
I find it difficult to believe we put a member of Saddam's regime into the gunner's seat of an Apache.

Anyone who does believe that needs to contact the mothership about getting their fillings replaced.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

CkG

rolleye.gif

My point is still valid whether or not you actually agree with what you posted. :)

CkG
Your point is only "valid" from YOUR point of view. :p

I know you like to live in your little world . . . I am simply posting what the REST of the WORLD (the OTHER 6 BILLION humans) thinks . . .
Perhaps you are not capable of handling the truth and prefers to swallow everything the government spoon feeds you. :p

rolleye.gif

Spyro

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2001

CkG

rolleye.gif

CkG

Hrmmm..... Good point. However, I'm trying to avoid getting, needlessly, PM'd with another flame. And I thought I was the dragon :confused:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

Because it's going to make the US look bad? I don't see how national security would be effected if this information was released.

It may be released (if it happened) but maybe we haven't gotten them to a secure place yet, or maybe they haven't held up their end of the bargain yet...too many variables to know.

CkG

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

The public did know, we only talked about attempting negotiating surrenders for several weeks before the war started. This would not be a surprise if true. Even Sun Tzu would have prefered this strategy.