Abbott screwed Texans again...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Downstairs is set to 78. The upstairs i had to lower to 76 because it was never coming on. The upstairs thermostat would say 78 but the kids rooms were getting into the 80’s.

I needed to get the whole system rebalanced

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Downstairs is set to 78. The upstairs i had to lower to 76 because it was never coming on. The upstairs thermostat would say 78 but the kids rooms were getting into the 80’s.

I needed to get the whole system rebalanced
You can get thermostats that will run than fan every so often even if the AC/Heat isn't needed. Helps balances the exterior and interior spaces.

Reactions: Paratus

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
...and they were right. The heat caused six power generation facilities to go offline. They need everyone to bump up their thermostats and avoid heavy usage during peak times. Looks like last winter taught them little.
My brother moved to Texasistan a few years ago and built a really big ranch-style house. I asked him if was covering the roof with solar panels and he just sort of shrugged it off as I am sure he was enamored with the fantastic free market electrical grid there. To this day, I won't ask him how much he regrets moving to such a a shitty state where the government has fucked its citizens and he also passed up the opprotunity to save himself from (part of) their shit decisions. You can't fix a conservative brain.

Reactions: hal2kilo and dank69

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
My brother moved to Texasistan a few years ago and built a really big ranch-style house. I asked him if was covering the roof with solar panels and he just sort of shrugged it off as I am sure he was enamored with the fantastic free market electrical grid there. To this day, I won't ask him how much he regrets moving to such a a shitty state where the government has fucked its citizens and he also passed up the opprotunity to save himself from (part of) their shit decisions. You can't fix a conservative brain.
I was at the Petroit Science Museum in downtown Dallas today. They have a big exhibit that is almost entirely focused on oil and gas exploration and refining. But at the end of it, it focuses on electricity generation and includes solar/wind. Anyways, I was looking at that area and some redneck says to his wife is and kids "I see they are really pushing that alternative energy BULLSHIT here."

Meanwhile the state would've had no generation problems today if they actually had a reasonable about of solar.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
My AC is almost always set at 77 or higher. I only kick it lower rarely and only for short periods while I'm in the room.. Room meaning just that ... one room, the one I'm in. Not the whole house.

Damn I keep mine set at 72 in CA.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
The latest talking point I've seen is that the blame actually lies with all the people who have moved to Texas from other places (namely, CA) and how all the housing growth is stressing their grid.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I was at the Petroit Science Museum in downtown Dallas today. They have a big exhibit that is almost entirely focused on oil and gas exploration and refining. But at the end of it, it focuses on electricity generation and includes solar/wind. Anyways, I was looking at that area and some redneck says to his wife is and kids "I see they are really pushing that alternative energy BULLSHIT here."

Meanwhile the state would've had no generation problems today if they actually had a reasonable about of solar.

About a quarter of the state's power already comes from wind. Plenty of ranchers who are not morons getting paid. The modest installed solar base (on both sides of the meter) is probably the only thing keeping the lights on at this point.

I'm keeping my thermostat at 75 as usual. Windows are filmed with heat rejection tint, shades drawn on sunny side of house, and a 6kW grid tie solar array on the roof. Done my part.

Reactions: Zorba and gothuevos

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The latest talking point I've seen is that the blame actually lies with all the people who have moved to Texas from other places (namely, CA) and how all the housing growth is stressing their grid.
You mean it's all liberals' fault once again? Is there no end to their madness?

Reactions: esquared

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
You mean it's all liberals' fault once again? Is there no end to their madness?

The Narcissist's Prayer is basically the only governing principle the legislature and statewide offices operate on that I can discern.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
About a quarter of the state's power already comes from wind. Plenty of ranchers who are not morons getting paid. The modest installed solar base (on both sides of the meter) is probably the only thing keeping the lights on at this point.

I'm keeping my thermostat at 75 as usual. Windows are filmed with heat rejection tint, shades drawn on sunny side of house, and a 6kW grid tie solar array on the roof. Done my part.
Yeah, wind is great. In fact the Southwest Power Pool hit like 88% wind in March. And many days in March and April wind could've been over 100% but they had to throttle it back. But wind availability isn't really tied to weather that causes demand.

Nice thing about solar is it tracks with solar heat gains really well, so on days with high AC demand you also get high solar output. We really need national solar freedom laws.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Nice thing about solar is it tracks with solar heat gains really well, so on days with high AC demand you also get high solar output. We really need national solar freedom laws.
Damn you and your athiest science shit!!!!11!1!

High demand corresponds with high solar output?!!? No way!!!!

Fuxkijg liberal logic/science/math.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
In the meantime someone like Rogan has mentioned abortion once, while high. Otherwise its crickets.
Let see them all fleeing back into safe heavens once Roe reality sets in... while still bitching about woke libs being the downfall of democracy.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
If a wealthy spoiled brat moron like Trump can still remain the Repub's top pick for 2024 then Abbott is a perfect fit for what the Repubs in TX want as their state's leader.

Bottom line here is there are no qualifications necessary for the leadership positions in that party of theirs other than who can best insult, denigrate, dehumanize and dream up whopping fallacies about their sworn enemies, the (lol) "radical leftists who are dragging the nation to its doom." Trump proved that beyond all doubt back in '16 and made it a feature of the Repub party right up to this very day with the likes of Marj Greene et al carrying their torch forward to new heights of ridiculousness.

Reactions: hal2kilo and dank69

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

How was the mineral exhibit?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
How was the mineral exhibit?
I think pretty good, but my daughter wasn't very interested so I didn't get to look at it much. A lot of the museum has an older target audience than most science museums.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I think pretty good, but my daughter wasn't very interested so I didn't get to look at it much. A lot of the museum has an older target audience than most science museums.

Your daughter is no longer interested in jewel trolls. Give it up.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm sure Texans will be chanting"were #1!" over this. Death cult strikes again

And the majority of those blue collar workers will vote GQP.

As long as they can be bigoted or racist alpha male scumbags, they don't mind dying in the heat to own the libs

Reactions: cytg111