A warning to those who has large investment in China

JohnsonLeo

Nov 10, 2016
Yesterday, U.S. Commerce Dept announced they forbid America company to sell device or IC to China's corporation ZTE. ZTE is in trouble now.
China's manufacturing capability is built on sand. If more and more countries forbid their corporations to sell high tech products to China, China will be in trouble.

On the other hand, I guess China will fight back. What they can do is punish the investors who earn big money from China's market. So the people who has large investment in China is in trouble now. Quit from China as fast as you can. Else you will be a victim of the trade war.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Opinion = Off Topic..
https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-...-chinese-phone-maker-zte-20180417-p4za33.html
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ling-to-chinese-phone-maker-zte-idUSKBN1HN1P1
The ban is the result of ZTE’s failure to comply with an agreement with the U.S. government after it pleaded guilty last year in federal court in Texas to conspiring to violate U.S. sanctions by illegally shipping U.S. goods and technology to Iran, the Commerce Department said.

There it isn't an opinion piece.

JohnsonLeo

Nov 10, 2016
Don't do business with devil. Don't sell your soul to devil.
Else, if you have some trouble, you deserve.
Quit as fast as you can. Especially China's stock market.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Don't do business with devil. Don't sell your soul to devil.
Else, if you have some trouble, you deserve.
Quit as fast as you can. Especially China's stock market.
That's like asking an opiate user to go cold turkey,

this country sold it's soul to China for high profit margins and cheap prices at the expense of it's conscience, no easy way to go back without a lot of pain that could be fatal,

as for restricting high technology, those days are numbered, China has, is, and will continually acquire (copy) all the technology it needs thanks to Western corporate greed that can't see past the next quarter financial results along with their sacrosanct dogma "profit only matters", which the Chinese used to their advantage in order to build themselves up and catch up to the west by sacrificing their people and environment while the fools in western countries believed they found some sort of perpetual serfs to bypass all the rules and regulations that interfered with their profits in their own respective countries..

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
That's like asking an opiate user to go cold turkey,

this country sold it's soul to China for high profit margins and cheap prices at the expense of it's conscience, no easy way to go back without a lot of pain that could be fatal,

as for restricting high technology, those days are numbered, China has, is, and will continually acquire (copy) all the technology it needs thanks to Western corporate greed that can't see past the next quarter financial results along with their sacrosanct dogma "profit only matters", which the Chinese used to their advantage in order to build themselves up and catch up to the west by sacrificing their people and environment while the fools in western countries believed they found some sort of perpetual serfs to bypass all the rules and regulations that interfered with their profits in their own respective countries..

Um..... in 2014 China filed for more patents than the United States and Japan combined. In a decade or so, Americans will be stealing Chinese tech, bet on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Intellectual_Property_Indicators

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Filed for more, but the US alone was granted more.

That is what is so staggering about it. It usually takes years for a patent to be granted. What this illustrates is a snapshot of the past when America was leading. Look again in four or more years and you will then see China dominating in patents granted. You should be aware that the gap between China and America in patent applications is growing on yearly basis. Chinese people in general are smarter than Americans. This trend is not going to be slowed in any way, it is going to accelerate. It will be funny to see what Asia does when it is dominating the world in terms of economic prosperity and everybody wants to come to their countries. They are the least immigration friendly countries on earth at the present time.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
That is what is so staggering about it. It usually takes years for a patent to be granted. What this illustrates is a snapshot of the past when America was leading. Look again in four or more years and you will then see China dominating in patents granted. You should be aware that the gap between China and America in patent applications is growing on yearly basis. Chinese people in general are smarter than Americans. This trend is not going to be slowed in any way, it is going to accelerate. It will be funny to see what Asia does when it is dominating the world in terms of economic prosperity and everybody wants to come to their countries. They are the least immigration friendly countries on earth at the present time.

I don't disagree with the general gist, but "Chinese people in general are smarter than Americans"? Are you going all "Bell Curve" on us?

Chinese people are humans, and if the social and political problems that get in the way are reduced, I'm sure they'll be innovating at a greater rate, as humans tend to do. And it's quite possible those obstructive problems in the US will increase at the same time, so the Chinese will get ahead. But don't go dragging 'smartness' into it!

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I don't disagree with the general gist, but "Chinese people in general are smarter than Americans"? Are you going all "Bell Curve" on us?

Chinese people are humans, and if the social and political problems that get in the way are reduced, I'm sure they'll be innovating at a greater rate, as humans tend to do. And it's quite possible those obstructive problems in the US will increase at the same time, so the Chinese will get ahead. But don't go dragging 'smartness' into it!

I am not suggesting that China will get ahead. I am suggesting that China will completely and utterly dominate in a manner the world has never seen. Almost all cutting edge technology will originate from China along with most significant scientific breakthroughs. They have a current mission to have a full time base on the moon. They will achieve that goal I have utterly no doubt. China is the word leader in renewable energy. While our fucked in the head shithead politicians deny the science, China invested $44 billion into clean energy projects last year and announced plans to invest $360 billion by 2020. China is also investing heavily in renewable technology (including bleeding edge research) and will eventually probably own the renewables market on a global scale. Think about that. While America fixes it mouth on the nipple of old energy, China is sewing up the future. That represents perhaps 100s OF TRILLIONS of dollars.

In the last few decades, America spent 5 trillion dollars in optional wars in the Middle East. Compare that to what Chinese government did with its resources. Their politicians get it. They are FAR FAR better than ours. China deserves the prosperity they are reaping. American deserves the shit sandwich it is going to eat.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/08/how-china-is-leading-the-renewable-energy-revolution

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I am not suggesting that China will get ahead. I am suggesting that China will completely and utterly dominate in a manner the world has never seen. Almost all cutting edge technology will originate from China along with most significant scientific breakthroughs. They have a current mission to have a full time base on the moon. They will achieve that goal I have utterly no doubt. China is the word leader in renewable energy. While our fucked in the head shithead politicians deny the science, China invested $44 billion into clean energy projects last year and announced plans to invest $360 billion by 2020. China is also investing heavily in renewable technology (including bleeding edge research) and will eventually probably own the renewables market on a global scale. Think about that. While America fixes it mouth on the nipple of old energy, China is sewing up the future. That represents perhaps 100s OF TRILLIONS of dollars.

In the last few decades, America spent 5 trillion dollars in optional wars in the Middle East. Compare that to what Chinese government did with its resources. Their politicians get it. They are FAR FAR better than ours. China deserves the prosperity they are reaping. American deserves the shit sandwich it is going to eat.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/08/how-china-is-leading-the-renewable-energy-revolution

Actually, if you look at world history, China for a long time was the dominate global power. look back at China during the Han, Tang, and Ming.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Actually, if you look at world history, China for a long time was the dominate global power. look back at China during the Han, Tang, and Ming.

Yea, I believe they have the longest lived civilization in human history. I think they created the best religion as well (Buddhism) or at least popularized it.

Isn't it amazing that all it took was the right kind of government to unleash their potential? Their rise has been the most awe-inspiring event to occur in my lifetime. Their government's relentless devotion to science, rational empiricism and progress is a wonderful thing to behold. Compare that to the shitshow that is our own government.

PS: My daughter has a great love for Asian literature. She reads Japanese authors incessantly. My greatest hope and dream is that she can eventually live in Asia.

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Isn't it amazing that all it took was the right kind of government to unleash their potential? Their rise has been the most awe-inspiring event to occur in my lifetime. Their government's relentless devotion to science, rational empiricism and progress is a wonderful thing to behold. Compare that to the shitshow that is our own government.

Not really. Government is to support the people. Even back then, then the roles flipped empires fell. Take the Ming Dynasty, it was massive but once the state tried to control more than the people controlled, is collapsed. You will find it interesting that a big part of the Ming fall was the religious power know as Confucianism. They took China and made it isolationists.

The role of the government is to establish ground rules and the rule of law. China right now has made some good investments, and some very very bad ones. I think they are not as healthy as you seem to believe.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Not really. Government is to support the people. Even back then, then the roles flipped empires fell. Take the Ming Dynasty, it was massive but once the state tried to control more than the people controlled, is collapsed. You will find it interesting that a big part of the Ming fall was the religious power know as Confucianism. They took China and made it isolationists.

The role of the government is to establish ground rules and the rule of law. China right now has made some good investments, and some very very bad ones. I think they are not as healthy as you seem to believe.

I don't know, they took their gdp per capita from 1/10th of Mexicos to nearly equivalent to Mexicos in 20 years. Has any other civilization accomplished such a feat?

I know that America's present makes it one of the less safe places to live on the globe and that its present looks rosy compared to its future. Asia is a far far safer place to live.

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I don't know, they took their gdp per capita from 1/10th of Mexicos to nearly equivalent to Mexicos in 20 years. Has any other civilization accomplished such a feat?

No, but it was not because of the government that it grew like that. It was a shift from top down organization to allowing its people to self organize. It started with farming where previously the state decided what was grown, how much, when ect. That shifted and production boomed and prices fell. This was the start of a turning point and was further expanded all be it controlled. The biggest reasons China has grown was because of free-er markets and limited government. It is true that they massively invested in infrastructure which helped grow, but most of the driver of increased wealth was not done by the government.

Look at the cities they have built that are empty. Look at the 3 gorges dam. Huge impact on the environment, displaced over a million poor, far more expensive than originally planned, caused huge water shortages, ect. They have a huge housing bubble.

China has some very real issues to deal with. They have made some gains, many honestly, other times through theft. But, they still have some very troubling issues to deal with.