A trip down memory lane (a tea party thread)...

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6b1VOAATNk&feature=sub&videos=jnqoqxcYzPA

This video makes a statement I've been previously unable to articulate.

I'm surprised by the left who appear to dislike the protesters in the tea party movement for their method, and for individuals among them who say or do stupid things.

I make the following admission: This is shot like a documentary, which means it's edited to point towards a desired conclusion. All the same, I posted this to point out the following: that protesters of the Obama administration are AT LEAST no crazier than the protesters of the Bush administration.

This is all politics. To its core.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6b1VOAATNk&feature=sub&videos=jnqoqxcYzPA

This video makes a statement I've been previously unable to articulate.

I'm surprised by the left who appear to dislike the protesters in the tea party movement for their method, and for individuals among them who say or do stupid things.

I make the following admission: This is shot like a documentary, which means it's edited to point towards a desired conclusion. All the same, I posted this to point out the following: that protesters of the Obama administration are AT LEAST no crazier than the protesters of the Bush administration.

This is all politics. To its core.

The left favor free speech so long as it is restricted to them and the ideas they support. In that case it is "the highest form of patriotism". In all other cases it is something to be restricted, slandered, ridiculed, and demonized at all costs.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
The left favor free speech so long as it is restricted to them and the ideas they support. In that case it is "the highest form of patriotism". In all other cases it is something to be restricted, slandered, ridiculed, and demonized at all costs.

I completely agree.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
You are entitled to your opinion, not manufactured facts, propaganda, trolling, lies and hypocrisy.

--

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
You are entitled to your opinion, not manufactured facts, propaganda, trolling, lies and hypocrisy.

--

Actually according to the 1st amendment you are entitled to all the above as well as the right to refute all the above.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

--

Oh the irony!!!

Using a manufactured fact based on propaganda while decrying both IS hypocrisy!!! Not to mention a lying troll.

You obviously have no idea of what freedom is, much less the First Amendment.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

You were just eaten alive 3 posts up from your own.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
That's pretty funny. At least we can all agree that we don't like Hitler.

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005

This X ∞

Edit: The most closed minded people I have ever met have been far left liberals.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Manufactured facts, propaganda, trolling, lies and hypocrisy are seditious and libelous, and are not protected speech.

Geez, you Paulbots are maroons.

--

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
You obviously have no idea of what freedom is, much less the First Amendment.

Actually according to the 1st amendment you are entitled to all the above as well as the right to refute all the above.

You are entitled to all items listed. It's called the First Amendment, maybe you've heard of it?

The First Amendment doesn't entitle you to anything, it prevents the Government from passing laws abridging free speech. If you believe it entitles you to lies and manufactured facts you can test your belief by spreading malicious false rumors about the well-heeled and litigous minded celebrity of your choice.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Manufactured facts, propaganda, trolling, lies and hypocrisy are seditious and libelous, and are not protected speech.

Don't tread on me, bro. If I want to make shit up and race bait, that's my choice!

You're right though. Lots of politicians are hated because of stuff they actually do or don't do. Carter = pussy, Reagan = evil, Bush 2 = evil? Obama = black/muslim/communist/something. One of these is different. :hmm:

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008

Wait, so the DEA's PSAs are not protected, and open them to litigation? Cool!

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001

--

Where? Show me?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

As for libel and slander you can do either to your hearts content and the targets are free to sue you and prove they were libeled/slandered in a court of law. Finally I didn't realize that defense of the 1st amendment made one a "Paulbot", if so then cheers for Paulbots!

Last edited:

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Where? Show me?

As for libel and slander you can do either to your hearts content and the targets are free to sue you and prove they were libeled/slandered in a court of law. Finally I didn't realize that defense of the 1st amendment made on a "Paulbot", if so then cheers for Paulbots!

Wait, so you're saying one might have legal recourse, in a court of law to secure damanges as a result of what the other party said?

Hmm, doesn't sound like there's much "entitlement" there.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
This might be different because they're pointing the finger at non-living objects.
But their lies cause damages to citizens who might have standing to sue if "Manufactured facts, propaganda, trolling, lies and hypocrisy" were not in fact viewed by the corpus of speech laws as typically protected. "Manufactured facts, propaganda, trolling, lies and hypocrisy" is in fact the heart of almost all political speech, which is that very core fo speech which the first amendment was intended to protect.

I really meant the DEA bit as mostly a joke, but it points to an important underlying truth: that no government is capable of preventing itself from lying, by virtue of the fact that most laws are politically contentious, and are thus not assertions of "truth", or even factuality - Congressional "findings of fact" :D notwithstanding. If politics is to ever be an honest endeavor, then lying must be protected. It is only when specific damages result that the courts really have a place stepping in...

The sky is red.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
Wait, so you're saying one might have legal recourse, in a court of law to secure damanges as a result of what the other party said?

Awarding damages for demonstrated damage inflicted by false statements is the total opposite of entitlement, but troll on...

You are clearly attempting to conflate all notions of "rights" with what is commonly refered to as "entitlement". While technically rights are things to which a person migth (rightfully) feel entitled, it is totally disingenuous to construe that as being the same as the political machine of "entitlements" as it is used in the vernacular. You know this, and you make this deceptive assertion anyways. :rolleyes:

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001

If you want to nit pick over wording then what the 1st amendment actual does is reinforce the idea that government cannot infringe on your natural right by birth to freedom of speech. We are entitled to it by the fact of our existence and our government may not infringe on that right. None of the Bill of Rights is meant to be a granting of rights, rather it is an acknowledgement of existing rights that were viewed be so fundamental that the Founders felt it necessary to include them in the Constitution. One of the arguments against a Bill of Rights was the fear that sometime in the future they would be viewed as government granting rights rather than a restatement of natural rights that every human being is entitled to by birth. This is why they felt it necessary to include the 9th amendment as part of the Bill of Rights.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Perception defines reality, and affiliation alters perception. So you think it's perfectly fine to silence the opposition by simply labeling your lies as truth and theirs as seditious and libelous?

When cherishing tyranny, you had best pray it does not turn and fall on you instead of your opponent. You are playing with fire to suggest people may not peacefully dissent.