A test of your objectivity

Does your "team" (politically and/or ideologically) ever make mistakes?

• Yes, my Republican/conservative team occasionally makes mistakes

• No, my Republican/conservative team never makes mistakes

• Yes, my Democratic/liberal team occasionally makes mistakes

• No, my Democratic/liberal team never makes mistakes

Results are only viewable after voting.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Do you think your "side", or your "team"... otherwise known as the ideology or political party with which you most often or completely agree... ever makes mistakes?

Yes, this is another one of my anti-partisanship threads... and I don't care if you have a problem with it.

Last edited:

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I refuse to align myself with any political party, although my leanings most closely match those of the libertarian party. When people box themselves into a particular ideological path or team they begin to stop looking at that path or team critically and simply take sides, adopt, and defend points of view simply for the sake of the team and ignore, criticize, and malign any actions or viewpoints of the other team.

It's primitive, animal behavior in my opinion.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
My Republican "team" makes mistakes, fuck-ups and clueless errors almost every damn day, just not as clueless or damaging as their Democrat counterparts.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I refuse to align myself with any political party, although my leanings most closely match those of the libertarian party. When people box themselves into a particular ideological path or team they begin to stop looking at that path or team critically and simply take sides, adopt, and defend points of view simply for the sake of the team and ignore, criticize, and malign any actions or viewpoints of the other team.

It's primitive, animal behavior in my opinion.

I always use Groucho Marx's line of reasoning (paraphrase): "I won't join any club or organization that would have someone like me as a member."

And yes the Democratic party with whom I generally agree does make mistakes.

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Poll is missing the independent option. I don't belong to either major league team or with the nutjob minor leaguers that claim to represent libertarians or independents.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
My Republican "team" makes mistakes, fuck-ups and clueless errors almost every damn day, just not as clueless or damaging as their Democrat counterparts.

You'll find that to be entirely false when/if they get enough power.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I don't think objectivity is being tested by this poll. I understand the idea of getting people to admit their "side" isn't perfect and infallible, but I think mono gave you the most honest answer with his post, and I think most people would state basically the same thing.

Also, if your goal is to equate these two sides, then I think that's not objective at all. Instead it's abdicating judgment to present as non-partisan.

The two should be judged and judged harshly. Then you remain independent and vote for individuals based on your research into their values and agenda and how they align with your own.

Last edited:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Is your objectivity showing?

It's not subjective to assert that both Democrats and Republicans make colossal mistakes.

It is highly subjective to say, as you did, that Republican mistakes are always smaller than Democratic ones.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Softball question. What about independents? Do they ever make mistakes?

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
I don't think objectivity is being tested by this poll. I understand the idea of getting people to admit their "side" isn't perfect and infallible, but I think mono gave you the most honest answer with his post, and I think most people would state basically the same thing.

I agree it's an honest answer, but I still find fault with his assertion that Republican mistakes are always smaller/less damaging than Democratic ones.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
It's not subjective to assert that both Democrats and Republicans make colossal mistakes.

It is highly subjective to say, as you did, that Republican mistakes are always smaller than Democratic ones.

Good point. If I didn't think it was more frequently or more egregious, then I'd probably be a Democrat.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I agree it's an honest answer, but I still find fault with his assertion that Republican mistakes are always smaller/less damaging than Democratic ones.

He's likely incapable of admitting the mistakes that are as bad or worse than the worst from the other side. It's his tribe.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Softball question. What about independents? Do they ever make mistakes?

The few independents in congress tend to pledge themselves to vote R or D so they don't really act as independents.

The fringe party candidates almost never get elected even at the state level.

For independent voters, the goal is to vote on issues (initiiatives / propositions / levies) without caring about party endorsements for or against them, and to vote for individuals instead of voting straight ticket.

Next month I'll be voting for a Republican governor for WA, and for Obama for president. The second vote is really a vote against Romney since I think he'll do more damage than Obama, but neither one is a great choice.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The few independents in congress tend to pledge themselves to vote R or D so they don't really act as independents.

The fringe party candidates almost never get elected even at the state level.

For independent voters, the goal is to vote on issues (initiiatives / propositions / levies) without caring about party endorsements for or against them, and to vote for individuals instead of voting straight ticket.

Next month I'll be voting for a Republican governor for WA, and for Obama for president. The second vote is really a vote against Romney since I think he'll do more damage than Obama, but neither one is a great choice.
What about independents that have nothing better to offer than "Dems and Reps are all the same"?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
What about independents that have nothing better to offer than "Dems and Reps are all the same"?

They're too lazy to look for differences in individuals, and to consider what the parties will do.

Yes, the parties are both bought and paid for, but for example back in the early '00s McCain fought against his party for what he thought was right. It was only later that he gave that up, almost completely during his presidential campaign.

Obama is a D, but has been much more centrist than the left-wing extremists of that party.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Do you think your "side", or your "team"... otherwise known as the ideology or political party with which you most often or completely agree... ever makes mistakes?

Yes, this is another one of my anti-partisanship threads... and I don't care if you have a problem with it.

I respect your intentions here, but the question is too softball and will not measure what you are hoping. It doesn't take much objectivity to admit in an poll that your side "occasionally" makes mistakes. Replace the word "occasionally" with the word "frequently" and you'll get a better test.

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
my "fellow republican voters" made a colossal mistake nominating mccain in 2008. my "fellow republican voters" made a mistake not giving ron paul more of the votes.

my elected republican congressmen are a bunch of corrupt, worthless assholes, and i truly wish they all were voted out of office.

in fact, i wish the republican party in its entirety were destroyed and a new fiscally conservative, secular, and socially..reasonably socially liberal party would emerge.

but hey, i don't vote democrat, cause your elected assholes are worse.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
I respect your intentions here, but the question is too softball and will not measure what you are hoping. It doesn't take much objectivity to admit in an poll that your side "occasionally" makes mistakes. Replace the word "occasionally" with the word "frequently" and you'll get a better test.

Meh... it's all in fun, anyway.