A Terror Threat Fox News Won't Cover

Tombstone1881

Aug 8, 2014
Silence From Network After Christian Minister Arrested For Threatening To Kill Muslims

Fox News was completely silent after a Christian minister pleaded guilty to plotting to attack American Muslims in New York, continuing a habit of downplaying threats to Muslims and ignoring extremist acts with no ties to Islam.

Robert Doggart, an ordained Christian minister and former Tennessee congressional candidate, was arrested and pled guilty to attempting to recruit "expert Gunners" to aid him in a plot to kill residents of Islamberg, NY, a largely Muslim community at the foot of the Catskill Mountains. RawStory reported on the details of Doggart's plan:
He met with the informant in Nashville and discussed using Molotov cocktails to firebomb buildings in the Muslim community, which was founded by African-Americans who had converted to Islam from Christianity.

Doggart told the informant during a recorded conversation that he planned to bring 500 rounds of ammunition for the M4 rifle and a pistol with three extra magazines - as well as a machete.
"If it gets down to the machete, we will cut them to shreds," he told the informant.

He said during a recorded call that the "battalion" he commanded hoped the raid on Hancock, which is also known as Islamberg, would be a "flash point" in a possible revolution.

"So sick and tired of this crap that the government is pulling that we go take a small military installation or we go burn down a Muslim church or something like that," Doggart said.
The Daily Beast pointed out that the media has remained largely silent on the story, wondering at the absence of "the Fox News panic" and noting:
It goes without saying that if Doggart had been Muslim and had planned to kill Christians in America, we would have seen wall-to-wall media coverage. Fox News would have cut into its already-daily coverage of demonizing Muslims to do a special report really demonizing Muslims.
And in fact, Fox News has made no mention of the story at all. What's more, the network does have a history of downplaying threats against Muslims while hyping any Islamic connection to terror it can find. After the Boston Marathon bombings, the network ridiculed former Attorney General Eric Holder for warning against retaliatory acts of violence, ignoring years of threats against Muslims. In 2010, Fox host Brian Kilmeade claimed that "all terrorists are Muslims."

And Fox has reacted to terror attacks committed by right-wing extremists with a yawn. After the Department of Homeland Security released a report on right-wing terror in 2015, Fox News' Eric Bolling claimed "you can't name" instances of right-wing terrorism "in the last seven years," ignoring dozens of examples.

Right-wing media have also been known to fearmonger about often-unsubstantiated Islamic terror threats. Outlets like Fox News, The Drudge Report, and The New York Post hyped an unfounded "jihadist" plot against Fort Jackson in South Carolina. And Sean Hannity and other conservatives promoted an unsubstantiated story of an Islamic State (ISIS) training camp on the U.S.-Mexico border around the same time Doggart was arrested.

Islamberg, the town Doggart was planning to attack, has also garnered Fox News' attention in the past -- a 2007 FoxNews.com article wondered if it was a "terror compound" and a report by Fox Business host Lou Dobbs claimed the town was home to a group engaging in "guerilla war training."

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/05/20/a-terror-threat-fox-news-wont-cover/203714

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I think this is a rather hollow complaint. The article notes the media as a whole is largely silent on the matter. First I have heard about it. And I visit several news sites.

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Sometimes a loser is just a loser.

If you want to discuss a greater issue of American distrust of Muslims, which is entirely responsible for unhinged people being afraid and wanting to take matters into their own hands, then by all means... let's discuss why Americans are afraid of Muslims.

1: September 11th.
2: No visible outreach or union against terror.
3: Which Muslim majority country has a stable functioning democracy with comparable humans rights to America or Europe? If their countries are not seen as achieving the same basic level of human rights as us then their presence is seen as a threat to regress back to more medieval forms of law.

It boils down to foreign origin, global violence, and ZERO communication. It's not necessarily on them, cause I don't think we are doing our part to ensure a peaceful and civil resolution of those standing issues. We react to crazies by locking them away, but we don't even come close to proactively keeping the peace.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
how cute, the left now complaining about the some mythical right wing media boogie man?

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
ps, a site search on cnn.com finds nothing for "Robert Doggart", same for msnbc,

fox news, 1 story found.

hhmmmmmmmm

hmmmmm

huffpost? ha 1 article, that complains no one heard about this story.

Is seems like no one covered this story.

Feb 16, 2005
how cute, the left now complaining about the some mythical right wing media boogie man?

yea, ok. fox is fair and balanced and gives equal respect to all sides of a story :rolleyes:

(and the same can be said for msnbc and cnn, ALL 24 hour 'news' stations are a pathetic joke, and have their own agenda to push)

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Dude, you have made reference to the liberal mainstream media "boogie man" countless times. Are you seriously belittling someone for doing what you constantly do?

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
NBC, ABC, and CBS are little / no better.

yea, ok. fox is fair and balanced and gives equal respect to all sides of a story :rolleyes:

(and the same can be said for msnbc and cnn, ALL 24 hour 'news' stations are a pathetic joke, and have their own agenda to push)

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Looks like FoxNews coverage equals or exceeds most major outlets on this story. Pretty sure there have been several plots by Muslims to attack americans in the states that have been broken up by federal authorities that we have never heard about. Well at least that is what the NSA says when defending collecting the metadata from my cell communications.

artvscommerce

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2010

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
That story wasn't from fox, it was from AP. They just posted it. I see your point, but at the same time it seems surprising a news outlet as large as fox wouldn't be writing about something like this.
No it's not. Nothing happened! A guy got arrested before he did anything.

Fox haters have their panties in a twist because Fox didn't cover something in the manner they felt they should cover it. Holy shit man, this is huge! It's not.

Today, I read that the Clinton Foundation neglected to report over $26 million in speaking fees they were obligated to report as part of an ethics agreement. I just went to the MSNBC site. They make no mention of that, but their version of the story is that the disclosure is about the Clinton's huge commitment to transparency.

Two different spins, same story.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/clinton-speeches-made-more-12-million-foundation

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...p-to-264m-in-previously-undisclosed-payments/

Why haven't I started a thread about this? Because for one I'm adult enough to understand that stories will be spun and secondly, that I'm adult enough to understand that railing on about it here accomplishes nothing.

Haters gonna hate. It's pretty convenient to blame everything on a news organization that doesn't toe the line one's progressive ideology dictates. The only thing that is going to make people like the OP happy is to have one source of news and it should be provided by the government. Dissenting opinions are dangerous and must be eliminated. What do you think?

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
That story wasn't from fox, it was from AP. They just posted it. I see your point, but at the same time it seems surprising a news outlet as large as fox wouldn't be writing about something like this.

so what about CNN or msnbc? When op posted this liberal foaming at the mouth fox hate post, those news outlets didnt even have the AP story.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
The guy was arrested BEFORE anything happened, thus little media coverage.

Makes you wonder how many muslims are arrested before they fired a single shot, eh? Hmm?

Media only covers the sensational stuff that gets people excited.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I think this is a rather hollow complaint. The article notes the media as a whole is largely silent on the matter. First I have heard about it. And I visit several news sites.

This. MM[Media Matters for America (mediamatters.org)] exists primarily to attack FNC. It's very tiresome to read their "stories."

Last edited: