a-neuroscientist-explains-what-may-be-wrong-with-trump-supporters-brains

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
the trump supporters were the teaparty just 4 years ago. And they were the religious right before that. They arent going away. They are becoming more and more extreme.
I mean going away as in dying off.
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...americans-left-behind-and-dying-early/433863/
Late last year, a study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences found that middle-aged, white Americans have been getting sicker and dying in greater numbers, even as the rest of the world is living longer and healthier.

The authors of that study attributed the trend to what we called “despair deaths:” mainly suicides, drug overdoses, and alcohol-related liver disease.

Now, a new analysis from the Commonwealth Fund suggests there’s more to the story. The report, by David Squires and David Blumenthal, notes that between 1999 and 2014, mortality rates in the U.S. rose for white Americans aged 22 and 56. Before that, death rates had been falling by nearly 2 percent each year since 1968.
61190219d.png

Mortality gap map:
2d442d481.png

Oct-17-electoral-map-538.jpg

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

Perhaps even greater factor is urbanization and dying from old age. If you break the color map down by county, it's pretty obvious where the blue pin points are; people simply become liberalized as they see more of the world in their microcosm. Similarly, few are moving from the blue to red areas, which are literally dying off as their population age.

ZimFreak

Aug 31, 2016
Why does BLM frighten you? because you've been told to be afraid. It's the same with the rest of it. Trump goes on like the end of the world is nigh, always a fave with conservatives.. It's not. Unsurprisingly, we have nothing to fear but fear itself & those who promulgate it.

No I'm scared of BLM because it's legitimately frightening

http://www.infowars.com/video-black-lives-matter-rioters-target-whites-for-beat-downs/
(Not the best site but the sources are good)

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/32...tter-before-viciously-attacking-white-victims

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Not even close to record levels, those record levels occurred during St Ronnie's tenure, iirc.
Well its probably a record numerically with higher populations but not per capita but both sides play with statistics that way so the only part thats interesting/telling is when you decide to care.

Go walk around a democrat inner city with cash hanging out of your pocket and see what the crime rate is yourself. Crime is more than just statistics, it affects the whole area. High crime cities are food/shopping deserts for a reason. Can't rob a store if there isn't one there.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Well its probably a record numerically with higher populations but not per capita but both sides play with statistics that way so the only part thats interesting/telling is when you decide to care.

Go walk around a democrat inner city with cash hanging out of your pocket and see what the crime rate is yourself. Crime is more than just statistics, it affects the whole area. High crime cities are food/shopping deserts for a reason. Can't rob a store if there isn't one there.

Link to the crime problems only occurring in democrat inner cities?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't think it is a matter of choice, at least not conscious choice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
It's not that we see what we want to see, but what we expect to see.
I always say I'll see it when I believe it.
The same could be said of liberal brain phenomena. How could one simply dismiss Ms. Bill Clinton's unsavory character? Clearly, this is a brain defect.

Since both liberals and conservatives, just to a greater degree for the latter than the former, are both capable of rationalization, your point, were it a factual representation of reality, would be true. The fly in the ointment, however, may be that the unsavory character of Mrs. Clinton may just be a truth only in the altered reality produced by conservative delusions. You have to realize that for you Mrs. Clinton's unsavoriness may only be your opinion and not be factual in reality. Thus, any certainty you have, any absolute gut feeling, while totally real for you isn't actually real. I know that you don't believe that but it is something to consider.

So all I would say is that if liberals live in the delusion that you think you see, they may see the same in you and there can be no joining of hands, no mutual understanding. Maybe you can see that a deluded liberal, if he took himself less seriously, didn't trust himself so much and thus what he believes, there might be a chance to see. But imagine how hard that would be, to see that one has been wrong. I wish you luck in your efforts to convince liberals of this. I know how hard it is. I lost everything sacred to me by self questioning and while at first it totally crushed me, I'm now glad I did. When I lost all of my finest treasures I found one that can never be taken, one beyond imagination. May your own caravan of riches arrive.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

Why cite "facts" when it's obvious you don't care about them?

Gee I wonder what the problem might be when people are willing to commit a felony over not much money, and how that could be linked to other problems associated with poverty.