A little rant about the PC Gaming communities (IE: Clans/Gangs)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Well there are people above upper management called the "council"

Lol

Clans like that are funny. When I was like 10, I got into my first clan in Medal of Honor which used a military rank structure. Apparently a member reported me for cursing on their server. I was given a "military trial" and then "dishonorably discharged". I was annoyed since I had to do an application process to even join them.

Good thing everyone I've played with since then have been normal people.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Recently I joined a nice group called Hellsgamers. They run a lot of CSS, CS:GO, GM, etc servers and they're really fun.

I joined thinking that it would be an awesome community and that there would be very few problems with it. I met some cool people, all was going well.

Today, I was playing jailbreak on CSS (think of it like simon says but with guns). The warden (leader who tells us what to do) does a joke day (where we tell jokes). People decided to tell jokes regarding the death of Paul Walker. Most of us tell these sick jokes, none of them are muted. After the round ends, I proceed to tell a joke that I had found online regarding the death of Paul Walker. I get muted for 9 rounds. Now, 9 rounds is about 30-45 minutes depending how well the day goes (day=rounds).

I post on the forums calling this abuse, since earlier we were telling these jokes and it was okay. And since it was 9 rounds, which was a bit harsh. I already knew nothing was going to happen since the person who muted me was one of the higher ups (Upper Management). A lot of the people I talked too thought that it was a bit ridiculous but kept their mouth shut knowing that if they talked, a shitstorm would brew. I patiently wait for a response from someone regarding this issue.

I go back to playing jailbreak. The warden calls a "What would you tell me if I was a sick Consuela" (warden's in game name is "Consuela" and he does a pretty good impersonation of the character. She is the maid in Family Guy). I decided to say something that could be considered borderline racism, but since it was Consuela, it was supposed to be okay. I get kicked for racism. Now I go back into the game, and the person that was going was talking about how Consuela was supposed to be cleaning the kitchen. The person talking isn't kicked and he's talking about cleaning kitchens when all I talked about is mowing lawns (both were borderline racism). Again, people see me being kicked and tell me how to drop it since I was obviously getting worked up over it.

I go to the forums to see if there is an update. There is.

I read it and it comes off as being a bit rude since he used the words "beetch" and "lube" (you can probably guess what he said).

We go back and forth and sort things out. The original intention was because of the length of the mute, not the mute itself. However the Upper Management person who was reviewing my case did not understand/avoiding the questions (?) and eventually closed it because I owned up to it and that I got what I deserved.

I go back, I rage and then I get banned for disrespecting.

I talk to some of my friends that I've made and they all tell me how the "Upper Management" and the leaders in the community itself is a bunch of bull. They don't really care for the players at all.

I obviously left this community and am currently in search of another gaming community.

TL;DR

Gaming communities should be about the players. And some people can't read.

---
sidenote: sorry for this long post. I kinda wanted this off my chest before I went to bed.

Edit: here is the conversation for the abuse

What is your ethnic background? So we can all make fun of you for a whole joke day.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Clans\Guilds are a hotbed for nerds to abuse their first taste of power.

I have known Clans where teenagers are in command (started the clan) and much older people (late 20s and 30's) have to call them Sir or some superior sounding word in front of their names. Much more to it than that but imagine teenage nerds with such power over older people....lol!

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I have known Clans where teenagers are in command (started the clan) and much older people (late 20s and 30's) have to call them Sir or some superior sounding word in front of their names. Much more to it than that but imagine teenage nerds with such power over older people....lol!
That's pathetic.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I grew out of clans when I was in my late teens.

Clans are a great way for kids/teenagers with little to no real-world obligations and responsibilities to experience a kind of structure and empowerment in a digital hierarchy. I think it's an innate desire in a lot of young people, to feel a part of something bigger, and to give a greater purpose to what is innately a rather meaningless activity.

That's not to say they're all like that, or that a great group of adults can't have an active clan community that's a lot of fun. I know they're out there.

But when I tried to rejoin a clan several years back, and realized that deadlines, rules, regulations, and expectations were being placed on my increasingly infrequent downtime hobby, and that I was being chastised by an 18 year old for not posting regularly enough on the "clan forums", I knew this phase of my life had passed forever.
Great post, better than I could've said. I was never a part of the "clan scene," but more often than not, my experience has been is that they're composed of uppity little pricks who have an overinflated sense of worth and importance.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Great post, better than I could've said. I was never a part of the "clan scene," but more often than not, my experience has been is that they're composed of uppity little pricks who have an overinflated sense of worth and importance.

Clans for me (I'm in my late 20's now) have always been about my friends and I playing a game together that we all owned. We'd generally pick up more people along the way since people saw that we always stuck together and had fun.

I was generally thought of as the "Leader" but had none of that power trip shit. I was there to have fun and act crazy between work/school.

It really boils down to the person and why the clan/guild was formed. I always roll my eyes when I hear of someone "climbing the guild ladder".

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

lmfao I would tell them to gtfo of their moms basement before demanding others call them sir.