A little rant about the PC Gaming communities (IE: Clans/Gangs)

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
Recently I joined a nice group called Hellsgamers. They run a lot of CSS, CS:GO, GM, etc servers and they're really fun.

I joined thinking that it would be an awesome community and that there would be very few problems with it. I met some cool people, all was going well.

Today, I was playing jailbreak on CSS (think of it like simon says but with guns). The warden (leader who tells us what to do) does a joke day (where we tell jokes). People decided to tell jokes regarding the death of Paul Walker. Most of us tell these sick jokes, none of them are muted. After the round ends, I proceed to tell a joke that I had found online regarding the death of Paul Walker. I get muted for 9 rounds. Now, 9 rounds is about 30-45 minutes depending how well the day goes (day=rounds).

I post on the forums calling this abuse, since earlier we were telling these jokes and it was okay. And since it was 9 rounds, which was a bit harsh. I already knew nothing was going to happen since the person who muted me was one of the higher ups (Upper Management). A lot of the people I talked too thought that it was a bit ridiculous but kept their mouth shut knowing that if they talked, a shitstorm would brew. I patiently wait for a response from someone regarding this issue.

I go back to playing jailbreak. The warden calls a "What would you tell me if I was a sick Consuela" (warden's in game name is "Consuela" and he does a pretty good impersonation of the character. She is the maid in Family Guy). I decided to say something that could be considered borderline racism, but since it was Consuela, it was supposed to be okay. I get kicked for racism. Now I go back into the game, and the person that was going was talking about how Consuela was supposed to be cleaning the kitchen. The person talking isn't kicked and he's talking about cleaning kitchens when all I talked about is mowing lawns (both were borderline racism). Again, people see me being kicked and tell me how to drop it since I was obviously getting worked up over it.

I go to the forums to see if there is an update. There is.

I read it and it comes off as being a bit rude since he used the words "beetch" and "lube" (you can probably guess what he said).

We go back and forth and sort things out. The original intention was because of the length of the mute, not the mute itself. However the Upper Management person who was reviewing my case did not understand/avoiding the questions (?) and eventually closed it because I owned up to it and that I got what I deserved.

I go back, I rage and then I get banned for disrespecting.

I talk to some of my friends that I've made and they all tell me how the "Upper Management" and the leaders in the community itself is a bunch of bull. They don't really care for the players at all.

I obviously left this community and am currently in search of another gaming community.

TL;DR

Gaming communities should be about the players. And some people can't read.

---
sidenote: sorry for this long post. I kinda wanted this off my chest before I went to bed.

Edit: here is the conversation for the abuse

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Meh. These kinds of clans are all worthless IMO. You're best off either playing with people you know in real life, or completely random people where you don't have to deal with a hierarchy and so many rules.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Good that you ended up leaving them, gaming communities (guilds, 'clans', etc) shouldn't dissatisfy you, nor should it negatively affect your enjoyment of gaming (or of the game(s) in which you participate with said communities, groups, and so on).

The goal of gaming isn't to end up in some lower levels of a virtual pyramidal society, but to simply have a good time and to entertain yourself after, before, or even during a day at work. I mean, good for you if you can sneak some play time at the office... and well, if you're unemployed good for you... I guess, or bad for you, depending on how you see that in relation to having more time in your hands to play games (but less money to buy them... but that's after topic).

Anyway, some communities have more in common with cults than anything else, it can get immature fast, not to mention that more often than not only a spark will provoke a shit storm drama. And there's always of course at least that 'one guy' with more 'authority' ending up having his (usually "his" indeed, rarely "hers") cranium inflated to a point where he believes he's a demi God (or rather a demon, enjoying the fact that he muted you rather than considering it 'proper punishment'). Meh, personally I hate "ranks". I have enough of my real life boss and other "superiors" I won't exactly accept to be bossed around on the web and/or online gaming unless done willingly as it'd part of a role-play in some MMORPG, or something along the lines.

Bottom line is just look around for another community, there are good, warm welcoming and friendly ones out there that exist primarily for you and all other members to have fun together, joking, jesting in good measure and good tastes, without insulting or going too far. It's just a matter of finding them or 'testing' the waters. If things like the ones you experienced in that community happen again then just leave, rinse and repeat the elimination process, look for others until you find the right one(s).

A side note, however... "joking" about dead people isn't cool, man, seriously.

Last edited:

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Anytime any of these people are given any kind of power, they tend to go a bit crazy with it. I'd never go near that scene anyway, so I can ignore it.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
tl;dr - clans are founded by and run by real people, real people are utter twats a good chunk of the time, welcome to planet earth.

I play on their garrys mod zombie survival server, mods on it are a bunch of wet blankets but generally not too overzealous.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Gamers are jerks? You don't say?

/nips off to play single player games.

I only play single-player now, or maybe TF2 once in a blue moon. I got fed up with all the cheat mods and autoaim bots and such as well. I sometimes take recordings proving it, but server admins don't do much or even if they do, the cheaters come back anyway. Screw that.

Edit: sometimes the cheaters ARE the admins, too. And some admins are jerks even if they don't cheat.

Last edited:

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Anytime any of these people are given any kind of power, they tend to go a bit crazy with it. I'd never go near that scene anyway, so I can ignore it.

Well said. In BC2 I've got kicked from server many times after killing an admin regularly without breaking any rules multiple times. They can't take getting beat and use their "power". I have nothing against being a bad loser, but then don't be admin of a server.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
A group of dudes sitting around joking about somebody's death.

You all deserve each other.

Last edited:

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
A group of dudes sitting around joking about somebody's death.

You all deserve each other.

Haha. Well we were all having a good laugh (I'm going to hell).

The admins are okay but since he's upper management, he's untouchable

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I grew out of clans when I was in my late teens.

Clans are a great way for kids/teenagers with little to no real-world obligations and responsibilities to experience a kind of structure and empowerment in a digital hierarchy. I think it's an innate desire in a lot of young people, to feel a part of something bigger, and to give a greater purpose to what is innately a rather meaningless activity.

That's not to say they're all like that, or that a great group of adults can't have an active clan community that's a lot of fun. I know they're out there.

But when I tried to rejoin a clan several years back, and realized that deadlines, rules, regulations, and expectations were being placed on my increasingly infrequent downtime hobby, and that I was being chastised by an 18 year old for not posting regularly enough on the "clan forums", I knew this phase of my life had passed forever.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
Dumb, rude, racist, spammer, and whiner got banned.

You deserved it kid.

Last edited:

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Haha. Well we were all having a good laugh (I'm going to hell).

The admins are okay but since he's upper management, he's untouchable

This is an important lesson for real life, kid.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Strike 1: It's Counter-Strike.
Strike 2: What type of people play Counter-strike?
Strike 3: Clan with "Ranks" or a "Management Structure"

Sounds like a waste of time TBH. It gets REALLY messy once you start playing games with so much "structure" people tend to start acting like assholes and veer towards power-trip like behavior.

I've always found that I have more fun when playing with people who...want to play with others, have fun, and don't care about ranks.

Feb 6, 2007
I disagree with you that gaming communities should be about the players. Gaming communities should be about like-minded people playing games in a way that they all find fun. Maybe that means jokes about dead celebrities. Maybe it's about who can come up with the best racial slurs. Maybe it means being mature and respectful to one another. The point is, it's people who want to follow the same basic set of rules. When someone comes in who isn't abiding by those rules, it isn't on the community to adapt to the outsider; if they don't want to play by those same established rules, they can find somewhere else to play.

I'm a member of a group of adult gamers who run a server where we don't tolerate people coming in spouting off bigotry. We're polite but firm in enforcing these rules. If someone wants to come in and start calling everybody "i love you," it's not on our community to welcome them and change our ways; we have rules in place for a reason, and we've agreed that we don't want to put up with that while we're playing games together. The individual changes to fit the requirements of the community, not the other way around.

If you're having an issue with the people at HG, move on; there are other servers around. If you actually want to be a part of the community that they've established, you're the one who needs to change, not them. And as you're relatively new to that server, my advice would be to tread lightly; as people get to know you, you get cut more and more slack, so an infraction that might get you banned now might only be met with a warning when you know the right people.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
Dumb, rude, racist, spammer, and whiner got banned.

You deserved it kid.
lol okay.
This is an important lesson for real life, kid.
I figured.
I disagree with you that gaming communities should be about the players. Gaming communities should be about like-minded people playing games in a way that they all find fun. Maybe that means jokes about dead celebrities. Maybe it's about who can come up with the best racial slurs. Maybe it means being mature and respectful to one another. The point is, it's people who want to follow the same basic set of rules. When someone comes in who isn't abiding by those rules, it isn't on the community to adapt to the outsider; if they don't want to play by those same established rules, they can find somewhere else to play.

I'm a member of a group of adult gamers who run a server where we don't tolerate people coming in spouting off bigotry. We're polite but firm in enforcing these rules. If someone wants to come in and start calling everybody "i love you," it's not on our community to welcome them and change our ways; we have rules in place for a reason, and we've agreed that we don't want to put up with that while we're playing games together. The individual changes to fit the requirements of the community, not the other way around.

If you're having an issue with the people at HG, move on; there are other servers around. If you actually want to be a part of the community that they've established, you're the one who needs to change, not them. And as you're relatively new to that server, my advice would be to tread lightly; as people get to know you, you get cut more and more slack, so an infraction that might get you banned now might only be met with a warning when you know the right people.
What I meant by "all for the player/ about the players" is that it should be a like a family where everyone has equal rights and that there shouldn't really be someone who's the boss that gets to do everything his/her way. Everyone should have a say in something. Everyone is different, people have different views on things and different opinions, I get that.

I've been around the server long enough to be friends with all the admins.

Its just "Upper management" thats a problem.

Oct 20, 2005
OP, don't' sweat it, when you grow out of your teenage years, you'll realize that this stuff is just petty and a waste of time. You will stop giving a flying F about it and you won't lose any sleep over it.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
lol okay.

I figured.

What I meant by "all for the player/ about the players" is that it should be a like a family where everyone has equal rights and that there shouldn't really be someone who's the boss that gets to do everything his/her way. Everyone should have a say in something. Everyone is different, people have different views on things and different opinions, I get that.

all members of a family have equal rights? What world do you live in?

Feb 6, 2007

My guess is that it's also upper management who foots the bill to keep their servers running. And, like in most families, the people who pay the bills make the rules.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
all members of a family have equal rights? What world do you live in?

He should know better given that his forum name contains a Japanese surname....

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
lol okay.

I figured.

What is the golden rule?