A Liberal Supermajority

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
How anyone can use scare tactics against a dem majority after a republican control of all 3 branches drove us off a fucking cliff is baffling. Sorry, but you guys have absolutely no leg to stand on after spending the last 8 years taking a massive shit on our country.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Mani
How anyone can use scare tactics against a dem majority after a republican control of all 3 branches drove us off a fucking cliff is baffling. Sorry, but you guys have absolutely no leg to stand on after spending the last 8 years taking a massive shit on our country.

Get one thing straight: this isn't about fairness. Crying because you had to endure sustained Republican control doesn't mean sustained Democrat control is in order just so you get as many cookies as your little brat sister. That's stupid.

Your average citizen doesn't want EITHER party to have complete control, regardless of personal party affiliation, unless they're a complete whackjob. I didn't want complete right control any more than I want complete left control. It's dangerous.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: jbourne77

Get one thing straight: this isn't about fairness. Crying because you had to endure sustained Republican control doesn't mean sustained Democrat control is in order just so you get as many cookies as your little brat sister. That's stupid.

Your average citizen doesn't want EITHER party to have complete control, regardless of personal party affiliation, unless they're a complete whackjob. I didn't want complete right control any more than I want complete left control. It's dangerous.

All Republican government is not the same as all democratic government.

When all democrats have controlled government we have had our best policies past, such as Medicare and Social Security. All Republicans give us God added to the pledge of allegiance, the McCarthy era, and the GWB disasters involving deregulation, 'unirary executive' and such.

It's a neat trick to try to equate the democratic and republican parties on the issue.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Well, if Obama is worth a damn he'll do everything in his power to get the GOP brand to play nice and compromise. He'll have only 2.5 years to do it before the next presidential campaigns start up. But that should be enough time to help get the economy prosperous again and get out of Iraq, particularly if the transition to both isn't overly painful. If he can do that, I'd consider his first term a success all else equal.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001

You need to read before spewing crap like this. I never said anything about fairness - I said everything about hypocrisy.

And just because one party fucked this country up with complete control does not mean the other party will do the same.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Evan
Well, if Obama is worth a damn he'll do everything in his power to get the GOP brand to play nice and compromise. He'll have only 2.5 years to do it before the next presidential campaigns start up. But that should be enough time to help get the economy prosperous again and get out of Iraq, particularly if the transition to both isn't overly painful. If he can do that, I'd consider his first term a success all else equal.

Honestly, I don't think it's reasonable to expect the next president to fix the economy that quickly, Obama or otherwise. All I expect in the first 2 years is to not fuck it up more and set the gears in motion for full recovery.

It would also be nice if he doesn't completely fuck up healthcare, but I can't ask for everything.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005

You need to read before spewing crap like this. I never said anything about fairness - I said everything about hypocrisy.

And just because one party fucked this country up with complete control does not mean the other party will do the same.

Your problem is that you talk about ALL non-Leftists as if they were the ones personally at the helm. Get some perspective.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Craig234

All Republican government is not the same as all democratic government.

When all democrats have controlled government we have had our best policies past, such as Medicare and Social Security. All Republicans give us God added to the pledge of allegiance, the McCarthy era, and the GWB disasters involving deregulation, 'unirary executive' and such.

It's a neat trick to try to equate the democratic and republican parties on the issue.

Naturally a communist would think programs which undermine the financial stability of the country are a good thing.

Dont worry, someday you boys will destroy the country comrade

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Who else is getting excited about a super majority?

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001

Your problem is that you talk about ALL non-Leftists as if they were the ones personally at the helm. Get some perspective.

Don't call it my problem when you are reading something in my posts that isn't there. "ALL non-leftists" are not the people who voted Bush/Republicans in power and who are now b*tching about the possibility of dem control. Those hypocrites are who I am referring to.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
It is a scary thought. actually things seem to run much better when one party controls the congress and one the whitehouse

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
It's funny that repugs who thought one party rule was so neat in 2000 now think it's a bad idea. The possibility of a veto-proof senate is titillating.

We can only hope that the cancer known as the republican party will wither and blow away in the wind.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: Balt
If the current polls hold, Barack Obama will win the White House on November 4 and Democrats will consolidate their Congressional majorities, probably with a filibuster-proof Senate or very close to it.

Well no, not really. The odds of a filibuster-proof majority are looking very slim right now. Even if the Dems could pull it off somehow a lot of the new Senate Democrats from 2006 are pretty moderate and aren't necessarily going to vote with the party on anything that's too liberal.

Shh... the Pubs hate it when you even hint at the fact that large numbers of Democrats are moderate or even conservative. They are ALL commies, do you hear? Every last one of them! Rush said so!

It's not about moderate or extremist. There are plenty of moderate Republicans as well. A rubber-stamp Democrat congress and president is no better than a Republican one.

Well, we already just had a Republican rubber-stamp President and Congress, so why not try a Democratic one?

Anyway, I'm not seeing a lot of moderation coming from the Republican camps right now. In fact, even the most moderate Republicans I know of (IRL and online) have been acting a bit reactionary extremist lately. They're running a radical for VP yaknow.

I would think the past 8 years would convince you not to take that path, regardless of the party in power. I guess we'll have a few years to see what the Democrats due with their unstoppable laws.

I would agree with you except for the increasing radicalism of Republican supporters at this time. For too long now, they've been following the party with blind devotion because of irrational fears with regards to the other side. This has essentially given the Republican leadership a blank check to do almost anything, including what they done the past 8 years and yet this election is still relatively close. I fear what will happen to the Pubs if they continue down this path of extremism and apologism.
IMO, this is about having the Pubs take a little time out for their own good. The Dems did it and it worked out well for them.

Not too well for America though...

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I've always been opposed to a single party controlling everything. Let's just hope they don't go overboard...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Conservatives have destroyed America. Bring in the liberals. Sweep the Republican Taliban filth away.

We have been governing with our ass for decades. Time to evolve and start governing with our brains. The future of humanity is evolving with coastal liberals and urban. Get the wonderful but ignorant farmers back on the farm growing corn and the fuck out of the way. Social engineer your pigs. Teach religion to the chickens. The day America is stuck on the toilet seat has passed.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
Gee ... Rupert Murdoch promoting fear of Democrats through the editorial pages of the Wall Street Journal.

Like no one saw this coming ...

Probably an effort to get out the Repub vote.(I.e., you don't have to vote for, but instead against..)

Fern

It's the basic premise it seems in national electoral strategy.

1) Energize the base; and
2) Go negative, attack your opponent and play the Fear Card to suppress turnout (piss off enough people so they will stay home).

Over time it has worked. It didn't work so well in 2006 and it looks to be driving independents to Obama at a 5:3 margin in 2008.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
The future of humanity is evolving with coastal liberals and urban. Get the wonderful but ignorant farmers back on the farm growing corn and the fuck out of the way. Social engineer your pigs. Teach religion to the chickens. The day America is stuck on the toilet seat has passed.
And it is exactly this elitism and contempt for the 'non-enlightened' among you know-it-all liberals which will cause you to trip over your dicks and blow it once again. In fact, I'm counting on you going overboard so that in 2010, Republicans will sweep Congress just like in 1994.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: brencat
The future of humanity is evolving with coastal liberals and urban. Get the wonderful but ignorant farmers back on the farm growing corn and the fuck out of the way. Social engineer your pigs. Teach religion to the chickens. The day America is stuck on the toilet seat has passed.
And it is exactly this elitism and contempt for the 'non-enlightened' among you know-it-all liberals which will cause you to trip over your dicks and blow it once again. In fact, I'm counting on you going overboard so that in 2010, Republicans will sweep Congress just like in 1994.

What part did you object to, me calling farmers wonderful? It won't be contempt or elitism that kills Democrats if they self immolate, it will be cowardliness and lack of faith in a liberal agenda or the stupid idea you can help people with gifts.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Conservatives have destroyed America. Bring in the liberals. Sweep the Republican Taliban filth away.

San Francisco can't fall into the ocean quick enough.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

iirc, after this election democrats would have to lose every incumbent seat in 2010 to give the republicans a majority in the senate. And to be honest, i highly doubt that republicans will have any sort of coherent ideological platform by then.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005

Don't call it my problem when you are reading something in my posts that isn't there. "ALL non-leftists" are not the people who voted Bush/Republicans in power and who are now b*tching about the possibility of dem control. Those hypocrites are who I am referring to.

Well, you weren't specific when you said "you guys have no leg to stand on." I don't want a supermajority. PERIOD.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

iirc, after this election democrats would have to lose every incumbent seat in 2010 to give the republicans a majority in the senate. And to be honest, i highly doubt that republicans will have any sort of coherent ideological platform by then.
Indeed. This election will be of historical significance for the GOP. They'll get their teeth kicked in so hard, they won't be back in power until 2014 or 2016 at the earliest, if that.

It all depends on if they actually purge the cancer from their party or not. Regardless, they'll have a LOT of work ahead of them to change the electoral map back, after Obama converts a lot of red states to blue ones in 2008.