A gem from Newegg reviews

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
After a month and 1/2 since the last post? Nah.

Especially considering what he said in his post.
If he came here all trollish, I would have suspected that he was an AT member, but I don't think that he is at this point.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
You try and hit 100C on a mordern CPU...and stop putting words into my mouth.

its very easy actually (unless the CPU is throttled at a lower temp than that).
And you can go much higher then that and actually burn the chip if you disable thermal throttling.
Having safeties that cut down its speed to a tiny fraction to prevent it going above ~100c (varies by CPU) doesn't justify the "science says" and "fuzzy feeling" and "temp is harmless" comments.

In fact, temp is so dangerous that there are all those safeties (downclock, downvolt, and emergency shutdown... there are 3 separate safeties preventing overheating in place) to prevent it burning out the CPU. Would you say "science says getting electrocuted is harmless because we put circuit breakers everywhere"? No you wouldn't because its a silly thing to say.

Last edited:

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
In my defense, I hadn't built a computer in years. When battlefield 3 came out and I just bought what I thought was the best of everything. The processor didn't come with a heatsink, so I gave it a shot. Didn't work out as planned, so I went out and bought one. If it ruined the processor without a heatsink, I would just order another :)

It wasn't a troll review.

Sure it might be common sense for you guys, but yeah I was indeed "ignorant" of the matter because I haven't kept up with technology in quite awhile. My bad.

KsyFS.png

...This is why you always take Newegg reviews with a huge grain of salt...

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
In my defense, I hadn't built a computer in years. When battlefield 3 came out and I just bought what I thought was the best of everything. The processor didn't come with a heatsink, so I gave it a shot. Didn't work out as planned, so I went out and bought one. If it ruined the processor without a heatsink, I would just order another :)

It wasn't a troll review.

Sure it might be common sense for you guys, but yeah I was indeed "ignorant" of the matter because I haven't kept up with technology in quite awhile. My bad.

Welcome to the forums.

If you hadn't built a computer in years, and you admit you had not kept up with technology in quite a while, then why assign yourself a tech-level of "4 out 5"?

Wouldn't you agree you were firmly a "1 out of 5" at best on this one? I mean come on man, installing a cpu without a heatsink of any kind whatsoever and that set off zero flags of concern for you to "maybe I should just check quickly on the internet to see if this is right" :confused:

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Paradox detected...

No paradox, if you read what I said you would notice that each CPU model is throttled at a different temp.
I have CPUs throttled at 90, 95, 100, and 105c.

You also ignored all my other points.
EDIT: Also you took things out of context... this is about as much of a paradox as the mathematical ones where people prove 1=0

Last edited:

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
I'm glad that he didn't try to water cool it, in that case. xD

"Hello, tech support? Yeah, I'm in the tub with my new PC. The CPU is totally submerged along with my rubber ducky. I'm getting these shocking sensations and some blue and white sparking, but it's not too bad since the fans are producing a jacuzzi effect.."

kylejmck

Feb 17, 2012
First off, a lot of you guys thought my review was a troll. Then you don't even believe that I am the actual reviewer. I searched kylejmck on google which is my name that I use often, even to make music. That's how I found this. Of course I'm goin to defend myself. You all can continue bashing me, which sucks because it is a reminder that even intelligent people on a tech forum can be closed minded to such a simple possibilities. It's not even like I made a mistake. I just did something that wasn't a good idea. I wrote that review just to warn people who might be as absent minded as I was. Every computer I had ever built came with a heatsink and this one didn't. So of course I wondered, but I tried giving it a go without one. And if you wanna think I'm 100% stupid that's fine. But ease off to auto assume everything is troll. You're gonna miss out on some beautiful things. I thought it was pretty cool and saw a lot of humor in the fact that I was able to actually see this and defend myself. You should enjoy it as well.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I believe you. Its the first thing I did when I seen your post.

Its all good man, everyone makes mistakes. I know I have had my fair share of embarrassments.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Don't mind these people. They are petty drooling slobs who dish out hate like it's candy. They aren't the upstanding members of this community like I am.

IntelEnthusiast

Intel Representative
Feb 10, 2011
Just to be clear on this all of the 2nd generation Intel® Core&#8482; processors including the Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition come with built in Thermtrip # set at 130c that will auto shut the processor down so to avoid damaging the processor. So while there is some board and Bios level warnings and shut off I don't believe that you can by pass the Thermtrip # on the processor by switching it off in the Bios (If I am wrong please let me know). Of course if you reach 130c most likely something else will be damaged on your board/system but most likely the processor shouldnt be smoked.

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
First off, a lot of you guys thought my review was a troll. Then you don't even believe that I am the actual reviewer. I searched kylejmck on google which is my name that I use often, even to make music. That's how I found this. Of course I'm goin to defend myself. You all can continue bashing me, which sucks because it is a reminder that even intelligent people on a tech forum can be closed minded to such a simple possibilities. It's not even like I made a mistake. I just did something that wasn't a good idea. I wrote that review just to warn people who might be as absent minded as I was. Every computer I had ever built came with a heatsink and this one didn't. So of course I wondered, but I tried giving it a go without one. And if you wanna think I'm 100% stupid that's fine. But ease off to auto assume everything is troll. You're gonna miss out on some beautiful things. I thought it was pretty cool and saw a lot of humor in the fact that I was able to actually see this and defend myself. You should enjoy it as well.

I give you huge props for coming here and defending yourself in a calm manner. Kudos!

sequoia464

Feb 12, 2003
which sucks because it is a reminder that even intelligent people on a tech forum can be closed minded to such a simple possibilities.

Intelligence doesn't necessarily translate to basic manners and civility, especially on the internet. I also think it's great that you found this thread and showed up to explain.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Kind of interesting you would "give it a go" without looking up the specs on Intel's site to check what cooling accommodations are necessary, given the price of that CPU it would seem like a logical thing to do. Kudos to you showing up here though, fun thread and your a classy dude for sure.

wpcoe

Nov 13, 2007
Kind of a Twilight Zone time warp: Rvenger's post #66 quoting Edrick's post #67. D: :D

pieguy

Feb 15, 2012
We're just jealous that you can afford to "oops" a $1000 CPU.

Man, if somebody is going to take the "I'm just going to buy TEH BEST!!!1" approach whilst being ignorant of how to use it, I would hope that after a $1000 "oops" they would just realize that this hobby probably isn't for them and donate the next $1k to charity. Me Jelly? Sure. He's probably got tri-fire 7970's too.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003

Same as the other guys said, ignore the trolls here, it's obvious by all the "omg he can afford to noob a 1000 cpu" that's it nothing more than jealousy. Shit happens, they're just computer parts. I thought it was kinda cool you came here, especially since fun is made of newegg reviewers pretty commonly lol.

Have fun with your system!

pelov

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2011
I've had something similar to this happen, though not to me.

I went to check out a Q6600 build in a very SFF. The person asked me why the PC wouldn't go past the POST screen without crashing. At first I figured it was just a boot-looping mobo. When I opened up the case I realized there was no HSF installed. The reason given "Because it wouldn't fit." Which was true, as the HSF had no chance in hell of fitting into that small case.

Seems odd to us, but some people just don't know ;/ Kudos for coming in here and explaining your side of the story

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Just to be clear on this all of the 2nd generation Intel® Core&#8482; processors including the Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition come with built in Thermtrip # set at 130c that will auto shut the processor down so to avoid damaging the processor. So while there is some board and Bios level warnings and shut off I don't believe that you can by pass the Thermtrip # on the processor by switching it off in the Bios (If I am wrong please let me know). Of course if you reach 130c most likely something else will be damaged on your board/system but most likely the processor shouldnt be smoked.
Indeed. Kudos to Intel. Only the better built boards can survive such heat.

Last edited: