A gem from Newegg reviews

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
Regarding the new Core i7 3960X:
kylejmck said:
Pros: Simply amazing. Can handle anything you throw at it.

Cons: Does not come with a stock heatsink at all. Runs to about 70c within a matter of seconds without a heatsink. Runs around 32-34 idle once I installed the corsair H100.

It's expensive, but you should already know that.

You gotta love Newegg reviewers. :)

Last edited:

lOl_lol_lOl

Oct 7, 2011
lol guys, he was testing to see if the chip works before going through the trouble of installing the cooler.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Nice way to roast a $1,000 processor.

How often does someone get a bad processor? LOL

Went through the hassle of building the computer he could at least go through the hassle of installing the phucking h100 cooler and then hit the switch...

cessation

Jan 9, 2003
Can only hope they're trolling. :p

They probably are, about 8 years ago I remember working on a PC and the heatsink wasn't really on right. I was tired as hell and thought I used the clips on the heatsink but I guess I didn't, the PC was on it's side so the heatsink didn't fall off. After I thought I had the heatsink on I tried turning the system on, it would come on for a second then just turn off. Which makes me think there's some sort of pressure sensor on motherboards to make sure the heatsink is on right. Maybe there isn't but the PC came on fine right after I installed the heatsink correctly...

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
They probably are, about 8 years ago I remember working on a PC and the heatsink wasn't really on right. I was tired as hell and thought I used the clips on the heatsink but I guess I didn't, the PC was on it's side so the heatsink didn't fall off. After I thought I had the heatsink on I tried turning the system on, it would come on for a second then just turn off. Which makes me think there's some sort of pressure sensor on motherboards to make sure the heatsink is on right. Maybe there isn't but the PC came on fine right after I installed the heatsink correctly...

It didn't start because the contact wasn't good enough on the CPU and it overheated and crashed the system.

No CPU or motherboard has a pressure sensor.

ThatsABigOne

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
double-facepalm.jpg

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
hey that was me! ... nah, I'd never buy a 1k chip w/o a decent aftermarket cooler. But it is funny to see people do this. Actually I recently recommended a friend to buy a pre-built 2600k rig and she called me up and asked why there's a 'wind blowing' sound when you turn it on, I said it was the fan. Then she called me next day and was totally freaked out and said I've got to go take a look at it because she 'sees only empty space' in the case, she thought the company scammed her and didn't give her the parts. ;]

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That's pretty cool without a heatsink. Most likely hitting the 91C throttle temp within a couple seconds. The temp was probably recorded using an external BS-O-Meter. A lot of people on this forum use it.

cessation

Jan 9, 2003
It didn't start because the contact wasn't good enough on the CPU and it overheated and crashed the system.

No CPU or motherboard has a pressure sensor.

No the system wouldn't even come on for more than a second. It was a big heavy heatsink so it was making contact. I'm pretty sure a CPU isn't going to hit the max temp in one second with a heavy heatsink sitting on top of it. Hell I bet it wouldn't hit the max temp with no heatsink in one second.

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
haha get it, the money to BURN.

Uhh I really hate people and wish there were no such things as thermal shut down temps so people could actually catch these on fire like the good ol days.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
No the system wouldn't even come on for more than a second. It was a big heavy heatsink so it was making contact. I'm pretty sure a CPU isn't going to hit the max temp in one second with a heavy heatsink sitting on top of it. Hell I bet it wouldn't hit the max temp with no heatsink in one second.

Troll