"A Few Good Men" quote really hits home for me

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: flavio
Originally posted by: Staley8
Originally posted by: Staley8
Originally posted by: Marshallj
Hearing a healthy, wealthy, well fed person speaking out against war just doesn't seem right to me. They already have everything they need, they are already enjoying the fruits of someone else's labor.

I want to hear a sickly, malnourished, impoverished person from a needy country speak out against war. Let's see if they think "the good life" is not worth fighting for.

Again with that "All wars are good" thing?

Our "good life" was not baing threatened by Iraq. In fact we just lost a big tax cut because of it. We would have had more "good life" without it.

So you care about youself and that's it huh? If you have a large amount of money and get a nice tax cut while thousands of human beings die b/c they happened to be born in under a terrible regime that's fine with you. As long as you live the "good life" who cares about humanity right? I hope that the good life is yanked away from people like you and then nobody comes to your aid.

I think that "Operation Iraqi Freedom" is marketing name that you have fallen for. This war is not about "liberating" Iraqis. I believe most Iraqis do not want us "liberating" them. But I suppose you don't really care about what they want do you?

Flavio you are guessing just the same as I am as to whether or not the Iraqis want us "liberating" them. I belive that they do and you believe that they don't. The only way to prove that would be to talk to them and I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. My point was that you are complaining about not getting your big tax cut while soldiers and innocent Iraqis are dying. I hope your "good life" is worth it, all I'm asking for is a little respect and thanks for the soldiers.

I could give a crap about the tax cut. The point was directed at Marshalj because he said war helps the US live the "good life". As for the soldiers, they're not the problem. It's the people telling them what to do.

Ok, I got it now, it just seemed as though you were only looking out for yourself and your good life, but I see your explanation now. And I do not have a problem with people like you who support the troops but are against those telling them what to do. I may totally disagree but we each have our reasons and we both support the troops. I just can't handle those who don't support our men and women fighting.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
I think that "Operation Iraqi Freedom" is marketing name that you have fallen for. This war is not about "liberating" Iraqis. I believe most Iraqis do not want us "liberating" them.

I agree with you on this. I think that it's typical propaganda, making it look like a just cause.

But I am not against the war because Iraq is a competitor and we have interests in the region that Iraq threatens. I know a lot of people will say that the oil has nothing to do with it, but I disagree. I think oil has everything to do with it. We don't need sand, we need the precious oil that's under it. Liberating the Iraqi people is just going to be a side effect of crushing the regime that competes with us. But they're surely not our primary concern.

The way I look at it, in any ecosystem you have a limited supply of food/resources and a bunch of organisms fighting over those resources. Regardless of whether it's ants in an ant farm, lions in the savanna, or countries on the planet, they will always fight over what the land has to offer. It's instinctual.

Yes, humans should be able to realize this and cooperate, but we're not doing a very good job. As long as you have someone wanting what someone else has, you'll always have conflict, it's inevitable.