A chronicle: Media question honesty of Bush administration

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Enjoyed your rant, bowfinger. Was with you on all points. With such accuracy you must be a stringwalker.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: charrison
I am sure if the WMD do turn, you will be the first to claim they were planted by the admin....

Way to (not so) deftly change the subject. You ignore my point and simply shift the conversation to one of your choosing. You'd be a great addition to the High School Forensics team ...

Couple of AL queda camps in northern iraq taken out.
Couple of wanted internation terrorist in custody
Documents about Al Quedia /Iraqi goverment meetings.
Payments for palastenian suicide bombers
Hundreds of suicide bomb vests discovered

But I know none of this will convince you.

Links?

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mastertech01
Originally posted by: konichiwa
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
6k number is a projection as:

1) Hospitals are full of people that have been injured - and some are still dying.
2) They haven't dug out the rubble - yet.
3) We are not even trying to count Iraqi Civilians.
4) People are still being shot.
5) We are going to be there for quite a while longer.
6) More are going to die - on both sides.

Check back in a couple years when the details are know.

I wonder how many tens of thousands of shallow graves they still have to find and uncover from the regime?

Again you use this pointless circular logic to justify the American offensive. Saddam kills people, so we can kill a few to make him not be able to kill people any more? Fallacy in its purest form.

Isnt this the same circular logic used in WWII? In virtually all wars? You kill masses, we kill your henchment and whomever unfortunate enought to be in harms way, to kill your ass, so you cant continue to kill many more masses. Seems to be the way it has worked since the first war.

Point taken, but let's not forget that the reason we were given for this war was "danger to the American people" and "weapons of mass destruction." Neither of which have been proven or come to term. We have yet to find WMD, and a direct threat to the American people can be found in countless countries across the world (even our allies), so one has to question our jump to regime change in Iraq, while others (Egypt, Pakistan to name a few) go untouched and even aided.

Not to mention the fact that as of yet I have seen no conclusive proof to show that Iraq was a direct threat to the US. Other than a meeting with al-Qaeda(?) and a vial of something that Colin Powell seemed to be "sure" was in Iraq in mass quantities, which we still haven't found.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Bush hasnt accomplished ANYTHING in his life? Man you better tune in to the real world before you get left out. And he nor you nor I have to account for everything we have done since birth. He is the President and is accountable for what he does NOW.

Like I said in an earlier thread, the only reason Bush SR didnt do a second term was due to Perot, and there will be NO Perot to take it from him this time. The only thing he can do to cause failure next time around is fail to out smart the liberal press or do shoot himself in the foot. As of now his unbeatable because the dems spent way too much time on the wrong side of the fence before the war, all of them stepping on thier dicks, and yes even Hillary stepped on HER DICK!

If the Liberals had kept thier whining asses shut till the war was over they may have made some ground but now all they can do is make fools of themselves defending thier positions that sent thier futures to hell. All they have left is the moanings of what anyone can find posted on any third world publication.. distortions and lies. Talk about Bush lieing? Look at the hoards bearing false witness to get thier foot in the door without removing the dog poop from thier soles first!

Surely I am exaggerating here and not EVERYONE is guilty, but this is just a tiny taste of the blather that the liberals spew out about the administration... it tastes no better is no less true.

Official Policy of Liberals in USA.... If it looks like poop and smells like poop, stir it up!!

Official Policy of Conservatives in USA... If it looks like poop and smells like poop, flush it!
Flush!

(Does that make me a conservative?)

Well, that was an interesting spew. No content, and you didn't answer one of my questions, but I hope you feel better.

Two points. First, don't count your chickens. For all the reasons I mentioned, Bush is vulnerable. Without the war to distract us, Bush is going to have to start accounting for his performance. His performance stinks. Unless he launches another war or we have another 9/11 soon, Bush is going to find that the honeymoon is ending. As I pointed out in the three articles that started this thread, the press is starting to speak up. Even many Bush supporters acknowledge that he's not very bright and he plays loose with the truth. Those aren't the best credentials for the most powerful job in the world.

Second, you scoffed when I said Bush had never accomplished anything. OK, I'll bite. Give me a few examples of what he has accomplished - without handouts from daddy and his friends.

Hey glad you flushed, that means you are a conservative. If I have to post links to what Bush has accomplished and you are totally without clue, frankly Ill pass. I dont teach kindergarten.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I am sure if the WMD do turn, you will be the first to claim they were planted by the admin....

Way to (not so) deftly change the subject. You ignore my point and simply shift the conversation to one of your choosing. You'd be a great addition to the High School Forensics team ...

This is only after you so deftly said I was ignoring the fact that no WMD may be found because I said they more time than 1 month to search over 2000 sites and interview scientists. For this I doubt you could make a Jr High Janitorial crew.

Couple of AL queda camps in northern iraq taken out.
Couple of wanted internation terrorist in custody
Documents about Al Quedia /Iraqi goverment meetings.
Payments for palastenian suicide bombers
Hundreds of suicide bomb vests discovered

But I know none of this will convince you.

Links?

There is a search button on here, cnn.com, foxnews and the bbc. May I be the first to suggest that you use them.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"Good point. We also lost more in Vietnam, more in Korea, more in each World War, the Civil War, and the Revolutionary War. We lose more people in traffic accidents each year. We lose more people to heart disease each year. Heck, we lose more people to old age each year."

"All of which has absolutely NOTHING to do with Iraq!"

You missed the point, then. They simply didn't lose many civilians. THAT'S the point!

"Get it through your head, hindsight is 20-20. GW pushed this war on the grounds of WMD, and now that he can't find any he's shimmied over to putting more emphasis on the issue of "liberating the Iraqi people." You, and I, and the rest of the American public are being manipulated and you refuse to open your eyes."

It was, and is, about Hussein's non-compliance. WMDs WILL be found. But if CaptnKirk wants to keep using these retarded methods to prove that the civilian deaths will be three times higher than they actually are, I have every right to use ridiculous methods to prove they won't. 2,650 is the current number, with a link from a source biased against the coalition. That ain't many!

"So what is his attraction? You would raise holy hell about a Democrat with any one of these flaws. Look at Clinton. He lied about sex - just like everyone else - and you crucified him."

He won the primaries, he gets to run for the top job. That's it. He'll forward the GOP's agenda. That is all. It ain't complicated. We put Dole up for election, a man of the highest character and intellect. That sure went over well.
rolleye.gif
You can't win your issues if you can't get elected.

Clinton sexually harassed Jones, then figured he could get away with it. It was his party that pushed for these lame ass sexual harassment laws in the first place! That he got strung up by his own petards is what I'd call justice. He SO deserved it!
:D

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
If I have to post links to what Bush has accomplished and you are totally without clue, frankly Ill pass. I dont teach kindergarten.

That's too bad. If you truly believe in Bush so strongly, you're missing a chance to stand up for your man, maybe educate a few of us in the process. I've never heard that he's accomplished anything without dad's connections, but I'm no expert. Think about it, see what you can come up with.

By the way, I sincerely don't get what people see in him, and I'd really like to understand.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Ornery
"So what is his attraction? You would raise holy hell about a Democrat with any one of these flaws. Look at Clinton. He lied about sex - just like everyone else - and you crucified him."

He won the primaries, he gets to run for the top job. That's it. He'll forward the GOP's agenda. That is all. It ain't complicated. We put Dole up for election, a man of the highest character and intellect. That sure went over well.
rolleye.gif
You can't win your issues if you can't get elected.

That's all true, but it doesn't answer my question. What do people see in him? Why did he win the primaries? What's the attraction? I'm not trying to bait anyone; I'm trying to figure out why people support him in spite of all of the flaws and issues so many of us see. Is it blind party loyalty, or is there something else?

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ornery"Get it through your head, hindsight is 20-20. GW pushed this war on the grounds of WMD, and now that he can't find any he's shimmied over to putting more emphasis on the issue of "liberating the Iraqi people." You, and I, and the rest of the American public are being manipulated and you refuse to open your eyes."

It was, and is, about Hussein's non-compliance. WMDs WILL be found.

Glad to hear it from a qualified Lieutenant Brigadier Armchair General such as yourself. Your hubris is laughable.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
"Good point. We also lost more in Vietnam, more in Korea, more in each World War, the Civil War, and the Revolutionary War. We lose more people in traffic accidents each year. We lose more people to heart disease each year. Heck, we lose more people to old age each year."

You missed the point, then. They simply didn't lose many civilians. THAT'S the point!

If that's really your point, you chose a terribly callous way to trivialize the deaths of thousands of innocent people.

I thought you might be one of the many gullible people who bought into Bush's lie about Iraq's connection to 9/11. Glad to hear you're not.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Beats me too. I just vote for the candidate(s) who are going to pass or veto the same issues I would.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Ornery"Get it through your head, hindsight is 20-20. GW pushed this war on the grounds of WMD, and now that he can't find any he's shimmied over to putting more emphasis on the issue of "liberating the Iraqi people." You, and I, and the rest of the American public are being manipulated and you refuse to open your eyes."

Glad to hear it from a qualified Lieutenant Brigadier Armchair General such as yourself. Your hubris is laughable.

This coming from the a qualified Lieutenant Brigadier Armchair General who claims they wont be found. Your hubris is laughable.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Moonbeam, The Kingdom of Christ is not of this Earth.. He will, as I understand it, return and then all Hell will break loose... I'll not be here to see it... wonder If there is HDTV in Heaven??? or even if I'll care???

Athanasuis, You postulate a query with a differnce... Clinton action was legal... Bush action illegal... if you agree to the rule of international law and the UN... The outcome of an illegal act is subordinated to its illegality... think about the holder in due course of some benifit or other that originally was illegaly taken from the original holder... It gets a bit sticky but the rule of law must prevail over anything here on Earth..

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

This coming from the a qualified Lieutenant Brigadier Armchair General who claims they wont be found. Your hubris is laughable.

Never have I said that they "wont be found." Only that they haven't yet, which, until they are (or aren't), serves only to discredit the US in the international community. Nice try though.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Never have I said that they "wont be found." Only that they haven't yet, which, until they are (or aren't), serves only to discredit the US in the international community. Nice try though.

And in your constant opinion they wont be found and anyone who claims they will be found is wrong. Right now they have not been found, some here think they will, some dont. Neither party is wrong at this point.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

And in your constant opinion they wont be found and anyone who claims they will be found is wrong. Right now they have not been found, some here think they will, some dont. Neither party is wrong at this point.

Again, nor have I ever said that they "won't be found." Are you capable of arguing a point without claiming your adversary has said things that he hasn't in order to make your side of the argument easier to prove?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Again, nor have I ever said that they "won't be found." Are you capable of arguing a point without claiming your adversary has said things that he hasn't in order to make your side of the argument easier to prove?

You right, I should take up your simple tactic of ad hom on those that I disagree with.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
It's ok that Bush mislead us, Ashcroft make laws that violate civil liberties, and Cheney excercise control of government information by reclassifying recently declassified documents. They do it in the name of America, and freedom!

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
You right, I should take up your simple tactic of ad hom on those that I disagree with.

With all due respect, you already seem pretty proficient in ad hominem attacks.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Care to elaborate? If anything I'd say your arguments are ad hom while mine stick to logic.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Enjoyed your rant, bowfinger. Was with you on all points. With such accuracy you must be a stringwalker.

Thanks. And thanks for your link to the NY Times article. I've been spending too much time here; falling behind in my reading.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

If that's really your point, you chose a terribly callous way to trivialize the deaths of thousands of innocent people.

I thought you might be one of the many gullible people who bought into Bush's lie about Iraq's connection to 9/11. Glad to hear you're not.
He's still got links to terrorism:...but that was only the #2 reason for cutting his legs out from under him.

"...trivialize the deaths of thousands of innocent people."

Is it conceivable this war could have been won with fewer civilian deaths? 9-11 drove home the point that scum like Hussein and his terrorist kin, don't need much reason or weapons to inflict a LOT of damage instantly. He was given every opportunity and years to avoid bloodshed and sanctions. Why give the POS any more time? Why should we risk it? Again, he could have avoided ALL of this!

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

He's still got links to terrorism:...but that was only the #2 reason for cutting his legs out from under him.

"The documents do not mention whether any meeting took place between bin Laden and Iraqi officials, the newspaper said."

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You spuds and the quote button
rolleye.gif

"The documents do not mention whether any meeting took place between bin Laden and Iraqi officials, the newspaper said."

Don't tell me, let me guess. "Again, nor have I ever said that the connection "won't be found."

IMO, it speaks for itself:
  • The paper said the documents show that the purpose of the meeting was to establish a relationship between Baghdad and al-Qaida based on their mutual hatred of the United States and Saudi Arabia.

The meeting went so well that it was extended by a week and ended with arrangements being discussed for bin Laden to visit Baghdad, the newspaper said.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

Minor quibbles on two points, but I mostly agree with you. First, (from that article) Iraq wasn't really "funding terrorists" as you suggest; they were rewarding the families of suicide bombers. They aren't the only ones doing this, but it is certainly reprehensible behavior. Second, the "direct Iraq-Al Qaida Links" is only one link so far, and it's not clear what, if anything became of it. It is a significant discovery and I am really interested in seeing what more they find.

"...trivialize the deaths of thousands of innocent people."

Is it conceivable this war could have been won with fewer civilian deaths? 9-11 drove home the point that scum like Hussein and his terrorist kin, don't need much reason or weapons to inflict a LOT of damage instantly. He was given every opportunity and years to avoid bloodshed and sanctions. Why give the POS any more time? Why should we risk it? Again, he could have avoided ALL of this!

Sorry, in my book, two wrongs don't make a right. Yes, Hussein was scum, but how does that justify the U.S. killing and maiming thousands of innocent men, women, and children whose only crime was being in the wrong place at the wrong time? Saddam was evil, but his people paid the price. Even if the net effect is fewer Iraqi deaths over the next ten years, that blood is on our hands. Of course, if we can't stabilize the situation in Iraq and it degenerates into a civil war, there may be hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqis.

Time was on our side. There was no imminent danger. There was no reason to rush to war. (IMO, of course.)