A blizzard in the middle of April? WTF?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Corbett
Global warming. Believe it, because the experts say so lol...

Looks like we found another person who doesn't understand global warming :laugh:

mooglekit

Jul 1, 2003
Took me 2 hours to get to work this morning..normally takes 45...grrr....stupid MN drivers...yes, there is snow on the grass, yes, it is snowing at the moment, NO, the ROADS ARE NOT SLICK....grrr

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
It has snowed every month of the year where I live ... it snowed in August a couple of years ago :D

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
the only good thing is timeing. my heater had to be replaced. had a new one installed yesterday. we had to replace a 60k/btu gas furnace with a 95k/btu one.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: mooglekit
Took me 2 hours to get to work this morning..normally takes 45...grrr....stupid MN drivers...yes, there is snow on the grass, yes, it is snowing at the moment, NO, the ROADS ARE NOT SLICK....grrr

Stupid MN drivers, indeed! It took me a half hour to get to work. Normally it takes 5 minutes.

?!?!

Aug 10, 2001
The fact that's it's snowing in Chicago in April does not prove or disprove global warming. I personally believe that those who say that a snowy day in April is proof of the global extremes caused by global warming are a little more whacko than those who try to use the same aforementioned day to disprove global warming.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Random Variable
The fact that's it's snowing in Chicago in April does not prove or disprove global warming. I personally believe that those who say that a snowy day in April is proof of the global extremes caused by global warming are a little more whacko than those who try to use the same aforementioned day to disprove global warming.

I don't know how global warming even came up in a discussion about weather in a small region of the world :confused:

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
the only good thing is timeing. my heater had to be replaced. had a new one installed yesterday. we had to replace a 60k/btu gas furnace with a 95k/btu one.

Why such a jump?

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: jman19

Looks like we found another person who doesn't understand global warming :laugh:

I understand global warming.. or at least what 'experts' claim to be global warming. But, I am just flat out not convinced that a) it is caused by humans and b) that the Earth is actually getting warmer than it's ever been.

MX2

Lifer
Apr 11, 2004
Snow in April is par for the course...well, here anyway. Expecting quite a doozy this weekend apparently

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: brxndxn

I understand global warming.. or at least what 'experts' claim to be global warming. But, I am just flat out not convinced that a) it is caused by humans and b) that the Earth is actually getting warmer than it's ever been.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree a lot of the ideas about what is causing GW are up for debate, but Corbett appears to be attacking the notion of increased tempatures world wide, which seems to be well accepted. Regardless of that, snow in Illinois in April really has nothing to do with GW, does it?

Kniteman77

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2004
So April isn't broken just here . . . Minneapolis is getting dumped on too.

"Yes, NewEgg? I'd like to RMA the month of April."

I think return shipping would kill the deal on that one.

Oh, and it was in the teens all last week here, and upper 60's/low 70's the week before that. . . .quite messed up.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Kniteman77
So April isn't broken just here . . . Minneapolis is getting dumped on too.

"Yes, NewEgg? I'd like to RMA the month of April."

I think return shipping would kill the deal on that one.

Oh, and it was in the teens all last week here, and upper 60's/low 70's the week before that. . . .quite messed up.

Here in Minneapolis it will be back up to 60s by Sunday or Monday, haha.

Pissed me off, too, because it snowed on my birthday. (April 10th)

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
When will you people understand the term "global warming" is erroneously and simplistically used instead of "climate change" ?

Although the overall direction is towards "more heat", the weather will be going from one extreme to another in various ares of the planet, like a pendulum slowly extending its movement.

Never fear: it snows in April, but this summer will probably have record droughts and possibly another series of power black-outs.

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
I understand what you're saying, and I agree a lot of the ideas about what is causing GW are up for debate, but Corbett appears to be attacking the notion of increased tempatures world wide, which seems to be well accepted. Regardless of that, snow in Illinois in April really has nothing to do with GW, does it?

It does if it's related to higher water temperatures in the Pacific causing stronger storms to occur later in the season (basically, more frequent and stronger El Nino years).

I'm not saying that is necessarily the case, but very little weather is truly "local". While you can't say that April snowstorms by themselves are evidence of global warming/climate change, they're not evidence of a lack of it either.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MedicBob
Wisconsin...

Great just what I wanted for April. Snow, freezing rain, wind, and freezing temps.

Why do any of us live in the Midwest?

I live in Wisconsin to get f'ed over by the tax man.

Ausm

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Ausm
Wisconsin...

Great just what I wanted for April. Snow, freezing rain, wind, and freezing temps.

Ausm

Try living in MN.

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: brxndxn

good for you, it's still bad for us regardless

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: LordMaul
Yeah....thank you, Chicago. :|

I have been in florida for the last 3 weeks. woot! Screw you peeps still left in Chicago, I don't care. It's 75 and sunny now :D

mooglekit

Jul 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Auryg
Originally posted by: Ausm
Wisconsin...

Ausm

Try living in MN.

QFT...and with the group that just got put into the state house and senate, my 8-ball keeps saying "Outlook not Good"...