A blizzard in the middle of April? WTF?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
11,216
651
126
Originally posted by: Matthias99
Originally posted by: jman19
I understand what you're saying, and I agree a lot of the ideas about what is causing GW are up for debate, but Corbett appears to be attacking the notion of increased tempatures world wide, which seems to be well accepted. Regardless of that, snow in Illinois in April really has nothing to do with GW, does it?
It does if it's related to higher water temperatures in the Pacific causing stronger storms to occur later in the season (basically, more frequent and stronger El Nino years).

I'm not saying that is necessarily the case, but very little weather is truly "local". While you can't say that April snowstorms by themselves are evidence of global warming/climate change, they're not evidence of a lack of it either.
Yea, and I never said that there was evidence or that there wasn't evidence - just that you can't say anything really about GW based on snow in Illinois in April. Doesn't seem too far fetched to me actually. It was 60+ degrees on the east coast in December, which doesn't really happen all that often either.

And yes, I am aware that weather is a global event, which is exactly why I said you shouldn't take one data point and extrapolate an opinion based on it.
 

sierrita

Senior member
Mar 24, 2002
929
0
0
Originally posted by: mooglekit
Took me 2 hours to get to work this morning..normally takes 45...grrr....stupid MN drivers...yes, there is snow on the grass, yes, it is snowing at the moment, NO, the ROADS ARE NOT SLICK....grrr
Just remember...everyone else on the road is the problem, not you.
 

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
25,215
14
81

mooglekit

Senior member
Jul 1, 2003
616
0
0
Originally posted by: sierrita
Originally posted by: mooglekit
Took me 2 hours to get to work this morning..normally takes 45...grrr....stupid MN drivers...yes, there is snow on the grass, yes, it is snowing at the moment, NO, the ROADS ARE NOT SLICK....grrr
Just remember...everyone else on the road is the problem, not you.
Have you ever driven in MN? I have to deal with the commute every morning...there really are some terrible drivers, and if it rains/snows/clouds over it just gets worse...

Now if I could only get everyone to leave again like last week when most of the schools were on spring break...that was great! :D
 

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 9, 1999
50,422
8
81
It happens.

Certainly nothing to be alarmed about, and certainly nothing to base climate change on.
 

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
30,990
5
81
I hope it is better this year, or I am in Florida again :)
 

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
60,260
8,413
136
I saw the title and wondered what kind of fucking moron thought it was April...then, once I saw the original post date, I wondered what kind of fucking moron bumps a weather thread that's almost a year old...
 

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
25,162
1
81
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I saw the title and wondered what kind of fucking moron thought it was April...then, once I saw the original post date, I wondered what kind of fucking moron bumps a weather thread that's almost a year old...
Thank you for this refreshing new outlook on this thread, one that has definitely not been posted three times above you.
 

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
42,816
83
91
it's been a relatively mild winter so far in the NE, and I'm hoping it stays like that.

St. Patrick's Day weekend is usually my unofficial marker for the end of winter.
 

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
41,599
18
81
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I saw the title and wondered what kind of fucking moron thought it was April...then, once I saw the original post date, I wondered what kind of fucking moron bumps a weather thread that's almost a year old...
A senior fucking moron moderator, it would seem. One who hopefully doesn't use the fucking moron vacation button. :Q



(I kid, I kid! Don't kill me!)



Evadman: Don't come to Erie, or anywhere else near a big damn lake. Big body of water + high humidity year-round + below freezing temperatures = a constant delicious frosty coating every morning in winter. Lake effect snow......it really sucks, unless you never want to drive anywhere.
 

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
30,990
5
81
Originally posted by: Jeff7
A senior fucking moron moderator, it would seem. One who hopefully doesn't use the fucking moron vacation button. :Q
The vacation button is very intelligent, I will have you know.

Don't come to Erie, or anywhere else near a big damn lake.
Like the big on I live right next to? Lake Erie is 116 cubic miles. Mine is 1,180. Lake Erie is a puddle :)
 

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
7,671
1
0
It's not April here in Massachusetts yet...

Edit: Fuck, this is from last year?!!?! Who went through the trouble of resurrecting an "OMG ITS SNOWING" thread?!
 

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
28,799
358
126
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
It's not April here in Massachusetts yet...

Edit: Fuck, this is from last year?!!?! Who went through the trouble of resurrecting an "OMG ITS SNOWING" thread?!
I came in to say "April? huh? :confused:" but then saw the date of the OP... and now I leave. :(
 

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
11,757
0
71
Originally posted by: Evadman
I hope it is better this year, or I am in Florida again :)
I quote you for all to see who brought back to life this fucking thread. Shame on you Evadman, shame on you!
 

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
12,575
0
76
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Evadman: Don't come to Erie, or anywhere else near a big damn lake. Big body of water + high humidity year-round + below freezing temperatures = a constant delicious frosty coating every morning in winter. Lake effect snow......it really sucks, unless you never want to drive anywhere.
don't come to buffalo.
 

Apathetic

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
2,587
6
81
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I saw the title and wondered what kind of fucking moron thought it was April...then, once I saw the original post date, I wondered what kind of fucking moron bumps a weather thread that's almost a year old...
A senior fucking moron moderator, it would seem. One who hopefully doesn't use the fucking moron vacation button. :Q



(I kid, I kid! Don't kill me!)



Evadman: Don't come to Erie, or anywhere else near a big damn lake. Big body of water + high humidity year-round + below freezing temperatures = a constant delicious frosty coating every morning in winter. Lake effect snow......it really sucks, unless you never want to drive anywhere.
You live in Erie? I grew up in Millcreek. I moved down to Raleigh about 8 years ago. The people down here have absolutely no idea what cold really is. My "winter jacket" is nothing more than a windbreaker.

I miss snow, but I sure as hell don't miss shoveling it.

Dave
 

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
41,746
1,941
126
Originally posted by: Exterous
I was really confused about the topic title until I saw the post date
Yeah, I was too. I was like---uhhhh...was this guy in a coma or something?
 

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
16,930
7
81
I thought you couldn't post to threads after they were past a certain date.... Guess that date must be really far back eh?
 

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
49,958
642
126
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
I thought you couldn't post to threads after they were past a certain date.... Guess that date must be really far back eh?
Someone must have set it to not archive.
 

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
60,260
8,413
136
Originally posted by: Jeff7

A senior fucking moron moderator, it would seem. One who hopefully doesn't use the fucking moron vacation button. :Q



(I kid, I kid! Don't kill me!)


That's what threw me...the Mods are USUALLY much more cognizant of things than this...
Maybe Evadman was having a senior moment...:D
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY