a 8' 2x4 is over 10 bucks now :o

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I paid ~$50 for a 8'x6"x6" treated beam a week ago. Landscape timbers (which are basically made from garbage wood) cost me ~$5.50 apiece... which is actually half of what I expected. All in all, my yard project came in at half the cost I told Mrs. Ned it would be... so win!

So, more climbing wall?

Feb 4, 2009
Tomorrow or maybe late afternoon today I will be putting together one sawhorse. I was able to get a bundle of five non pressure treated 2x4s about 36” long for $10.
I forgot what it was labeled as but it was something like “project” wood. The bundled boards are knotty and not super good quality but should work fine for what I need.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
So, more climbing wall?

No - actually the original owner of my house made several flower beds out of landscape timbers (and 1 6"x6" beam). Over the years they've rotted and looked terrible... so I finally replaced them.

I *do* want to finish out my climbing wall though. I still have another vertical 6' of telephone pole on which I can build. Maybe after lumber prices come down some more.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, I recently paid $15 for an 8 foot long 2x10 board. That seemed kinda salty, but compared to what I see on Lowe's for that board (that's actually in stock) it now seems like a bargain.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Down to $4.98 now, still high but not as high as earlier in the year. I don't really remember what they were pre covid, like 2 something I think.

Plywood still seems very expensive though, I was not tracking it as much but I know it hit close to $100 for a 3/4" board at one point. Still around $82 for that. 1/2" which is more typical to buy is $56. I'm pretty sure that was more like $20 something before.

Lot of people on FB selling rough cut lumber that they've milled themselves, so right now it still makes more sense to buy from those people. If you need sheets it's best to just rethick how you build and use planks. Install them at an angle so you give the structure more rigidity. If you want to go all out pass them through the table saw to create a tongue and grove so you don't have cracks between.

I'm thinking of starting on my water tower and outhouse this year at my homestead property, just something crude and probably temporary so don't want to put much money into it. I'm not setup to mill my own lumber yet but I will probably just use logs. When using non engineered lumber just overbuild everything and it's still cheaper. :p

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Down to $4.98 now, still high but not as high as earlier in the year. I don't really remember what they were pre covid, like 2 something I think.

Plywood still seems very expensive though, I was not tracking it as much but I know it hit close to $100 for a 3/4" board at one point. Still around $82 for that. 1/2" which is more typical to buy is $56. I'm pretty sure that was more like $20 something before.

Lot of people on FB selling rough cut lumber that they've milled themselves, so right now it still makes more sense to buy from those people. If you need sheets it's best to just rethick how you build and use planks. Install them at an angle so you give the structure more rigidity. If you want to go all out pass them through the table saw to create a tongue and grove so you don't have cracks between.

I'm thinking of starting on my water tower and outhouse this year at my homestead property, just something crude and probably temporary so don't want to put much money into it. I'm not setup to mill my own lumber yet but I will probably just use logs. When using non engineered lumber just overbuild everything and it's still cheaper. :p
$4.98 Candian? Isn't that like a buck fiddy in US dollars? That's cheaper than the prices 10 years ago here!

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Will probably drop back to normal soon.

Nov 20, 2009
The June numbers for new home sales (not resales) had plummeted so I would imagine this is the byproduct.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I want to build a new deck, but it won't be used that much. More than anything, I just want a wide pathway with legit safety rails and then a place where you could have seating and maybe a fire pit. At a minimum, the project will include a 4' wide, 20' long pathway is really the only requirement because the boardwalk will go over uneven ground and sinkholes. On the upper side, I want a tiered deck....but maybe I don't need that much there.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I wanted to finish my deck, but with price of lumber, no way lol. I did the platform and the posts last year with lumber I bought the year before at normal prices.

I'm tempted to sell the deck for parts and buy a Tesla though.
Looks good. Make sure you get some water seal with stain on there to prolong its life. We try to do that every other year.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Damn, I’m never getting a new fence now.
My neighbor wants to replace the deteriorated wooden fence between our properties with a cyclone fence (I assume, chain link), wants me to go see the one at the back of his property and see if I approve. I told him I'd go 50-50 on it. Haven't had a look at his back fence yet (this was a week ago). I suppose a cyclone makes sense, it won't rot. There's one on the other side of my lot. It does get vegetation growing on/through it that I need to cut back periodically, including ivy. Ivy just seems hell of hardy, doesn't matter how bad the drought is.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
My neighbor wants to replace the deteriorated wooden fence between our properties with a cyclone fence (I assume, chain link), wants me to go see the one at the back of his property and see if I approve. I told him I'd go 50-50 on it. Haven't had a look at his back fence yet (this was a week ago). I suppose a cyclone makes sense, it won't rot. There's one on the other side of my lot. It does get vegetation growing on/through it that I need to cut back periodically, including ivy. Ivy just seems hell of hardy, doesn't matter how bad the drought is.

Those are banned by the HOA. I think I can do iron bars but no “zig zag” chain link.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
lol HOAs. So glad I don't live in one of those dictatorships. City bylaws are bad enough as is last thing I'd want is yet another layer of legislation.

Reactions: Muse

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Ticker LBS - September futures in Chicago fell as much as 4.4% to $482.90 per thousand board feet, the lowest for a most-active contract since Oct. 30. Prices have dropped more than 70% from the record high reached just three months ago.

1628896394154.png

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
There are still selected problems. I was looking for some yellow pine (good hardness value) to build a top for my standing desk frame (finally). No joy - seems like anything wider than 2x4 is either OOS or $$$.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
lol HOAs. So glad I don't live in one of those dictatorships. City bylaws are bad enough as is last thing I'd want is yet another layer of legislation.
Ups on that! Being a rebel kind of guy I'd probably be in trouble with a HOA sooner than later!

My quote for today:
The only person who got everything done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe. :colbert:

I knew lumber would fall pretty soon. I hired a craftsman for the first time in my life ~3 months ago and told him that. He disagreed, but he saw it all from his own point of view. He figured everything's going up, up, up... (to justify his charging me so much). Next plumbing issue I had (toughie) I stuck through, didn't call a plumber.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
HOAs are immortal companies in which a trio of people and often a property management company become tyrannical "lords" over the populace.

And transparency is limited to only "the community", so outsiders can not even do the equivalent of FOIA on their records. Fiduciary irresponsibility is systemically enabled.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Both of my rentals are in hoa's. 1 is trying to redo the covenants to remove 2006 investor info and such. Holy crap, there are some butt hurt peeps in these 32 townhouses. Board members too. "The irrigation, the trees, cats need to be leashed, American flags.... Eff you bastards, run for the board..." Gonna be fun next Thursday.

Which pot to stir.....:D

And lumber is too damn high. 100' trees be damned.

Reactions: Ajay