a 8' 2x4 is over 10 bucks now :o

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I would not mind having a portable lumber mill at this point, could make good money. There's already people on local FB marketplace doing just that. Selling rough cut lumber.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I tried to buy a log arch last week. Four month backorder due to supply chain issues. Thinking about having one fabricated by a welder, cause four months is too long, and I could really use one now

Nov 20, 2009
And if those prices aren't bad enough to turn your gut just wait as 'nature' will be burning billions of cords this summer. "Don't cut it down" and "Let nature deal with it" as it delivers tons of CO2 greenhouse gases. Woohoo!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The lumber is still in my garage and it's almost tempting to trade it in for a Tesla... lol.
My cousin has a Tesla in her garage. I have some lumber in mine. Comes in handy. Haven't bought any since can't remember when... well, I guess it was when I replaced one of the garage walls summer 2017..

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
And if those prices aren't bad enough to turn your gut just wait as 'nature' will be burning billions of cords this summer. "Don't cut it down" and "Let nature deal with it" as it delivers tons of CO2 greenhouse gases. Woohoo!
A tree can only produce as much CO2, as it already sunk out of the atmosphere as a carbon sink. The solution is plant more trees, then of course, forest management too.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I put off building a cedar fence last year. Now I can’t find prefabricated 4x8’ panels. Only pressure treated pine is available this year, and costs more than cedar last year. Ugh!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Or here in Ontario... they just spray the hell out of the forests to kill everything but the conifers, so it makes for an even bigger fire!

I only found this out recently that they've been doing this... it's freaking horrible. There's been petitions to make it stop but we have a conservative government, hell if they care about nature. Doubt nothing will stop them.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I was going to build my own queen platform bed with 2x6 and 2x4 lumber until I figured up the cost. I then got rid of all but one 2x4 and went with 1x1's to hold up the slats. The slats were supposed to be 2x4s but I cut that down tho 1x3s and the cost still would have been well over $150 because I didn't figure in the cost of any hardware. I ended up buying a popular bed kit for $266 but it was only made with 1x lumber. Nice kit though plus it had a headboard and simple footboard included.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's not just lumber and electronics that this is happening to. The cost of everything is going to sky rocket over the next few years. The logistics market is going crazy right now and the cost for OTR freight is insane.

Like @ultimatebob said supply side inflation is CRAZY right now and I don't see an end to it for at least 2-3 years.
Money-printers go "Brrrr"... thankfully, Bitcoin is here to save us.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
$102.48 for a 6x6x16 :eek:

6x6x8 is $51.24

I have 3 6x6x8 that I don't need, bought 6 when I was building my shed and only needed 3 and not 6. Who would have known wood could be treated as a stock, I can actually make money with this lol. Going to be reasonable and put it on FB marketplace for like $30/each and see what I get.

These prices are scary in a way though, makes you wonder if it will go back to normal or stay high. But also makes me wonder about the future, what will it be like in 10-20 years. Everything keeps going up because of inflation, at some point these prices will possibly be the norm.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Eventually those prices will be normal, but if you're still alive, you'll be making more money to pay for it. In the short term, shit's screwed up, but it'll correct in the not distant future.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Salaries don't keep up with inflation though that's the issue. I'm sure these prices will come down, but will they go back to what they were pre covid, that is the real question. I'm not making more money than I was making pre covid, or even 10 years ago. Inflation is a bad thing as it means our money does not go as far.

As a side note just made $80 selling the 3 ones I had. Maybe I need to start trading lumber instead of stocks. I have a lot of lumber in my basement lol.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm not making more money than I was making pre covid, or even 10 years ago. Inflation is a bad thing as it means our money does not go as far.
You're either in a dead-end job, or you need to take courses in "the art of negotiation".

Edit: Or just quit, and find a (new) job in a more metropolitan area, where there is more demand for skilled tech workers.

Edit: You work for "the phone company", right? Maybe the job security is good, and you like where you're living? Maybe pick up some side gigs, YouTube/Crypto/web sites/etc.?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Congrats on the sale.

Think of what you could buy when you were young vs what you can buy now. For the most part, people can get more with less money. There's some exceptions, and inflation/salaries don't sync up perfectly, but over a period of time, it ends up being just about the same, with technological improvements giving people more for less.

A few years ago I bought a very low end smartphone for $40. It wasn't great, but everything worked. It made calls, had gps, a camera, and got online without it being a frustrating experience. I don't think you could have bought a shitty walkman in the 80s for $40, and that's the uncorrected price. Things are better than ever as far as purchasing power goes.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You're either in a dead-end job, or you need to take courses in "the art of negotiation".

Edit: Or just quit, and find a (new) job in a more metropolitan area, where there is more demand for skilled tech workers.

Edit: You work for "the phone company", right? Maybe the job security is good, and you like where you're living? Maybe pick up some side gigs, YouTube/Crypto/web sites/etc.?

Does not matter, all employers are paying as least as possible and always finding ways to cut. I work for what is considered a higher paying job there is not much that pays this high here other than the mines. The issue is not that jobs are not paying enough it's that everything keeps going up in price. If you start asking for too much it's considered self entitled but you can't really ask for more, you get what they pay you or they show you the door. With all the immigrants they are bringing in it's making this even worse as they are willing to work for minimum wage since they all live 10+ people in a house.

This is not the 90's anymore. You are considered lucky to even have a job these days.

And yeah I remember getting 5 bucks as a kid and I could buy a lot. Heck even as a teenager I remember $10 being enough for a fast food meal. Our money goes less and less further every year and this is a huge problem. Eventually something has to give. It's slowly pricing out the ability of people to buy a home as well.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If you start asking for too much it's considered self entitled but you can't really ask for more, you get what they pay you or they show you the door.
Stop being so self-defeating, and take some classes in negotiation.

With all the immigrants they are bringing in it's making this even worse as they are willing to work for minimum wage since they all live 10+ people in a house.
If a bunch of immigrants packed 10 to a house, can "take your job", then you're in a lot worse shape job-wise than I imagined. I thought that you were skilled tech labor. And if you ARE, then MAKE them pay you what you're WORTH.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Stop being so self-defeating, and take some classes in negotiation.

If a bunch of immigrants packed 10 to a house, can "take your job", then you're in a lot worse shape job-wise than I imagined. I thought that you were skilled tech labor. And if you ARE, then MAKE them pay you what you're WORTH.

I don't think you understand how it works. You can't just ask your boss for more money. The boss does not even have that kind of power. Salaries are set by corporate and set in stone. They go up by 0.5% to 1% depending on if you end up with a decent union agreement but those can be hard to get now days, companies want to remove stuff, not add stuff. For the jobs that might let you negotiate you can only negotiate DOWN. If two people negotiate they will hire the one who negotiated less because it will cost them less. They don't care about skill they care about profit and you make more profit if your costs are lower. That's why most companies outsource manufacturing to China now, it's cheaper, even if the quality is not as good as if they hired skilled workers.

There are different pay rates for different jobs. I have one of the highest in the company outside of management. I have zero interest in being a manager. Does not matter how good you are at negotiating, there is nobody to negotiate to that is willing to make changes. Whatever your pay rate is, is what your pay rate is. The fact that needing to make more money to keep up with costs of living actually proves my entire point of how inflation is a bad thing. You should not even need to do any of that to continue living at the same standard.

Back in the old days it was typical for the husband to have a job and wife to stay home with kids and they had more than enough money for everything, now both parents work and it's barely enough to keep up with bills. Lot of people need more than one job even. I know people who have 3 jobs. It's nuts. This is a problem and it's only getting worse with time. I consider myself lucky enough that I make enough money to be able to live alone, but for most people they just don't make that kind of money. This is a big problem that everything keeps going up like that as it's only going to get worse and worse for everyone.

And yeah you can get side gigs but again that proves my whole point that costs of living keep going up so you need to work harder and harder just to keep up with it, this is not long term sustainable.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
And yeah I remember getting 5 bucks as a kid and I could buy a lot.

I remember $10 being enough for a fast food meal.

iu

Admittedly this price is based on REAL dollars ... but still! ;)

Deluxe-Squirrel-Diet-15-lb-1.jpg

A bargain at $10.95! :D

See? There IS hope!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: snoopy7548

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i read an article that said that having a job isn't enough anymore, it's all about those side hustles

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Back in the old days it was typical for the husband to have a job and wife to stay home with kids and they had more than enough money for everything, now both parents work and it's barely enough to keep up with bills.
Back in those days, you had exactly one tv in the house, and it was usually b&w. Now people have a huge tv in every room cause "LoL, why not?!" People back in the day had more than enough money cause there wasn't as much they could afford to buy. You bought what you needed, took one vacation a year, and spent a little bit on some hobbies. The average American would look like a millionaire to a 1960 American.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
i read an article that said that having a job isn't enough anymore, it's all about those side hustles

Yeah which is kind of sad really. Shows how bad things are. I think that's why stuff like Uber etc is so popular as it's a side gig pretty much anyone can do if they want to.

I'm not quite at a point where I need to yet but I just worry about the future as it may get to that point. Basically need to work harder to stay afloat.

Reactions: Captante

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Back in those days, you had exactly one tv in the house, and it was usually b&w. Now people have a huge tv in every room cause "LoL, why not?!" People back in the day had more than enough money cause there wasn't as much they could afford to buy. You bought what you needed, took one vacation a year, and spent a little bit on some hobbies. The average American would look like a millionaire to a 1960 American.

when i grew up we did 1 travel vacation every 5 years

after i saved money in my 20s i started traveling a lot in my 30s (once a year, even did some international)

but now, with COVID, i don't think i'll want to travel again for another decade

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah which is kind of sad really. Shows how bad things are. I think that's why stuff like Uber etc is so popular as it's a side gig pretty much anyone can do if they want to.

I'm not quite at a point where I need to yet but I just worry about the future as it may get to that point. Basically need to work harder to stay afloat.

All kidding aside I completely agree, except I'm less concerned for myself then I am for my daughters... frankly I've already had a pretty decent run if I die tomorrow! (and I appreciate it!)

Can't speak for Canadiens but far as things go in the US I think we're literally in the calm before the storm in terms of civil unrest and economic upheaval in this country.

Seriously anyone young enough should be making plans to GTFO before the morons ARE the actual majority!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

One time purchases like TVs are not really the big issue though, it's all the reoccurring costs of living as well as the big ticket items like cars and houses. My parent's house for example was built new for 80 grand 35 years ago and they were both working fairly low paying jobs. Now it would go for 300k easily. Salaries have not increased by that rate at all in that time.