A 4GHz Quadcore on it's knees? Crysis physics demo!

Aug 9, 2007
This just made my day:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VaHS-y_mapQ

Some guy toyed with Crysis own physics engine in the sandbox editor. He stacked thousands of boxes and used tornadoes on them. Beautiful music too.
Due to the nature of the physics lagging when the CPU can't keep up with the GPU rendering the frames, this would make a cool benchmark!
I'd really like to get my hands on that physics demo just to see when my Quadcore craps out.

Just when you think games won't evolve more you see this and you know that there is still a long road of progress and cpu speed ahead of us.

EDIT:
Higher quality version at:
http://www.stage6.com/user/Neillithan/video/1911267/

Fadardo

Jun 10, 2007
What he did to change it from the stuttering 0.15fps it would normally run at was have the physics process run off the gpu instead of the cpu.

Aug 9, 2007
Yeah but he had a E4300, so a nice 6Ghz Quadcore theoretically could run this at maybe 1fps. If we take it for granted that there won't be a silver bullet for physics algorithms in the future you can imagine what piece of hardware we would need for a game with such effects. If you would want this to run at 30fps you'd need the Intel 80core processor OCed to the max.
Maybe seperate physics accelerator cards still have a future...

maxster

Banned
Sep 19, 2007
Hahah. At first I thought it was running at actual playable frames. Then I was like. . . wait a minute.

Renob

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Very cool, felt a little strange seeing the plane fly into the boxes, seemed a little like 9/11

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Would one those Ageais Physics card help to bring the fps to a respectable rate or is that a waste of money.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: CPA
Would one those Ageais Physics card help to bring the fps to a respectable rate or is that a waste of money.

waste of $$ - crysis does not (to my knowledge) use ageia for its physics.

ageia enabled games are all shit (at least when ageia physics are enabled) save for COH (city of heroes) and GRAW. although as i recall from AT's ageia/graw test, using ageia physics *lowered* framerates instead of speeding them up due to greater physics calculations, despite offloading them to the PPU.

warmonger and cell factor were laughable at best.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'm not really sure what I was watching there, but that had to be one of the coolest things evar! :Q

KT

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Part of the reason I have been supportive of the idea of a properly done PPU...it would be so cool for non linear play.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
Originally posted by: CPA

waste of $$ - crysis does not (to my knowledge) use ageia for its physics.

ageia enabled games are all shit (at least when ageia physics are enabled) save for COH (city of heroes) and GRAW. although as i recall from AT's ageia/graw test, using ageia physics *lowered* framerates instead of speeding them up due to greater physics calculations, despite offloading them to the PPU.

warmonger and cell factor were laughable at best.

Are you sure you're thinking 'city of heroes' and not COMPANY of heroes?

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Is this even using all four cores? When I play Crysis it doesn't even reach 50% CPU usage. AKA the game doesn't use 2 of my cores.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: JBT
Is this even using all four cores? When I play Crysis it doesn't even reach 50% CPU usage. AKA the game doesn't use 2 of my cores.

It's misleading, I mean that video is. Because right now Crysis does NOT use a Quad Core as originally intended. Not because it can't, but because there's a bug currently that the developers are surely fixing. Same thing goes for SLi (and probably Crossfire too).

Here is one article showing the situation: http://www.extremetech.com/art.../0,1558,2209093,00.asp

By the way, yes, they were testing the Demo, but currently as we speak it was confirmed I believe on the InCrysis forums (www.incrysis.com) that even the final version is affected by the bug (and the author of that article above wasn't aware of it of course at the time of the testing just like everyone else).

Here, another article about it: http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/005860.html

So right now I think Crysis doesn't use even three Cores properly, heck even my own Dual Core is RARELY capped even when playing around some of my Sanbox2-made maps.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Holy macaroni did you guys see the quality of the first few seconds where he hits that korean? It's insane! How do I get THAT