A 12-step apology leads to a guilty plea

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: KAZANI
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Originally posted by: Vic
Why the laughter and scorn? This William Beebe, for all his faults in the past, is obviously a better man than most.

Huh? A raping drunkard? Oh, my! What high standards you have!!

That's a redeemed raping drunkard and it makes a big difference, although unfortunately your bigotry impedes you from acknowledging it.

oh yes he is far better then most rapist. where we are having problems with what vic said is "obviously a better man than most". NO he is not.

I have more respect for a person who will redeem himself from the biggest of personal fsck-ups, as opposed to a person who have never fscked up at all.

Refusing to forgive others only shows the world that you refuse to forgive yourself.

I have more respect for the man that fights the temptations and lead a good life. i think its harder to fight them then give in and ask for forgivness.

Also you will NOT find anyone that has NO fvck ups. the diffrence is the size of them. sure i have done dumb things and caused people trouble and i know my wife and all my friends have.

but the diffrence is teh worst thing done is nowhere near th elevel or rape or other crimes such as this (or any that would require jail time). hell i would imigain 97% on ATOT are the same.

while he does earn some respect for finally takeing blame. he still did a vile crime that should not be forgotten. he had the choice to not make it and did not. but the guy is better then almost all rapist etc. and he is on the right track of salvation and for t hat i give him credit.

Gilligansdingy

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2005
The guy is full of bs.... He used the AA thing as a way to get off easy after he ****** up. He was reliving his rape by talking to her. 20 to 1 odds he still beats off to that memory...

Hes a rapist... there are NO GOOD rapists.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Gilligansdingy
The guy is full of bs.... He used the AA thing as a way to get off easy after he ****** up. He was reliving his rape by talking to her. 20 to 1 odds he still beats off to that memory...

Hes a rapist... there are NO GOOD rapists.

i disagree with most.

i do beleive he is doing it because he wants to. IF he didnt he would continue to lie about it. he had gotten away with the rape.

the only reason he was caught was because he brought it up again to the victim.

i do not beleive he is doing it to "relive" his crime. it really sounds like you are watching to much Law and order:SVU or something.

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
The man tried to do a good thing and amend the past. I'm sure his intentions were not to bring up old hurtful feelings for the lady. I feel pretty sad for him, he couldh ave just as easily never apologized and she would never had known that he was sorry for what he had done or if he had continued his lifestyle of raping women.

If I was on the jury I would give this guy the minimum sentence, if not find him innocent. 22 Years is a long time ago, prison is supposed to be about rehabilitation and obviously that has already happened.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: GalvanizedYankee
Originally posted by: rise
Originally posted by: jemcam
2. aa is for quitters.

Yes, it is. I'm proud to be a "quitter" for two years now.
you beat me to it with the 9th step quote :) the key is "except when to so so...." this is the type of thing you leave at the 5th step and make amends in a different way through charity, volunteerism etc.

i'm just over 2 years myself, had 5 at one time.

I surrendered on May 1, 1982....Yeah baby! Never had it so good!
Hang in there guys, the best is yet to come. :cool:

This was a foul amends because of the pain that had to be relived by the woman.

This sober asshat needs to do living amends through volenteer work that would
let him feel the pain he caused.
Going to Al-Anon meetings and remaining silent would be a good start.

...Galvanized

His victim was the one who contacted the police and had him arrested.After all those years she finally got to see justice done,she has some closure and can take some comfort in knowing that this incident will now haunt him for the rest of his life just as it's haunted her.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: TravisT
The man tried to do a good thing and amend the past. I'm sure his intentions were not to bring up old hurtful feelings for the lady. I feel pretty sad for him, he couldh ave just as easily never apologized and she would never had known that he was sorry for what he had done or if he had continued his lifestyle of raping women.

If I was on the jury I would give this guy the minimum sentence, if not find him innocent. 22 Years is a long time ago, prison is supposed to be about rehabilitation and obviously that has already happened.

I agree partly.

he should be get some time. 6 months. he is rehiblitated. but he should do some time for hideing it for so long.

but i agree the minimum is fine.

the state is recommending 2 years. wich is fine. with good time etc he should be out in what 9 months or less?

he does deserve some time. Not as much as i would give other rapiest though

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: DaShen
Originally posted by: Izzo
What's up with all of you rapist sympathizers? Since when are people that look down on rapists "self righteous??" We're not talking about an alleged rapist here. We're talking about a guy who admitted and plead guilty to it.

And I don't buy the whole "well haven't you ever done something you are ashamed of" line of reasoning. Sure everybody has done something like lying, cheating, stealing type stuff. But not raping.

So I hereby grant everyone who has not raped anyone the freedom to continue to look down upon rapists as the scum they are (even if they are apologetic) without the threat of receiving rolling-eyes smilie faces and being labeled as self righteous.

It is self-righteous, and I am a virgin, so no rape committed here.

But you look at a female and picture yourself having sex with her, you are at least raping her in your mind, and most guys are guilty of that. I mean, hypothetically, if you allowed the girl you just fantasized about to take a glimpse of what you were thinking 9/10 times they will think it is unwarranted.

Absolutely not. At least personally, if I "picture myself having sex with another person", I don't imagine them screaming and pleading with me not to rape them. I also don't get off because I have power over another person. The pyschological and physiological factors are much different with rape than normal sex. It is an issue of power and dominance over another human being with rape.

Apparently, in this persons view merely having sex is rape. Women are always victims in his/her eyes.

shuttleboi

Jul 5, 2004
In my opinion, this guy is a better person than than the woman. She is carrying out revenge, but here's the rub: she would not be having this revenge if not for the guy's willingness to admit his actions. He is being doubly punished: once by himself for finally admitting his actions, and twice by this woman. Forgive and forget is better than revenge. I know that this woman will get hers some day.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: shuttleboi
In my opinion, this guy is a better person than than the woman. She is carrying out revenge, but here's the rub: she would not be having this revenge if not for the guy's willingness to admit his actions. He is being doubly punished: once by himself for finally admitting his actions, and twice by this woman. Forgive and forget is better than revenge. I know that this woman will get hers some day.

I don't really see any revenge in this story. Maybe I missed it?