A 12-step apology leads to a guilty plea

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
cnn
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia (AP) -- A man who sexually assaulted a fellow University of Virginia student in 1984 and then apologized to her two decades later as part of the 12-step Alcoholics Anonymous program pleaded guilty to the crime Tuesday.

"This began as an effort to make amends," William Beebe said in a statement outside of court. "Twenty-two years ago I harmed another person and I have tried to set that right."

Beebe, 41, of Las Vegas, Nevada, entered his plea in Charlottesville Circuit Court to one count of aggravated sexual battery for assaulting Liz Seccuro during a party at a fraternity house.

Under AA's ninth step, alcoholics are advised to make amends to those they've harmed. Last year, Beebe -- a member of AA -- decided to write Seccuro a letter to make amends for assaulting her.

Seccuro, 39 and living in Greenwich, Connecticut, said Beebe's letter reopened old wounds when it arrived in September 2005. She eventually replied to his letter and the two entered into a two-month e-mail correspondence.

In their e-mails, which Seccuro provided to The Associated Press, Beebe told Seccuro he had long been haunted by what he had done, and wanted to atone for having harmed her.

But Seccuro became upset when his account did not match with her memory of the assault, which she describes as violent and savage. She was 17 years old and still a virgin when Beebe attacked her, she said.

In December, Seccuro called Charlottesville police to report what had happened. As there is no statute of limitations on felonies in Virginia, Beebe was arrested in Las Vegas and extradited to Virginia.

Beebe had been scheduled to face trial November 27 on charges of rape and object sexual penetration. He could have faced life in prison if convicted of those charges.

Prosecutor Claude Worrell told the court that one of the main reasons his office agreed to a plea is because the investigation revealed that more than one person may have assaulted Seccuro.

Under the agreement, the state recommended that Beebe serve two years in prison. Formal sentencing is set for March 15. Beebe will remain free on bond until then.

During his court appearance Tuesday, Beebe glanced at Seccuro often, his expression almost serene. Seccuro -- flanked by her former sorority sisters and husband -- stared straight ahead, avoiding his gaze.

When Beebe entered his plea -- "guilty as charged" -- Seccuro bowed her head and wiped away tears.

Outside of court Tuesday, Seccuro said tearfully, "I think that the idea of closure for any victim of a sexual assault is not reality. There is never closure.

Seccuro went public with her name and story, hoping to inspire other sexual assault survivors to seek help. She launched a donor fund called STARS -- Sisters Together Assisting Rape Survivors -- to raise money for programs helping rape victims and their families.

HAHAHAH he should have stayed a drunk! good for the women to call the cops and report him.

I have to give him some respect for saying sorry. but hell still wouldnt feel bad if he was thrown injail for a few years.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
his sponsor should have told him not to do such a stupid thing, especially in writing.

moron.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Why the laughter and scorn? This William Beebe, for all his faults in the past, is obviously a better man than most.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
Why the laughter and scorn? This William Beebe, for all his faults in the past, is obviously a better man than most.

i disagree with that. while he does get some respect for apologizing and admitting it. he is not a better man than most. IF he was he would NOT have done it in the first place.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: rise
his sponsor should have told him not to do such a stupid thing, especially in writing.

moron.

I'd hardly call him being a moron. The man wants to make up for past wrongs he has done to other people, and while he can never do that personally, he is at least facing up to the consequences resulting from his actions.

Also, I'm sure he knew that there was a very good chance that he'd be doing some prison time as a result of the letters. And he accepted that.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy

i disagree with that. while he does get some respect for apologizing and admitting it. he is not a better man than most. IF he was he would NOT have done it in the first place.

Well, excuse me, Mr. Fscking Perfect!

:roll:

I, personally, have more respect for people who admit to and atone for their past mistakes, no matter how bad, as opposed to those who cannot even admit to their past mistakes, no matter how minor.

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
The entire 9th step goes like this:

Step 9: Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

I'm surprised his sponsor did not advise him that this would harm others, specifically her family, husband, and kids. The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous is very specific on not making amends if it is certain that no good can come from it. I'd be surprised if he has a sponsor, and if so, he was actually advised to make these amends.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
1. he's only better than other rapists who don't atone.

2. aa is for quitters.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
He was an irresponsible ass in 1984, caused significant harm to another person, and now he's admitted it. He should be punished now just as he should have been back at the time of the crime.

True, most scum wouldn't admit to this kind of thing, or try to "make amends". So you can go ahead and say that he's better than your average scum, but he is still scum.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: jemcam
2. aa is for quitters.

Yes, it is. I'm proud to be a "quitter" for two years now.
you beat me to it with the 9th step quote :) the key is "except when to so so...." this is the type of thing you leave at the 5th step and make amends in a different way through charity, volunteerism etc.

i'm just over 2 years myself, had 5 at one time.

Umberger

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2005

It's possible that he wasn't a better man than most, but that he is now... it takes a lot to stand up and admit something like that. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but people can change.

/$0.02

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003

I, personally, have more respect for people who admit to and atone for their past mistakes, no matter how bad, as opposed to those who cannot even admit to their past mistakes, no matter how minor.

It sounds like this was very violent and scarring. Not something to be forgiven easily.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: preslove

It sounds like this was very violent and scarring. Not something to be forgiven easily.

But Seccuro became upset when his account did not match with her memory of the assault, which she describes as violent and savage.

Prosecutor Claude Worrell told the court that one of the main reasons his office agreed to a plea is because the investigation revealed that more than one person may have assaulted Seccuro.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Umberger

It's possible that he wasn't a better man than most, but that he is now... it takes a lot to stand up and admit something like that. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but people can change.

/$0.02

I thought that the step to making amends is only done if it does not hurt the victim.

In this case it reopened old wounds, so he probably should not have done it. But I do respect the fact that he claimed responsibility and accepted the consequences. Although I think he should have taken more time to think about talking to this woman. It might have unburdened his conscience, but it may have hurt the girl. :( Hopefully she can get over this.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

You never made a mistake or had something happen in your past that haunts your memories? Your self righteous attitude stinks to hell and you're wrong.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

Theres alot of guys sitting in jail because they "raped" someone.
In fact, wasnt that poor girl in Cali "raped" by those four big mean men......Good thing one of them had the video showing her begging for more, or they'd ALL be in jail.

I take rape cries with a grain of salt.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Specop 007

Theres alot of guys sitting in jail because they "raped" someone.
In fact, wasnt that poor girl in Cali "raped" by those four big mean men......Good thing one of them had the video showing her begging for more, or they'd ALL be in jail.

I take rape cries with a grain of salt.

acept in th is case. the guy plead guilty.

otherwise i do agree. the Duke case is a perfect example of it. they were branded "rapist" before more information came out.

Originally posted by: randay

You never made a mistake or had something happen in your past that haunts your memories? Your self righteous attitude stinks to hell and you're wrong.

I sure have.

anything on the lines of rape? nope. not even ****** close to it.

As i said i do have respect for the guy admiting fault and apolgizing (and joining AA t hough i didnt say it earlyer). But that does not make him a better man then most. as someone posted it makes him better then other scum.

I have respect for Jemcam for being sober 2 years. he is takeing resbonility for something that may have hurt his family etc. he now has control over it.

i have respect (little) for someone aplologizing and takeing resbonsility for actions they have done (not many who commit rape would do so). that fact he is trying to fix his mistakes and get sober is great.

But i have more respect for those that have done there best to live without commiting such crimes as rape, etc.

edit: edited to change it. sounded like i was knocking jemcam when i did not mean to

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004

So a kid who lies about stealing a candy bar is worse than a murderer if the murderer plead guilty?

Respect is a case-by-case basis to me... and it's hard earned.

Izzo

May 30, 2003
What's up with all of you rapist sympathizers? Since when are people that look down on rapists "self righteous??" We're not talking about an alleged rapist here. We're talking about a guy who admitted and plead guilty to it.

And I don't buy the whole "well haven't you ever done something you are ashamed of" line of reasoning. Sure everybody has done something like lying, cheating, stealing type stuff. But not raping.

So I hereby grant everyone who has not raped anyone the freedom to continue to look down upon rapists as the scum they are (even if they are apologetic) without the threat of receiving rolling-eyes smilie faces and being labeled as self righteous.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by: rise
Originally posted by: jemcam
2. aa is for quitters.

Yes, it is. I'm proud to be a "quitter" for two years now.
you beat me to it with the 9th step quote :) the key is "except when to so so...." this is the type of thing you leave at the 5th step and make amends in a different way through charity, volunteerism etc.

i'm just over 2 years myself, had 5 at one time.

I surrendered on May 1, 1982....Yeah baby! Never had it so good!
Hang in there guys, the best is yet to come. :cool:

This was a foul amends because of the pain that had to be relived by the woman.

This sober asshat needs to do living amends through volenteer work that would
let him feel the pain he caused.
Going to Al-Anon meetings and remaining silent would be a good start.

...Galvanized

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

It takes some serious backbone to own up to your mistakes & faults, especially when something like potential prosecution is possible.

I give the guy a hearty two thumbs up.

Perhaps if everyone owned up to their mistakes and tried to make amends with those they've wronged, we wouldn't have this "victim" culture.