970 GTX owners, about that settlement...

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Some may know, others may not know or care. But the 970GTX has 4GB of RAM and yet 1GB of that was "separate" from the 3GB block, which killed your framerate if any game needed more than that 3GB. There was a class action lawsuit about this that Nvidia lost, and they were supposed to pay out $30 to verified 970 owners...Im wondering if anyone has received their $30? I put in the details of my purchase back in November and i have not received anything.

Reactions: Bacon1

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
It was 3.5gb + .5gb. And performance did not necessarily suffer above 3gb. It was only in first few weeks after the 970s release that the issue was discovered when some users experienced it with heavily modded Skyrim. Subsequent driver optimizations eliminated the problem, so that going above 3.5gb would not affect performance any more than a 780ti would above 3gb. Personally didnt care enough to ask for compensation.

Reactions: whm1974

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
The claims for that was months ago, no idea if you can still claim it or not. I received multiple notifications and instructions from Newegg since I bought my 970 there but I honestly couldn't be bothered. Never really cared about the issue and that GPU has been fantastic for me over the years.

Last edited:

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Sorry to hear that OP, have you emailed / called them? Crazy people are still defending Nvidia over this...

Yeah, isn't it? Reminds me of the RX 480 going out of PCIe spec, drawing too much power from the slot, and frying motherboards. People defended AMD then by saying only cheap motherboards died.

The things fan boys will accuse the other side of....

AMD has nothing to do with this.

AT Moderator ElFenix

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DooKey

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Sorry to hear that OP, have you emailed / called them? Crazy people are still defending Nvidia over this...

Its only $30 but i might call them up about it. Its more the idea than anything, and the fact that it was offered in the first place. When i first received the notice in Oct or Nov i thought it was a scam until i googled it.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Yeah, isn't it? Reminds me of the RX 480 going out of PCIe spec, drawing too much power from the slot, and frying motherboards. People defended AMD then by saying only cheap motherboards died.

I have never understood the video card loyalty, i mean i could see it wayyyyy back when 3dfx was still around and perhaps when the first Radeons came out, those cards had awesome image quality compared to the competition but overall crap drivers compared to Nvidia [wow that makes me feel old lol]...The differences were easy to see, and there were tradeoffs. Nowadays, the cards are neck and neck in nearly all areas.

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I have never understood the video card loyalty, i mean i could see it wayyyyy back when 3dfx was still around and perhaps when the first Radeons came out, those cards had awesome image quality compared to the competition but overall crap drivers compared to Nvidia [wow that makes me feel old lol]...The differences were easy to see, and there were tradeoffs. Nowadays, the cards are neck and neck in nearly all areas.
Speaking for myself, since I use Linux I'll go with Intel CPUs and nVidia GPU for the simple fact that they are better supported under Linux than AMD products are at this time. And yes I'm aware that is slowly changing, but AMD has some work to do Linux support especially with their GPUs.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
I claimed as well, no response so far. if it would happen -ok. if not, ok as well. $30 is not something worth worrying about too much.. you are not alone

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Speaking for myself, since I use Linux I'll go with Intel CPUs and nVidia GPU for the simple fact that they are better supported under Linux than AMD products are at this time. And yes I'm aware that is slowly changing, but AMD has some work to do Linux support especially with their GPUs.

Hmm i completely forgot about Linux, thats a good point. I know Nvidia has always been pretty strong with Linux so there ya go. I think with Android being so competitive to IOS AMD will have to improve its Linux support, its not really a choice if they want to move into that market.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016

Did anyone actually claim this to happen? I would think it would have taken years.

There was a video of a board not booting, but that's all I recall.

I was very vocal about that 6 pin too. That was a disastrously bad decision, which I assume was made for marketing purposes.

AMD are often their own worst enemy.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
It was 3.5gb + .5gb. And performance did not necessarily suffer above 3gb. It was only in first few weeks after the 970s release that the issue was discovered when some users experienced it with heavily modded Skyrim. Subsequent driver optimizations eliminated the problem, so that going above 3.5gb would not affect performance any more than a 780ti would above 3gb. Personally didnt care enough to ask for compensation.
^^this, most of the whingers were AMD fans, as already shown in the thread.

Speaking of whinging ... .

AT Moderator ElFenix

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Arachnotronic

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Thread asking if people got their settlement check from Nvidia becomes a bash AMD thread. Well done people.

OP, check to make sure you submitted your claim before the cutoff date.

Reactions: Kuosimodo

atakall

Jan 18, 2010
For inquires into your claims submission, contact the claims administrator at 844-312-5253.

They will be able to answer your questions, including those concerning the status of your claim. Alas, most people should receive their award around the same general time as awards are distributed once the court grants the final distribution order (which was apparently issued here since some posts indicate receipt of the award).

As to the claims cut-off date, it is a firm date. However, in some instances where there is money remaining in the class pool, awards will still be distributed to late claimants. Again, it's not the norm but it does occur. The claims administrator may be able to provide guidance on the possibility of such in this case.

Hope this helps.

Jason Ives

Feb 23, 2017