9600GT review at tweaktown

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Originally posted by: Azn
Originally posted by: MegaWorks
:laugh:

I agree with Azn, more shaders is the right direction for future DX10 games. I know I don't have prof to back this up, but what I mean it's not really hard to figure it out just look at both AMD and nVidia current architectures lots of shaders. ;)

To me this card is a rip off. I don't want to be rude but I just feel that nVidia is selling us a garbage version of the 8800GT.

What about "better shaders" as opposed to more? Because "more" shaders do not seem to be helping the R6xx cores weighing in a 320sp's.

Pros:
smaller transistor count = smaller die size = less cost to make = less cost to consumer
= potentially higher overclockability = even more for your money.

Cons: Your turn

Not all SP are created equal.

You echo my sentiment. Better shaders would be more beneficial to all, than more shaders. From an all around perspective. Heat, Power, cost. Make it better, not bigger.

Not when they are based on the same technology.

You were talking about AMD 320SP vs Nvidia's SP... In this case they are different architecturally and not created equal.

But between G94, G84, G92 They are same. All you need to do is clock it accordingly.

yepp

Jul 30, 2006
Originally posted by: IsLNdbOi
Originally posted by: YEPP
http://www.tweaktown.com/revie..._g94_tested/index.html

Another nice option to replace my 7900GTO.

Edit: Its an OC version.

A whole load of reviews can be found linked from gpureview.

http://www.gpureview.com/geforce-9600-gt-card-557.html

So the review was of an overclocked version. How does a standard / vanilla version of the 9600GT compare to the 8800GT?

You can check out the review at firingsquad, they have the 9600GT along with an OC edition benched against the 8800GT. bit-tech has a nice review too, or you can check out anandtechs own review if you want to compare with the 8800GT 256MB.

Really have the itch to upgrade, only game at 1280x800(still using a 17"CRT) but Oblivion and the Witcher are still not as smooth as i want them to be.

Thinking long and hard but i think i'm going to have to pass on the 9600GT, most retailers here in the UK have the stock 9600GT for £120 and OC versions for £140. I could pick up a nicely cooled 3 phase power 8800GT 512MB for £140.

Just worried Fallout 3 will come along and cripples every card thats currently out. :laugh: Don't really want to upgrade again within a year.

Slaimus

Sep 24, 2000
Could the 8800GT with the same driver as the 9600GT gain a lot more frames? Nvidia may have made the 174 driver only support 9600GT on purpose to hide the performance difference compared to the 8800GT.

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: MegaWorks
:laugh:

I agree with Azn, more shaders is the right direction for future DX10 games. I know I don't have prof to back this up, but what I mean it's not really hard to figure it out just look at both AMD and nVidia current architectures lots of shaders. ;)

To me this card is a rip off. I don't want to be rude but I just feel that nVidia is selling us a garbage version of the 8800GT.

What about "better shaders" as opposed to more? Because "more" shaders do not seem to be helping the R6xx cores weighing in a 320sp's.

Pros:
smaller transistor count = smaller die size = less cost to make = less cost to consumer
= potentially higher overclockability = even more for your money.

Cons: Your turn

Keys I'm not denying the fact that nVidia as a better shader architecture than AMD. Well personalty I would buy a 3870 over the 9600GT, because AMD lowered there prices and you could CrossFire it on any intel chipest board (P965, 975, P35, X38, X48). nVidia chipest not thanks! :thumbsdown:

Look for an nVidia guy like yourself keys, I would get the 8800GT. It's not that expensive for what would you get with this card plus it has more than double the shaders for future gaming. I'm comparing nVidia with nVidia and not AMD in terms of shader architecture. :)

Edit: Anands 3870 vs 9600GT review

:D