92 Jeep Cherokee Question(S)!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GiggleGirl

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
ummmm i have a 3 yr old. and my vehicle is NOT safe.... its all fucked up in so many ways. so shut your lips. :)

and i dont want a flipping minivan! nooooooo, i just want a safer 4 door vehicle. that has proven safety track records. durrrrr

anyways. my vehicle choice has nothing to do with my mates. his car is his car and my car is my car. end of story

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
It could be worn parts like Ball Joints, chassis bushings or Tie Rods
that are worn out. There is also the chance a Motor Mount is broken.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Captain Howdy
I like how people still don't read threads before replying. The myth of needing a two ton vehicle to keep your family safe is just that, a myth.

I like my Jeep for it's durable prowess, not because I think it will keep me safe. Not sure what your family situation is, but it might be time to go to a 4-cyl minivan, depending on how whipped your mate is...

A 1992 Cherokee really isn't a safe vehicle. At that time it didn't have the side impact beams in the doors, and the roof was weak until they strengthened it later. I'd try to get rid of it. Maybe if you hint to your dad that you're worried about your kid's safety he'll give or lend you some money :D. Mid sized cars are cheap now. I've seen plenty of Camrys and the like on Craigslist for low low prices. And now that it's 2008, even a 10 year old car should be pretty reliable because it was during the 90s that carmakers really improved IIRC. Imagine if it was 1998 and you bought a 1988 car. YECHH

Some gearhead offroader will buy the Cherokee and gladly deal with the problems because it does have "durable prowess".

BTW, I hate when people say "You buy a Jeep for XXX not YYY". Usually the YYY is fuel economy but in this case safety. There is no reason not to expect a 3000lb unibody vehicle with a large torquey motor to get good gas mileage and be safe.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
When was the last time you had the shocks replaced?

I've actually had experienced what you're describing, but on a '78 GMC truck, the shocks were completely blown, and what you're feeling is a resonance that is undampened. But having replaced the shocks on my mom's '90 Cherokee (that they just gave to some family) a couple times, it's not a hard job.

...oh, and if you ever have to replace the fuel pump, there's a way to do it without dropping the tank :)

GiggleGirl

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
oddly enough, i was driving on the highway last night and i got up to and past 55mph with no crazy wobble or shake. im not sure if it was a fluke or not but who knows.
i know i probably need to bring it to a mechanic but i really cant afford it and i am SO likely to be the one who gets screwed over and scammed and taken. i know nothing about cars and im a single mom, im the perfect target for a mechanic to take advantage of my situation and say theres more things wrong than there actually is and start charging me out the ass for shit.
thats a big fear of mine...

anyways, i dunnnoooooo. lol

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005
As someone mentioned above, check the motor mounts.
I had a '92 XJ with the same problem and it turned out to be worn motor mounts. The engine was hitting the hood causing all kinds of vibrations when driving >50MPH.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I like how people still don't read threads before replying. The myth of needing a two ton vehicle to keep your family safe is just that, a myth.

You do realise that even an Accord is starting to close in on two tons these days, right? (Over 3,600 pounds for the EX V6, a Camry is similar.)

Shoot, the '92 Cherokee tipped the scales at only 3,028 pounds for the 4WD Laredo model. That's less than a stripped-down Accord DX (3,230 pounds) today.

A stripped-down Dodge Caravan is 3,991 pounds for comparison, while an optioned SXT model tips the scales at 4,172 pounds. The Caravan is relatively light too, the Kia Sedona comes in at a whopping 4,686 pounds in full dress, 4,387 pounds stripped. Even the little Honda Element, which is a stretch to call a minivan, weighs in at 3,433 pounds stripped and 3,580 pounds full dress.

Recommending a minivan as a lighter alternative just isn't valid. And, as the added number of safety features are really driving this massive increase in curb weight, it would seem that one actually does need a two ton vehicle to keep one's family safe.

ZV

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

You do realise that even an Accord is starting to close in on two tons these days, right? (Over 3,600 pounds for the EX V6, a Camry is similar.)

Shoot, the '92 Cherokee tipped the scales at only 3,028 pounds for the 4WD Laredo model. That's less than a stripped-down Accord DX (3,230 pounds) today.

ZV

Yup, my mom thought her '90 Cherokee was heavier than my truck because my truck puts down twice the HP to the ground and has a stiffer suspension and tighter (read: new) steering. She was surprised to find out that it was MUCH heavier. I estimated 600LBs or so, but it sounds like it's closer to 1200. The I-6 while delightfully torquey only made 150HP that year and got 15-20MPG (same as my heavier, more powerful truck). The engine bay did look like a good candidate for a small block, though headers would be a pipe dream. Today's cars while powerful, are pigs that make the Chevelle and Fury seem like light weights.

Fun Fact: 1987 Dodge Dakota curb weight: 2800LBs, 2007: 4600LBs.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth

ZV

Yup, my mom thought her '90 Cherokee was heavier than my truck because my truck puts down twice the HP to the ground and has a stiffer suspension and tighter (read: new) steering. She was surprised to find out that it was MUCH heavier. I estimated 600LBs or so, but it sounds like it's closer to 1200. The I-6 while delightfully torquey only made 150HP that year and got 15-20MPG (same as my heavier, more powerful truck). The engine bay did look like a good candidate for a small block, though headers would be a pipe dream. Today's cars while powerful, are pigs that make the Chevelle and Fury seem like light weights.

Cherokees are really light as far as SUVs go. The curb weight is just around 3000 lbs. Also, her '92 with the I6 will put out 190hp, not 150 hp. The 4.0 HO was one of the best engines Chrysler every made.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002

ZV

But even with all that extra weight with comparable engines (3.7 vs. 3.9) they get the same gas mileage.

GiggleGirl

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
ive completely lost all interest in what you guys are saying. LMAO just kidding! heheeeee

although knowing a lot of this stuff doesnt do anything for me.
what i really wanna know is how i can get a NEW car.... preferably a used scion xD maybe an 05 or 06 because i hear they dont make them new anymore :( and its really the car that i want

heres the ringer: me gots no moneyyyyy. hahaha

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Bignate603

ZV

Cherokees are really light as far as SUVs go. The curb weight is just around 3000 lbs. Also, her '92 with the I6 will put out 190hp, not 150 hp. The 4.0 HO was one of the best engines Chrysler every made.

Perhaps that is because Chrysler didn't design it ;)

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
You said the car stops shaking when it changes gears? Or is does it stop shaking when you drop below 55mph? Could be a big difference in what the issue is. If the shaking seems to be speed related, then I'd say yeah probably alignment or wheels need to be balanced. If it stops shaking when it changes gears and the rpms drop off on the transmission, then it could be a problem with the drive train. A bad u-joint on the driveshaft could give you that symptom. That would be the cheapest issue to fix I think. If not a u-joint then maybe a problem with the tranny which would be decidedly not-cheap to fix.

GiggleGirl

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
my car is very random. it hasnt been doing the severe shaking like it was before. its more like a small rumble right now....

well, an update: somehow my dome light was stuck on ON when the switches were not even set to ON. so something electrical is going on and well, the dome lights were on for 2 days straight without me knowing because i hadnt gone anywhere. sucked my battery completely

well i took it to a mechanic just for a quick fix in terms of the dome lighting and he took the fuse out from under the area where my brake and gas pedals are. well, now my radio isnt working and i checked the fuses and the radio one is in there and i dont know how to fix it. and i dont know where the dude put the fuse anyhow.

also, i had him replace my battery connection pieces because they were nasty and corroded and looked like fucking shit.... anyways, im feeling like my steering has improved after this... is that possible or does that make any sense? my steering has a tendency to stick really bad and i have to really twist the wheel to turn corners or even turn my tires when in reverse and coming out of reverse (like in a parking lot)... i dunno, but after he changed out the connectors, it just feels a lot looser and easier to maneuver... just was curious if a less corroded battery connection could cause that improvement... :)

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Don't know why your steering would be better. Did the mechanic have anything to say about the shaking?

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Don't know why your steering would be better. Did the mechanic have anything to say about the shaking?

That is strange. The steering shouldn't be affected by a change on your battery connections.

92jeepers

Jun 12, 2011
Check out the steering damper. It's a shock in the steering linkage. Death wobble solved for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.